Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
sddave

Gluten free for about 2 wks....headaches and hand pain.

Rate this topic

I was officially diagnosed a celiac for just under 2 wks.

Every since going gluten-free I almost always have varying level of a headache the whole day.   My right eye was a little sore too yesterday.  As I get more hungry the pain seems to increase, and get some brain fog.   I had a followup today with GI doc and he didn't think it was a big issue.   Just withdrawals??  I would of thought after two weeks going gluten-free I wouldn't be getting headaches.

Also, I have had hand/wrist/numb finger tips off and on for years.   Checked for carpal tunnel and had neck MRI for nerve issue (rear ended 2x) in last couple years.   Both negative.  My right palm hurt slightly before being diagnosed.   Ever since going gluten-free I now have pain in both palms and pain has increased a lot.   I THOUGHT going gluten-free would reduce the pain....not get worse :(  

I have similar pain, neuritis. After years finally found I also have the MTHFR gene which in my case means I am not able to convert folic acid to folate so it affects nerves. Right eye pain and migraine with carpel tunnel like reactions in muscles used most like hands shoulders. I take 3000 mcg l methyl folate by life extension each day. It has improved greatly. Also watch for thyroid changes. I have autoimmune related hypothyroid but when I stopped gluten it began to recover so my medication  was too high. Headaches. Also I take d ribose powder to avoid low blood sugar headaches since absorption is still not as good as non celiacs. I am 10 years celiac diagnosis healed. Docs kept saying fibromyalgia is cause for muscle Probs. When I ate gluten I was sore all over like next day at gym. Off gluten I lost a lot of water weight from inflamation then nerve pain set in. Unsure if this is damage from years undiagnosed but it is healing. Hope something helps soon. It was shocking to me as well that I regressed instead of getting better at first.

Ah....two weeks in?  It could be some gluten withdrawal.  Some folks here have reported withdrawal symptoms.  But this is not about going gluten free and healing fast.  The damage from gluten lasts and lasts.  It takes time to heal.  Most of us take a year or longer to heal?  Why?  The learning curve for the diet is steep and each of us have sustained damage beyond the gut.  It took time to get sick and it will take time to heal.  celiac disease is an autoimmune disease like lupus, RA or MS except the trigger for a flare-up (body attacking self) is known.  Once exposed to gluten, antibodies begin building and destroying your small intestine and that can last a week, months or longer.    Avoid gluten and eventually the body stops attacking.  

Hang in there. 

Hi sddave,

I suggest you get your blood glucose checked.