Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if red rose tea bags were gluten free? I have been drinking this tea for years now and the past few weeks I have not been able to drink it. I get cramps in my lower abdomen and this morning I got nauseated. I was wondering if this is something to do with the tea?

11 minutes ago, Abungay said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if red rose tea bags were gluten free? I have been drinking this tea for years now and the past few weeks I have not been able to drink it. I get cramps in my lower abdomen and this morning I got nauseated. I was wondering if this is something to do with the tea?

I looked at their website, but did not see anything that mentioned gluten free.  Tea is normally gluten free unless gluten (usually barley based) is added.  But that should be included on the label.  I drink plain old Lipton and Republic of Tea (this one is certified gluten-free).  It is possible (though very low) that the tea was cross contaminated.  Here is more information about tea:

https://www.verywell.com/is-tea-gluten-free-562355

I know I am always perplexed when I suspect a glutening.  My gluten exposure symptoms are never consistent.    So, I email my GI and ask for a celiac antibodies test.  If positive, I do my best to track down my gluten source.  Sometimes I am not successful, but by testing I can determine is gluten is actually the root cause or not.  I have only done this twice since my diagnosis.  Not everything is due to celiac disease.  

Might try changing to a gluten-free certified brand like Republic of tea. Also might not be gluten, I myself developed a issue last year with my stomach not liking black teas anymore. I think the fermentation process for making black teas produces something? Or the tannins...oddly coffee not causing issues. Really is a huge hit and miss sometimes with this I know.