This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Magnesium citrate

Victoria1234

Victoria1234 Experienced

So I'm sick of the C I keep getting and decided to get on the ball and try Ennis' suggestion of magnesium citrate. But I need to know a starting dosage, when to take it and how to take it (empty stomach, with food, 1x a day, 1 capsule of 100mg, etc)....  I have an important job interview tomorrow morning so I don't want to blow up my whole system taking a crazy amount the wrong way tonite!

any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Feeneyja Collaborator

I have been taking Hydro C (Open Original Shared Link) which has the same effect. I was instructed to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. That increases the absorption and then elimination with water into the colon. I take 1 tsp, plus use a glycerin suppository (otherwise nothing happens) and have a BM within 30 minutes.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I would suggest a powdered form to adjust the dosage, Natural Vitality Calm and start at 1/2 tsp. work the way up to the full 2 tsp dose if you can over 5-7 days. I take personally 2 heaping tsp twice a day. Seems to be my sweet spot.

Posterboy Mentor
1 hour ago, Victoria1234 said:

So I'm sick of the C I keep getting and decided to get on the ball and try Ennis' suggestion of magnesium citrate. But I need to know a starting dosage, when to take it and how to take it (empty stomach, with food, 1x a day, 1 capsule of 100mg, etc)....  I have an important job interview tomorrow morning so I don't want to blow up my whole system taking a crazy amount the wrong way tonite!

any suggestions?

Victoria1234,

wait till the interview is over then try Magnesium Citrate.

Not to contradict ennis_tx but I find in the beginning a capsule works best (always 200mg) or 150mg liquid gel in the nature's made at krogers.

a half teaspoon max to start the natural vitality because it works soo well......if you round up the teaspoon this can be too much to start with.  Be sure it is level off at a maximum to start and you can play with it from there as ennis_tx said.

as ennis_tx will tell you the easier form on the body is Magnesium Glycinate.  I like Kal's brand.

Glycinate does not flush the way citrates can in higher doses like the 2x tspoons one might get from citrate.

but the flush is a miminum thing it usually happens in the first1/2 hour on citrate once you have "over medicated" but taking exactly 200mg (capsule) is usually not enough to cause flushing except in very low weight people say less than 125 lbs etc. the flushing is the water drown to the colon easing your movements.  Magnesium attracts approx. 800 to 1 molecules of water hence the flushing effects in higher initial doses.

I can regularly take 400mg citrate now if i choose too but ennis_tx is right you want to work up to that level on citrates.

wait till your interview is over then take it.

but find a citrate or glycinate NOT the commonly found drugstore kind of magnesium oxide because IT is not well absorbed by the body and your body will not respond with the increased energy the way you can expect it too with either Magnesium citrate or Magnesium glycinate.

magnesium is best taken with food.

here is a thread started by ennis_tx and commented by me on the many benefits of magnesium.

you have made a good choice with choosing to try  magnesium as a citrate or glycinate.

here is a thread also that summarizes some of the benefits of how magnesium works to keep your electrolytes in your body in balance.

I hope this is helpful. 

And let us know how the magnesium goes.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

You waste away without enough magnesium too make energy.

and good luck on your interview.

posterboy,

Victoria1234 Experienced

Day 1 magnesium citrate pill 100m ... taken before I read poster boy' warning:

Took pill around 6pm with yogurt

had to pee like crazy about an hour after taking it. Not sure if related! Had to pee once during nite but that's normal. 

woke up a little crampy. I hadn't gone to the bathroom for 2 days btw. Had coffee. Tried to use br as normal routine. Was successful!

after second cup of coffee had to go again. This never ever happens. Was there awhile. Felt pretty cleaned out. A little panicky cause at that point I had to leave for the interview in 15 minutes!

Went to interview, nothing else br related happened. Still feel good.

what a diff with just the 100mg! Not going to increase dose, lol.

thank you, you guys who replied. I'm pretty excited to think I might be regular now with just one minor change. All your info was fantastic.

by the way, what does flushing mean? The only thing google said was reddening of the face. Which I don't think I had?

xoxo, v

Posterboy Mentor

Victoria1234,

I tried to quote your post for context but couldn't get it to work for some reason.

