This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Bread and Pasta (United Kingdom)

ConfusedCeliac

ConfusedCeliac Newbie

Hey everyone,

I need some advice. After being diagnosed with celiac disease, I have been eating just rice and potatoes for carbs and its really hard to make up the calories and I am losing weight fast.

I know my local supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda) have many gluten free breads and pastas, but I read from this forum that even though they say gluten-free they might be cross contaminated.

So I really need some advice on the actual products that are 100% gluten-free that you guys use that I can get in the United Kingdom.

I am really desparate here and really need some recommendations that you guys know 100% are gluten-free and/or use yourself.

Thanks alot )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor

I don't know who is claiming lots of uk gluten-free breads are contaminated? It's certainly news to me!

I think it is possible to get a slight reaction to gluten-free breads and pastas, especially if you eat a lot. as I understand it they can contain a very small amount of gluten which can add up to more than the acceptable daily amount for a celiac.  There is a cumulative effect in other words. I try to eat them more as an occasional treat rather than as a daily staple. 

I also find some agree with me more than otherss, but there could be other factors at play than gluten content there. For example the other additives, xantham gum content etc.

I typically mix and match but regularly have genius, asda own brand, Udis buns, m and s, Newgate sourdough, those wraps which I forget the brand but are at most supermarkets., without major issues. 

Hope this of help, I will look next time I'm shopping for more brand names I've eaten :)

Jmg Mentor

Also if you want more choices join coeliac uk and they will send you a guide with all the safe foods in. It's also available online. Well worth it when your starting out.

theres also a uk thread in the international section of this forum where we share our recommendations. no shortage of calories in my picks... :P

Ennis-TX Grand Master

If you need to throw on calories try snacking and eating more nuts and seeds. I found nut butters, coconut oil, seeds, and nut based breads were great ways to throw on calories. Also sipping on and drinking vegan protein shakes throughout the day and before bed helps maintain muscle mass. A high fat/protein diet with lower carbs will help maintain your muscles. If you can eat meat then stewed fresh meats are great, baked fish like salmon are also good. I am constantly consuming nut butters in homemade gluten-free cookies using almond butter, and coconut flour with sugar free sweeteners, in shakes, smoothies, homemade ice cream, by the spoon and on gluten-free nut based breads. I cook oftne for others, and stuff like pan fried hash browns in butter flavored coconut oil with some herbs, salt and pepper generally never fails. You can press them into patties and fry them up crispy and use them for scooping scrambled eggs, Blending in a diary free cheese/or real cheese with your eggs using a hand blender and seasoning them before scrambling adds in some extra calories.   I blend nut butters and seed/nut meals in with my eggs and skillet bake them sometimes into a quiche with chopped spinach and dairy free cheese this way and extra shreds stirred in. >.> I am crazy with eating consider I eat 8-12 egg dishes for breakfast every day.

flowerqueen Community Regular

Hi, to be declared gluten free, pasta, etc., has to be less than 20 parts per million, so there is always a possibility of cross contamination.  There are a few website that you can subscribe to, so if gluten has inadvertently got into the foods, and they are recalled, they will notify you by text or email. 

I agree with the above comment regarding xanthan gum, personally, I cannot eat very much of it as it has adverse effects - but nothing to do with gluten, so I try not to eat much gluten free bread, and eat more rice instead.  Also, I found that after I'd been gluten free for some time, I started having food intolerances, and had to keep a food diary to find out what was causing them.  

By the way Tesco/Sainsbury's/Asda gluten free foods are all fine, there was an incident some time last year (or the year before) when there was a big recall on some gluten free products, but they were quickly withdrawn, and well publicised, which can happen with anything for different reasons, but generally I find their products okay.  Definitely speak to someone at Coeliac UK, they are very helpful and you can get 6 months membership free when you are first diagnosed to give you a head start. 

egs1707 Enthusiast
On 2017-6-25 at 0:42 AM, flowerqueen said:

I agree with the above comment regarding xanthan gum, personally, I cannot eat very much of it as it has adverse effects - but nothing to do with gluten, so I try not to eat much gluten free bread, and eat more rice instead.  Also, I found that after I'd been gluten free for some time, I started having food intolerances, and had to keep a food diary to find out what was causing them.  

It's funny you mention this as I've been feeling really bad the past few days and couldn't figure out why but vaguely remembered reading a post on here about Xanthan Gum. Sure enough it's in the bread I've been having and one or two other items.

The alternative used seems to be E464 Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, which I hope has less side effects :wacko:

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 minutes ago, egs1707 said:

It's funny you mention this as I've been feeling really bad the past few days and couldn't figure out why but vaguely remembered reading a post on here about Xanthan Gum. Sure enough it's in the bread I've been having and one or two other items.

The alternative used seems to be E464 Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, which I hope has less side effects :wacko:

US Alternatives are guar gum which comes from a root, locust bean gum, and in baked goods psyllium husk powder can be used.

I have to be careful with xantham gum also seems it causes stuff to clump and float in my stomach and does not digest, I tend to puke up a odd film when I eat too much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived