This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

White rice causing stomach issues?

Fbmb

Fbmb Rising Star

I've recently been eating white jasmine rice from Thailand. It's gluten free, but I have been noticing loose stools after eating it. I don't have issues with gluten free processed foods that contain rice, so maybe it isn't the rice at all. But the last few times I've eaten it I've noticed issues the next morning. Last night I had some with butter and garlic powder on it, and I had chicken. Super bland meal. Had d this morning. I tolerate garlic, butter, and chicken fine. Any thoughts on this? Seems weird to me but I'm not sure what else it would be.

also, I should say that I eat rice Chex everyday and haven't noticed any problems with them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

What brand? Did you wash it well? Brand of garlic? Butter used by non gluten-free person with crumbs? What kind of chicken? Was it cooked in a way to avoid CC, and where did you get it/what brand chicken?   Those are my thoughts and questions when I read the story. I know fresh butcher chicken has been a issue with a few people along with some brands (IE Whole foods butchered/cut fresh is often contaminated as they use the same cutting board/prep area as the seasoned and breaded versions they sell)  The rice from some companies that deal with multiple grains might be contaminated unless strictly gluten-free version, still suggest you wash and sort it.   Garlic powder from some companies can be a issue with CC, I heard some odd stuff from a few companies doing some new mixtures causes CC issues but nothing affirmative so not going to give names. 

Other thoughts/worse case.....your developing a carb intolerance like I did and your will have to drop grains completely lol yeah I think I am a very rare case for this so no real worries.

Jmg Mentor

I eat jasmine rice from Thailand without issue. I think cross contamination unlikely as wheat isn't a large part of the diet out there. So there's the possibilities Ennis alludes to above. One other thought is the pan/cooker which you're using, is there any chance of cross contamination there?

Fbmb Rising Star
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

What brand? Did you wash it well? Brand of garlic? Butter used by non gluten-free person with crumbs? What kind of chicken? Was it cooked in a way to avoid CC, and where did you get it/what brand chicken?   Those are my thoughts and questions when I read the story. I know fresh butcher chicken has been a issue with a few people along with some brands (IE Whole foods butchered/cut fresh is often contaminated as they use the same cutting board/prep area as the seasoned and breaded versions they sell)  The rice from some companies that deal with multiple grains might be contaminated unless strictly gluten-free version, still suggest you wash and sort it.   Garlic powder from some companies can be a issue with CC, I heard some odd stuff from a few companies doing some new mixtures causes CC issues but nothing affirmative so not going to give names. 

Other thoughts/worse case.....your developing a carb intolerance like I did and your will have to drop grains completely lol yeah I think I am a very rare case for this so no real worries.

The rice says it's gluten free but I can call the company. I don't remember the brand. I didn't rinse it first. The chicken is Harvest land and it's organic. The garlic powder is McCormick and I've been using the same container for weeks and it doesn't bother me. The butter was new out of the package. 

Fbmb Rising Star
17 minutes ago, Jmg said:

I eat jasmine rice from Thailand without issue. I think cross contamination unlikely as wheat isn't a large part of the diet out there. So there's the possibilities Ennis alludes to above. One other thought is the pan/cooker which you're using, is there any chance of cross contamination there?

I don't think so. Been using that pan for a long time and haven't had issues.

plumbago Experienced

Hi,

Other than to suggest that simple carbohydrates like white rice digest much more quickly than more complex ones, and you may benefit from adding in some more fibrous vegetables to slow the process down, I would not have much to offer.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I will add, that per my Chinese-American girlfriend, no self-respecting Asian would consume rice without washing it three times!  It is a raw agricultural product.  But then there is the those who have told us that washing removes some good nutrients.  I choose to follow my Asian friends who have been consuming rice centuries long before dietitians began studying food nutrition.  

The odds that the rice is gluten contaminated is very low though.  

You do have a canary in your house (like me).  Is your three year old reacting (confirmed celiac)? If my hubby is not on the cranky, hit-by-the-flu feeling, bathroom hogging path, I can eliminate gluten as a suspect.  Something else is most likely to blame for my feeling poorly.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fbmb Rising Star
27 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I will add, that per my Chinese-American girlfriend, no self-respecting Asian would consume rice without washing it three times!  It is a raw agricultural product.  But then there is the those who have told us that washing removes some good nutrients.  I choose to follow my Asian friends who have been consuming rice centuries long before dietitians began studying food nutrition.  

The odds that the rice is gluten contaminated is very low though.  

You do have a canary in your house (like me).  Is your three year old reacting (confirmed celiac)? If my hubby is not on the cranky, hit-by-the-flu feeling, bathroom hogging path, I can eliminate gluten as a suspect.  Something else is most likely to blame for my feeling poorly.  

