Jump to content
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

KathleenH

Gluten free and Vegan? (WHO scary research?!)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! I haven't been on the forum in awhile hope everyone is doing well! After about almost 3 months of being gluten free I'm finally feeling quite a bit better. I have so much more energy and just a better outlook on life. I'd say my good days are finally outweighing the bad! :) 

So I had  question (I wasn't exactly sure which topic to classify it as though). Is anyone on here a vegan as well as being gluten free? I have been really getting into eating healthy and working out and I've been watching many documentaries on food. Almost all the ones I've watched say a plant based diet is really the best route to go. So I had been thinking about going Vegan since about March I'd say, I for the most part, am almost a vegetarian (meat is like an occasion). After watching another health/food documentary last night called "What the Health?" on netflix it really made me want to go vegan. In the doc. they explain how the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION did research and actually classifies processed meat as a "GROUP 1 CARCINOGEN" right next to CIGARETTES!!! They also explain all the cancer, diabetes, and heart disease risks that go along with animal products and how genetics only really play a role about 5% of the time. Now believe me I go into these shows open minded but skeptical since I know there's a lot of bias information out there but this documentary really blew me away. I have a decent background in science (having a bs in animal science pre-vet studies) and everything they say makes scientific sense (to me at least). 

How would one go about even being vegan if there is so many grains we cant have? Is there anyone out there thats done this? 

Thanks in advance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not digest most meats or animal fats, animal wise I only consume egg whites, and once or twice a month have fish or crab. Quite easy, I found many meat subs, like jackfruit, beyond meat crumbles and beef, using cumin in stuff to give it a meat flavor. Making my own cheese sauces and using diary free cheeses all the time. I live on a ketogenic diet of just fats and protein unable to eat sugars or carbs due to UC and it causing flare ups. And allergic to corn, I eat a ton nuts, seeds, egg whites, and green leafy veggies. I go through lbs of almonds and coconut a week, <.< and about 3-4 cartons of egg whites, and 1-2lbs of vegan protein powders. I found a great carb free noodles and rice subs from miracle noodles that are a stable, nutiva butter flavored coconut oil gets used for cooking everything and slathered on julian bakery bread toast which is grain free nut/egg white based bread. I love and have posted my recipes for vegan cheese biscuits and garlic knots in the recipe area.

My approach is quite unique since I can not have rice, corn or quinoa, or other carbs. But if you can have them you have many more options then I do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KathleenH said:

Hello everyone! I haven't been on the forum in awhile hope everyone is doing well! After about almost 3 months of being gluten free I'm finally feeling quite a bit better. I have so much more energy and just a better outlook on life. I'd say my good days are finally outweighing the bad! :) 

So I had  question (I wasn't exactly sure which topic to classify it as though). Is anyone on here a vegan as well as being gluten free? I have been really getting into eating healthy and working out and I've been watching many documentaries on food. Almost all the ones I've watched say a plant based diet is really the best route to go. So I had been thinking about going Vegan since about March I'd say, I for the most part, am almost a vegetarian (meat is like an occasion). After watching another health/food documentary last night called "What the Health?" on netflix it really made me want to go vegan. In the doc. they explain how the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION did research and actually classifies processed meat as a "GROUP 1 CARCINOGEN" right next to CIGARETTES!!! They also explain all the cancer, diabetes, and heart disease risks that go along with animal products and how genetics only really play a role about 5% of the time. Now believe me I go into these shows open minded but skeptical since I know there's a lot of bias information out there but this documentary really blew me away. I have a decent background in science (having a bs in animal science pre-vet studies) and everything they say makes scientific sense (to me at least). 

How would one go about even being vegan if there is so many grains we cant have? Is there anyone out there thats done this? 

Thanks in advance! 

Maybe you shouldn't take all these movies you watch so literally?  Maybe check the actual report/ study before you get too upset?  I think you might be exaggerating the WHO findings?

 

but, if you want to go vegan -  there are more grains a  Celiac can have than can't.

