Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Alliet

Anyone used gluten testing strips at restaurants? Bad experience with gluten-free dining.

Rate this topic

After sitting down to enjoy a gluten-free meal at a fancy (for me) restaurant, and questioning then confirming with the server that my meal was indeed off of the gluten-free menu and would be safe, she returned after three bites and told me not to eat anymore, it contained flour. My immediate reaction after the shock and horror was to grab the nearest water pitcher and carafe and proceed to the nearest exit to drink water (hubby refilled inside several times) until I vomited many times. I am unable to induce vomiting any other way, I have tried many times with my history multiple food allergies and have found water gorging the only successful way for me to purge. Sorry for the details! Well, so far it seems crisis averted. I haven't gotten very sick. However, I am so nervous about eating out again. I do it so rarely but when I do its kind of a special occasion. I've heard there are strips that can be taken to restaurants to test the food before eating it. Is this sort of thing real? If they exist, are they reliable and cost effective?  Anyone have experence with this type of thing? Anyone else ever have to purge in the bushes outside a restaurant after stealing water pitchers? I'm trying to avoid a traumatic event such as this in the future (traumatic for all involved and those waiting for a table outside, ha !) Diagnosed 6+ years ago and am very careful especially when out. Maybe I was just due a restaurant ooopsie !?

EZ-Test Strips and the Nima Prortable Sensor, they can only be used on some foods. I use the Nima more often as it is cheaper at under $10 a test. NOTE it can be hyper sensitive more often then not, and it is extremely rare that it misses gluten. BUT you have to take multiple samples sometimes. And it can only sample a very small amount so you might miss it if it is not evenly distributed in the dish your testing. There are also many tricks to testing successfully. I find taking bits of a meal from different sections grinding them up with a bit of water into a paste then adding it with 1-2 drops of water allows for more blanket like coverage of a meal.

I would use Nima sensor for testing in a restaurant. Easy to do, low key as well. And I would make a paste like Ennis suggests.