My husband and I ate dinner after our kids went to bed (they had mac and cheese), so little man didn't have any of this. But, we did make rice out of the same bag last week and he ate that and didn't seem to have any issues. I'm not so much concerned it's gluten, but that maybe I'm having some weird intolerance to rice. I just didn't know if that's even a thing. I didn't realize that people wash their rice first. I'm so naive. Maybe my nerves/depression are to blame. Been a really hard week in that department. 

Jmg Mentor
8 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

But, we did make rice out of the same bag last week

Are you using the rice that comes in pouches rather than loose? The pouch rice can have gluten added sometimes. I avoid it!

Ennis-TX Grand Master
38 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

maybe I'm having some weird intolerance to rice. I just didn't know if that's even a thing.

Yeah it is, we had a guy here a few months ago who realized he actually had a rice intolerance. I think 2 weeks ago someone posted about a allergy to rice.....odd as I thought it was hypoallergenic but I am not one to question odd allergies/intolerance. I myself can not have carbs or my gut visibly distends  in bloated pain, been a moderation thing where I thought I had bad gut bacteria for over a year. Then learned back in Feb it was cause of a another AI issues called Ulcerative Colitis and my triggers were carbs/sugars. IT was actually my intestines getting inflamed, and swelling.

It could be a issue with your being sensitive to the amount of garlic you used along with the large amount of carbs, I would say this is the most likely culprit after all you have said. I think your guts just a bit irritated. I know if I use too much spice on something my back end will either go D or C depending on the spice and if it caused a flare up or a purge.  I mean it already got onto you the other day about the dairy spurge right? Your gut is still moody then gets a garlicly carb blast.....I think it is still throwing a tantrum.

Fbmb Rising Star
2 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Yeah it is, we had a guy here a few months ago who realized he actually had a rice intolerance. I think 2 weeks ago someone posted about a allergy to rice.....odd as I thought it was hypoallergenic but I am not one to question odd allergies/intolerance. I myself can not have carbs or my gut visibly distends  in bloated pain, been a moderation thing where I thought I had bad gut bacteria for over a year. Then learned back in Feb it was cause of a another AI issues called Ulcerative Colitis and my triggers were carbs/sugars. IT was actually my intestines getting inflamed, and swelling.

It could be a issue with your being sensitive to the amount of garlic you used along with the large amount of carbs, I would say this is the most likely culprit after all you have said. I think your guts just a bit irritated. I know if I use too much spice on something my back end will either go D or C depending on the spice and if it caused a flare up or a purge.  I mean it already got onto you the other day about the dairy spurge right? Your gut is still moody then gets a garlicly carb blast.....I think it is still throwing a tantrum.

That kinda seems to make sense. I ate a ton of rice. Like probably 2 cups worth. 

CaliSparrow Collaborator

When I was first dealing with a gut in disrepair, I was unable to tolerate rice. A few years later, I have added it back in but don't eat a lot of it. Oats are still out of the question.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Ditto on Ennis's idea that you could be going to heavy on the rice in 1 sitting, either with or without garlic. I have this problem too. LOVE rice, but find it hard on my system if I eat too much at once. I can't handle much brown rice, and basmati seems to be the easiest to digest. To combat this problem I've been trying to eat at least as much meat/veg/other stuff as I do rice in one sitting (easier said than done). Try (TRY) cutting back on the amount and see if that helps.

I also buy Jasmine from Thailand and have never had any gluten issues. I always wash my rice, regardless of what kind it is. It gets dusty and you can cut down on the starch content a bit by rinsing it until the water is clear (the 3-times rule is a bit superstitious but it works).

knitty kitty Grand Master

Hi!  I had a problem with any variety of enriched rice.  I switched to Organic Basmati rice and no longer have a problem.

Organic rice does not have any added ingredients.  It's just rice.

Enriched rice has vitamins and minerals added by spraying or by dusting them onto the rice kernels. Hence the taboo against rinsing enriched rice. The vitamins will wash off.

Another method of enriching rice is by combining a "vitamin premix" with rice flour and forming kernels by extrusion.  These enriched kernels are then mixed with regular kernels.  The "vitamin premix" may use wheat as a source of B vitamins and may contain sulfites.  

Basmati rice has a lower glycemic index than Jasmine rice, so it doesn't make one's blood glucose go too high.  That's important to my type two diabetes.

Hope this helps.

Here's further information on rice:

Open Original Shared Link

Fbmb Rising Star
2 hours ago, CaliSparrow said:

When I was first dealing with a gut in disrepair, I was unable to tolerate rice. A few years later, I have added it back in but don't eat a lot of it. Oats are still out of the question.

I ate certified gluten-free oatmeal a few months ago and it bothered me. I haven't eaten any since.

CaliSparrow Collaborator
1 hour ago, Fbmb said:

I ate certified gluten-free oatmeal a few months ago and it bothered me. I haven't eaten any since.

Right. I first had gluten-free oats back in '13 shortly after going gluten-free but they hurt my stomach and I haven't had any until just recently.  I think they are just rough on the digestive track for some people.

Archived