Edited by kareng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kareng said:

Maybe you shouldn't take all these movies you watch so literally?  Maybe check the actual report/ study before you get too upset?  I think you might be exaggerating the WHO findings?

 

but, if you want to go vegan -  there are more grains a  Celiac can have than can't.

Just looked up The Who findings and found a ton of links backing this up from 2015. Here's one from Harvard https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/03/report-says-eating-processed-meat-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Just looked up The Who findings and found a ton of links backing this up from 2015. Here's one from Harvard https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/03/report-says-eating-processed-meat-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/

Exactly!  It talks about moderation in meat consumption.  It never says we all need to go vegan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kareng said:

Exactly!  It talks about moderation in meat consumption.  It never says we all need to go vegan.  

Lol, No one said we all need to go vegan. I said "I have been thinking about going vegan since about march" from this information I have found over the past few months and did anyone have tips for me. I also never exaggerated anything, I reworded what the article said "WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION did research and actually classifies processed meat as a "GROUP 1 CARCINOGEN" right next to CIGARETTES." Also, I mentioned how I watch these documentaries skeptically because I know they are bias but everything they said made sense. Also I looked up the articles/research they mentioned seem legitimate and peer reviewed. I never got "too upset" I was just shocked and thought maybe others would want to know about the new information.  I was literally just asking for helpful tips from others about going vegan while being gluten free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

I can not digest most meats or animal fats, animal wise I only consume egg whites, and once or twice a month have fish or crab. Quite easy, I found many meat subs, like jackfruit, beyond meat crumbles and beef, using cumin in stuff to give it a meat flavor. Making my own cheese sauces and using diary free cheeses all the time. I live on a ketogenic diet of just fats and protein unable to eat sugars or carbs due to UC and it causing flare ups. And allergic to corn, I eat a ton nuts, seeds, egg whites, and green leafy veggies. I go through lbs of almonds and coconut a week, <.< and about 3-4 cartons of egg whites, and 1-2lbs of vegan protein powders. I found a great carb free noodles and rice subs from miracle noodles that are a stable, nutiva butter flavored coconut oil gets used for cooking everything and slathered on julian bakery bread toast which is grain free nut/egg white based bread. I love and have posted my recipes for vegan cheese biscuits and garlic knots in the recipe area.

My approach is quite unique since I can not have rice, corn or quinoa, or other carbs. But if you can have them you have many more options then I do.

 

Hii, thanks for all the great ideas. I never thought about jackfruit I'll have to try that. Not eating sugars and carbs must be really difficult. I'll check out your recipes thanks! (garlic knots sound so good right now :b) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KathleenH said:

 I was literally just asking for helpful tips from others about going vegan while being gluten free. 

There was a thread on here some time ago from someone struggling to be gluten free on a vegan diet that got some good responses from vegan celiacs. Maybe worth a search, this forum has had so many members over the years who have been through similar. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some nutritional issues to watch out for in a vegan diet.  Personally I don't think it's great idea when the person has a chronic digestive disease that is responsible for causing mal-absorption of nutrients.  Vegan in a celiac seems kind of like pouring gas on a fire.  The vegan diet makes getting some important nutrients harder, and celiac disease does the same thing.  I don't know of any studies on it, but my guess is a vegan celiac may take longer to recover their health.  And since it can take 5 years or more to recover from celiac damage, it seems to me that is not a good thing.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/vegetarian-diet/art-20046446?pg=2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GFinDC said:

There are some nutritional issues to watch out for in a vegan diet.  Personally I don't think it's great idea when the person has a chronic digestive disease that is responsible for causing mal-absorption of nutrients.  Vegan in a celiac seems kind of like pouring gas on a fire.  The vegan diet makes getting some important nutrients harder, and celiac disease does the same thing.  I don't know of any studies on it, but my guess is a vegan celiac may take longer to recover their health.  And since it can take 5 years or more to recover from celiac damage, it seems to me that is not a good thing.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/vegetarian-diet/art-20046446?pg=2

