Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
3 3
sddave

Gluten free, non-greasy, non-smelling sunscreen

Rate this topic

I've been using Neutrogena Ulta Sheer Dry Touch sunscreen.    I don't think it's gluten free.   But it's non-greasy, and non-smelling.   Is there a similar non-greasy, and non-smelling gluten free alternative?

Blue Lizard is an awesome gluten free, non-toxic, physical sunblock.  It is not greasy and lasts forever.

My bottle of Neurogena Dry Touch 55 does not show any gluten.  It is not certified gluten free, but I do not eat it.  I always wash my hands well after applying anyway, because I do not like ingesting chemicals.  We use a lot of Equate sunscreen which is the Walmart brand and is one of the top rated per Consumer Reports.  On bike rides, I use Banana Boat Babies on my face.  It contains fewer chemicals and does not cause any eye stinging when I am sweating a lot.  My face is left with a white greasy residue, but who cares when I am flying on my bike fast!  For surfing and water polo, we add old-fashioned zinc to our nose, cheeks and top of forehead.  You can even get it in school colors, but I personally use the old white stuff.  I already look like a geek in my wetsuit.   The kids love the colors!  Scares off the opposing water polo teams too!  

• Upvote 1

I use Neutrogena and the Equate Walmart kind.  No gluten ingredients.  Celiacs don't need to worry about things they don't eat having gluten.

Neutrogenia  on my face and whatever is on sale everywhere else

Ok.  I've been celiac for about just less than 1 mo.

So I thought people were worried about cosmetics, shampoo and sunscreens because gluten entering the body thru the skin was an issue.   Now I understand it's only an issue if ingested.   I don't plan on eating my shampoo or my sunscreen.  Why are people worried about shampoo and sunscreen?    I can see lip balms/sticks might be an issue.

Shampoo because some of them leave a coating on your hair. You touch hair, touch food, put food in mouth, or hair ends up in your mouth from wind....bam. It's so easy to brush your hair from your eyes, etc. and have it happen. At least that's where I understand the concern to be!

Just now, sddave said:

Ok.  I've been celiac for about just less than 1 mo.

So I thought people were worried about cosmetics, shampoo and sunscreens because gluten entering the body thru the skin was an issue.   Now I understand it's only an issue if ingested.   I don't plan on eating my shampoo or my sunscreen.  Why are people worried about shampoo and sunscreen?    I can see lip balms/sticks might be an issue.

I worry about shampoo....if it has actual "wheat germ " listed.  I do tend to get it in my mouth.  ;)

Unfortunately, some people don't under stand the way skin works.  IF everything could enter thru our skin, why have skin?  There are a few things that actually can get through all the layers of skin, but not many.  
The medical patches are specially designed to be small enough and have a substance that will go through the skin.  Gluten is not small enough to pass thru.

Some people argue that - lotion gets "absorbed".  Well, it does..... sort of.  It gets absorbed through a dead layer of skin to help it seem smoother. softer, etc.  But it isn't getting into your blood stream.

For a Celiac, the reaction that makes the antibodies, happens in the small intestine.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-ingredients-should-i-avoid-in-cosmetic-products/

"Gluten is only toxic to celiac patients and patients with dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) if ingested. Because gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, the use of cosmetic and shampoos containing gluten has not been shown to be detrimental to patients with celiac disease or DH. However, we do recommend gluten-free lip products, hand lotions and other products that may end up near the mouth. "

1 hour ago, kareng said:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-ingredients-should-i-avoid-in-cosmetic-products/

"Gluten is only toxic to celiac patients and patients with dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) if ingested. Because gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, the use of cosmetic and shampoos containing gluten has not been shown to be detrimental to patients with celiac disease or DH. However, we do recommend gluten-free lip products, hand lotions and other products that may end up near the mouth. "

I have very long hair, and I am ALWAYS moving it away from my mouth when eating, it ends up in my mouth a few strands at least once a day, And I brush it to the side with my hands at least once a hour......Gluten in a shampoo was a nightmare for CC issues, I know this cause the one I used to use prior to dia kept causing cc issues for my first few months trying to go gluten-free. Also if you wash your hair with a gluten containing shampoo then rinse....you just doused your entire body, hands and everything in it.....I would consider gluten containing shampoo to be 10x worse then say having it in cosmetics. I mean who is going to take the eyeliner near their mouth? (I would not use gluten in anything in my house anyway just a example)

I do think sunscreen could be an issue for people. I realize that it is only an issue if ingested. I have very pale children. We use thick zinc oxide and waterproof sunscreen. I apply it every hour or we will burn. I have it coating my hands at the end of every pool trip. We swim daily in the summer in a Texas. There is nothing else to do when it's this hot!  It takes me multiple hand washings to get it off my hands. Often times, while at the pool or beach, we eat - chips, watermelon, nuts etc. I assume it touches the food i ingest. Ours is gluten-free.