Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
4 4
chefkaren71

whipped potatoes

Rate this topic

Can't help but post. We have laughed about it all weekend. I was contacting catering services and inquired about gluten-free options. I asked about the mashed potatoes, wanting to know if real potatoes, flakes or is anything added to them. When he said real potatoes and nothing added, I said great that is one thing I can eat. He proceeded to tell me "No, I whip my potatoes instead of beating them. This process causes them to become gluten containing."  Can you believe this? So, is this guy totally nuts or since there are things that start non gluten-free and end up gluten-free (bourbon sauces, etc) is there a way for it to go in reverse? It has become a standing joke at this point but thought I'd share so we all could have a good laugh.

My mind is boggling at wtf he's actually doing to the potatoes in question. Dr Freud would have a field day. :D I think I'd stay away regardless of gluten...

I was told that, too, once (see my post from 2015).  been eating them happily ever since as long as they don't add anything to them.

5 hours ago, chefkaren71 said:

Can't help but post. We have laughed about it all weekend. I was contacting catering services and inquired about gluten-free options. I asked about the mashed potatoes, wanting to know if real potatoes, flakes or is anything added to them. When he said real potatoes and nothing added, I said great that is one thing I can eat. He proceeded to tell me "No, I whip my potatoes instead of beating them. This process causes them to become gluten containing."  Can you believe this? So, is this guy totally nuts or since there are things that start non gluten-free and end up gluten-free (bourbon sauces, etc) is there a way for it to go in reverse? It has become a standing joke at this point but thought I'd share so we all could have a good laugh.

That's just stupid.  I wouldn't want to eat anything that guy makes.  He has no clue.

I feel I need to clarify something - a sauce that has gluten in it can not cook gluten out, if that is what you are saying.  

So when potatoes are whipped instead of mashed, it breaks the starch molecules and they become gummy and really sticky. I'm guessing that's what he was referring to. But clearly he doesn't know that the gumminess of gluten and the gumminess of potatoes are not the same thing. It's like glutinous rice. It's just starchy rice. No gluten at all. 

The lack of knowledge is really astounding. Especially since there is so much talk about gluten these days. 

• Upvote 1

I just think he hates potatoes. If he's not whipping them he's beating them. :(

See I find that if you whip them they get the gummy texture. I never thought about this "chef" being so stupid that he would think the texture (which I hate when in one big glop) is an indicator of it containing gluten. I did NOT use his service to say the least. However, unfortunately he isn't the only chef that has been totally clueless. One kept telling me and my mom as we walked down his buffet that we could eat this or that. When we asked what the gravy or the breading was he would say, "just all-purpose flour. I didn't add any gluten to it." OMG... he was trying to kill us apparently. About the sauce, Kareng, I had come here a week or so ago to get info about bourbon sauces. As I have seen many chain restaurants saying on their menu that their bourbon chicken, etc was gluten-free. My brain said by definition bourbon is gluten, so can't be gluten-free. However, I was surprised to read that it isn't the case. As the bourbon is distilled the gluten is filtered out of it so it actually is most likely gluten-free. I couldn't believe it. I did try it at Denny's & Applebee's last weekend. I did use my Gluten Assist that I always take if I didn't cook the food and didn't have any gut issues. Normally if I get any in my system I'm in the bathroom within 15 minutes and usually passed out from the pain and sudden evacuation of my system for hours. My mouth has been sore but I also fight thrush about all the time. So this has caused me to wonder if it is actually thrush or a "less than 20ppm" contact of gluten that has been making my mouth so sore all the time.

26 minutes ago, chefkaren71 said:

See I find that if you whip them they get the gummy texture. I never thought about this "chef" being so stupid that he would think the texture (which I hate when in one big glop) is an indicator of it containing gluten. I did NOT use his service to say the least. However, unfortunately he isn't the only chef that has been totally clueless. One kept telling me and my mom as we walked down his buffet that we could eat this or that. When we asked what the gravy or the breading was he would say, "just all-purpose flour. I didn't add any gluten to it." OMG... he was trying to kill us apparently. About the sauce, Kareng, I had come here a week or so ago to get info about bourbon sauces. As I have seen many chain restaurants saying on their menu that their bourbon chicken, etc was gluten-free. My brain said by definition bourbon is gluten, so can't be gluten-free. However, I was surprised to read that it isn't the case. As the bourbon is distilled the gluten is filtered out of it so it actually is most likely gluten-free. I couldn't believe it. I did try it at Denny's & Applebee's last weekend. I did use my Gluten Assist that I always take if I didn't cook the food and didn't have any gut issues. Normally if I get any in my system I'm in the bathroom within 15 minutes and usually passed out from the pain and sudden evacuation of my system for hours. My mouth has been sore but I also fight thrush about all the time. So this has caused me to wonder if it is actually thrush or a "less than 20ppm" contact of gluten that has been making my mouth so sore all the time.

A sauce made  with bourbon can be gluten free.  It depends on if they add any flour to thicken it.  But it can't start out with gluten and cook the gluten out.  

things that are distilled will be gluten free because of the process of distillation - it isn't a filtering system.  It's like those experiments from 5 th or 6 th grade with steam.  Gluten is the sand or rock or whatever the heavy thing was at your school.

Edited by kareng
  • Upvote 1

Bourbon is usually made from corn, not wheat or barley.  So it is generally gluten-free from the get go.

The wisdom of Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

Bourbon whiskey /bɜːrbən/ is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is unclear precisely what inspired the whiskey's name (contenders include Bourbon County in Kentucky and Bourbon Street in New Orleans).[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4]

...  article continues