HUGE thing to consider on a vegan diet is Nutritional Yeast like KAL the profile of nutrients from it GREAT and gluten-free I suggest using it for anyone, I use it for making cheese sauces, seasonings, and just generally consume 3-4tbsp of it with each meal. They have it here and you can order it on amazon but here you can zoom in on the pictures and have a look at the profile for it. https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1756-kal-nutritional-yeast-flakes-22-oz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GFinDC said:

There are some nutritional issues to watch out for in a vegan diet.  Personally I don't think it's great idea when the person has a chronic digestive disease that is responsible for causing mal-absorption of nutrients.  Vegan in a celiac seems kind of like pouring gas on a fire.  The vegan diet makes getting some important nutrients harder, and celiac disease does the same thing.  I don't know of any studies on it, but my guess is a vegan celiac may take longer to recover their health.  And since it can take 5 years or more to recover from celiac damage, it seems to me that is not a good thing.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/vegetarian-diet/art-20046446?pg=2

Thanks for the article i will make sure to watch out for that and maybe get some supplements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey i've been vegetarian for 8 years and gluten free for almost a year. its difficult since they are kind of opposites.

i actually just noticed the advertisemnts from the cancer counil here is australia now has meat listed next to alchol, cigarettes and the sun. a few years ago when i read about it, it seemed hot dogs and super processed meats like salami were the only issue. which i only remember when i see a sausage sizzle to raise money for cancer lol  but it surprised me that now the guidelines are including red meat as well and smaller amounts.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1752/cancer-prevention/diet-exercise/nutrition-diet/other-foods-nutrients/meat-and-cancer-3/

so i would reccomend easing into it and slowly replace meat with alternatives to make sure you are getting enough protein etc get your iron and b12 levels checked every now and then.

buffalo cauliflower and eggplant schnitzels are two of my favorites. you can also make alot of cheeses and sauces out of nuts and tofu. i also eat alot of falafel, hommus and tahini. i can send you some links to recipes if you like :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, emma6 said:

hey i've been vegetarian for 8 years and gluten free for almost a year. its difficult since they are kind of opposites.

i actually just noticed the advertisemnts from the cancer counil here is australia now has meat listed next to alchol, cigarettes and the sun. a few years ago when i read about it, it seemed hot dogs and super processed meats like salami were the only issue. which i only remember when i see a sausage sizzle to raise money for cancer lol  but it surprised me that now the guidelines are including red meat as well and smaller amounts.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1752/cancer-prevention/diet-exercise/nutrition-diet/other-foods-nutrients/meat-and-cancer-3/

so i would reccomend easing into it and slowly replace meat with alternatives to make sure you are getting enough protein etc get your iron and b12 levels checked every now and then.

buffalo cauliflower and eggplant schnitzels are two of my favorites. you can also make alot of cheeses and sauces out of nuts and tofu. i also eat alot of falafel, hommus and tahini. i can send you some links to recipes if you like :)

Emma, please post falafel recipe! And how you eat it ! I've been searching for a good recipe for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2017 at 10:53 PM, emma6 said:

hey i've been vegetarian for 8 years and gluten free for almost a year. its difficult since they are kind of opposites.

i actually just noticed the advertisemnts from the cancer counil here is australia now has meat listed next to alchol, cigarettes and the sun. a few years ago when i read about it, it seemed hot dogs and super processed meats like salami were the only issue. which i only remember when i see a sausage sizzle to raise money for cancer lol  but it surprised me that now the guidelines are including red meat as well and smaller amounts.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1752/cancer-prevention/diet-exercise/nutrition-diet/other-foods-nutrients/meat-and-cancer-3/

so i would reccomend easing into it and slowly replace meat with alternatives to make sure you are getting enough protein etc get your iron and b12 levels checked every now and then.

buffalo cauliflower and eggplant schnitzels are two of my favorites. you can also make alot of cheeses and sauces out of nuts and tofu. i also eat alot of falafel, hommus and tahini. i can send you some links to recipes if you like :)

Wow  those sound amazing! Thanks for the info thats really interesting. I agree with easing into it, plus i dont think I'm ready to give up everything yet. I'm a little worried since I have trouble getting enough iron but I take a b-12 supplement since thats one of the ones I've been deficient in from celiac. 