That is the great thing about Magnesium when you find it in the right form aka Citrate or Glycinate.

Such is the benefit even small amounts make a BIG difference in your energy levels and how you feel.

(reread my thread about the "Magnesium Flush") but I will elaborate again in more detail below.

the "cramping" you felt was the bodies way of moving your stool along.

Magnesium in medical doses 10X to 20X the amount you took is used as presurgical flush of your bowels.

and why some people are scared away by it's many benefits such as the "regularity" you have already noticed.

Magnesium Citrate in a liquid concentrate form is commonly sold as a laxative for this purpose and why the "Magnesium flush" is often considered  "bad" in a negative context.

But would/does require many, many, many, times higher dosages than you have taken.

the "flush" is the intense desire to have a "movement" triggered by the excess water the colon is (now) trying to rid itself of especially noticable in someone like yourself who has been constipated for a while.

if magnesium is taken regularly you will not notice this effect as your system begins to work normally again.

Note: I worked up to 400mg and the lighter someone is say under 125lbs the greater the effect of the flush.

so 400mg wouldn't flush a 200lb man for example.

the redness (flush) you mentioned is typically associated with Niacin and also why people miss many of the benefits people can get from taking B-Vitamins but is not associated with the Slo-Niacin or Niacinamide form and why I recommend Niacinamide when I recommend Niacin to people.

Niacin helps digestion.

Open Original Shared Link

FORM matters.

In Magnesium and Niacin form matters...

But function improves when you find the right form (bioavailable form) of Magnesium and the Niacinamide of Niacin.

If you want to read more about my experience with Niacinamide read my posterboy blog post about this topic

but back to the many benefits of Magnesium your flush amount is easy enough to find.  This affect is most pronounced on an empty stomach (same for the flushing of Niacin).

Note: these are healthy responses but are considered a negative of taking these supplements (one vitamin (Niacin) and one mineral (Magnesium) and why people struggle to take them correctly.

It is more about awareness than anything.  the urge you had is considered the "flushing" associated with taking Magnesium Citrate (usually quickly after taking too much Magnesium at one time) and is an empty movement with just water) you have been flushed if this happens at say 400+ mg at one time as an example.  If you are aware this could happen (Not that it does happen often except in medical doses) or if someone takes it on a empty stomach for example by mistake but since it can affect your urge to go . . . this is considered the Magnesium Flush I mentioned (for awareness) and you sometimes hear about that is not the problem most people associate with it. UNLESS you are trying to take Magnesium in a concentrated form to trigger the need to flush your bowels for medical reasons like a presurgical flush.

But the benefits to taking either are too great to ignore as you have already noticed.

take in increasing dosages (with Meals) your 100mg Magnesium Citrate (best when home so as to not be too far from the bathroom)

soo 100mg the first meal as you now do then after a week at this dose 3/day you can increase to  a higher dose with meals to see what your "flush level" is.

Best (but if) spread out through out the day (ie with each meal) so to minimize flushing from too much Magnesium at any one time.  this shouldn't be a problem (as mentioned above)

then increase to 200mg 3/day the 2nd week if you "flush" i.e, have an urge to quickly go to the bathroom in the first 30 minutes after you have taken your magnesium citrate (you have experience a magnesium flush) but when taken with food this is a rare occurrance.

Usually this is only pronounced in higher dosages greater than 300 to 400mg and without food in the stomach to compete/limit absorption.

so space your magnesium out every 2 to 3 hours i,e with each meal and you get all the benefits (increased energy, relief of charlie horses (muscle cramps because you don't have enough Magnesium etc.)) without the cramping you described in the negative which is actually a positive for some one who is constipated.

because it "flushes" the colon of your stool as you already know.

**** this is not medical advice but I hope it is informative and helps you get/maximize all the benefits that can/should be achieved when taking Magnesium for constipation.

2 Tim 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

Archived