Also as a side note/question where in AUS do you live? I think I will be moving there within the next year. At first a was a little concerned what my food options would be there (restaurant wise) but it seems like you guys have even more gluten-free stuff than I do here in New York! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2017 at 1:24 AM, Victoria1234 said:

Emma, please post falafel recipe! And how you eat it ! I've been searching for a good recipe for a long time. 

i usually buy pre made falafels as the majority i've found are gluten free and vegan. they are really good on a wrap with hummus, lettuce, tomato/salads or even the same on a sandwich. i also eat them with a salad or as a side with a curry.

the only recipe i've made from scratch is from http://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2015/05/04/baked-falafel-sliders-with-maple-tahini-sauce

also their cheese sauce is really great, i make it with sweet potato and almond milk, its so easy and you can swap or leave out a few ingredients and it tastes just a good. i eat cheese but i still make that to have with tacos or nachos as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KathleenH said:

Wow  those sound amazing! Thanks for the info thats really interesting. I agree with easing into it, plus i dont think I'm ready to give up everything yet. I'm a little worried since I have trouble getting enough iron but I take a b-12 supplement since thats one of the ones I've been deficient in from celiac. 

Also as a side note/question where in AUS do you live? I think I will be moving there within the next year. At first a was a little concerned what my food options would be there (restaurant wise) but it seems like you guys have even more gluten-free stuff than I do here in New York! :) 

i do take iron and b12 tablets as well but i think it depends on the person and what your levels are at but definitely keep at eye on it

thats so exciting! where are you moving to? i'm from sydney, i havn't ate out yet but i know there are alot of options. the grocery stores carry lots of gluten free options so i wouldn't worry too much especially if you are going to a major city it will be easy. also all our processed foods have to be at 0ppm to be considered gluten free as opposed to 20ppm in the US so it makes me feel safer haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, emma6 said:

i do take iron and b12 tablets as well but i think it depends on the person and what your levels are at but definitely keep at eye on it

thats so exciting! where are you moving to? i'm from sydney, i havn't ate out yet but i know there are alot of options. the grocery stores carry lots of gluten free options so i wouldn't worry too much especially if you are going to a major city it will be easy. also all our processed foods have to be at 0ppm to be considered gluten free as opposed to 20ppm in the US so it makes me feel safer haha

I think I'll be around Adelaide for now and than maybe eventually down to Melbourne, :) Wow thats interesting, I too would feel better knowing its 0ppm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I noticed in your original post is that you said the report refers to "processed meats".  If I'm not mistaken they are referring to things like lunch meat and canned meats.  That's a lot different than buying meat from the meat market and cooking it yourself.  Or am I wrong? 

I also second taking care with a vegan diet.  My friend's son went vegan with little research and ended up in the ER with problems they linked to lack to protein in his diet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cashs mom said:

One thing I noticed in your original post is that you said the report refers to "processed meats".  If I'm not mistaken they are referring to things like lunch meat and canned meats.  That's a lot different than buying meat from the meat market and cooking it yourself.  Or am I wrong? 

I also second taking care with a vegan diet.  My friend's son went vegan with little research and ended up in the ER with problems they linked to lack to protein in his diet.

Yes they are talking about stuff like lunch meat as one issue.  Then red meat/beef as a second issue.  The article doesn't say anything about chicken, etc.  And it is more of a compilation of info from studies.  Sometimes a study that finds that people in a country that eat a lot of beef get more of X cancer - it doesn't always take into account that maybe they aren't eating enough veggies or  eating more ketchup...just as an example.  and maybe the copious amounts of ketchup is the real issue?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2017 at 4:43 AM, KathleenH said:

I think I'll be around Adelaide for now and than maybe eventually down to Melbourne, :) Wow thats interesting, I too would feel better knowing its 0ppm. 

thats so exciting! let me know if you need any help with finding gluten-free products or brands when you move here :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...