This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vision problems

Jmg

Jmg Mentor

Yesterday morning I found my vision greying out on my right eye. It didn't last long, maybe a couple of minutes. The best way I can describe it is as if I'm looking out for a grey cover which is partially blocking my vision. Sometimes it's almost completely blocked, on this occasion it was just partial across the top of my vision. I've had this before for many years but it did seem to largely resolve on going gluten free. I've had a couple of recurrences since then, never as severe as it was before however, so i put it down to just one more of the crazy ways gluten gets to me.

As far as I can tell it could either be a sign of high blood pressure, which I've had before, diabetes, which I've had multiple checks for turn up negative, or optical neuritis related to gluten or even maybe ms? Which I'm frankly a little scared of and is one reason I've not had this checked out before despite having it for many years. Well that and the fact I'd stopped going to my doctors about anything after getting the anti depressant brush off on more than one occasion :( 

I've asked during eye tests and they've never spotted any of the signs of diabetes. I did have hypoglycaemic incidents when on gluten, fainting, drinking excess water, excess sweating, feeling very weak or manic etc. Hence the diabetes tests. Again it's something that magically seemed to fix itself once gluten free. 

I did have something of a sugar binge over the last couple of days, cravings, followed by biscuits, chocolate and marshmallows which were undoubtedly a bad idea which I need to knock on the head.  I'm wondering if that would be been sufficient? I'm not sure therefore if I've been glutened or if it's a sign of something else. So off to the doctors this afternoon to finally get it checked out. 

Does anyone else experience this and have you identified any triggers? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Alwayssomething Contributor

I  have something that sounds very similar in description to yours, but mine is followed by a headache and was diagnosed years ago as an Opthamalic Migraine.  Mine are not caused by gluten.  But since I have had celiac my prescription in my glasses has changed every 4-6 months which is rough since glasses are not covered that often, and it isn't cheap to replace lenses either   I'm not sure if that is autoimmune related or what.  

Jmg Mentor

Thanks for your reply :) 

I don't  get a headache afterwards, aside from the worrying which I try and quickly suppress!

My vision is pretty good. Last time I had an eye test I did have a slight decline but not sufficient to warrant a prescription for glasses.  I am due for another test though, that's something else I need to address...

Victoria1234 Experienced

My husband, not celiac, had this happen when we had gotten out of a hot movie theatre. We actually went to the er and they thought it was something to do with his heart, but could find nothing wrong.

so sorry, no answers but commiseration.

hope you don't have it happen again, but if you do, see your doctor!

Jmg Mentor

My heart has been checked out more than once. I've had the 24 hour trace, several ecgs and an echocardiogram due to the chest pains I get, luckily something else which has largely resolved on the diet. :) 

Feeneyja Collaborator

Sorry this is happening!  My sister has type1 diabetes and had a similar problem.  It was optic neuritis. I think she had a lot of pain involved also. The doctor was concerned that it was an additional autoimmune disease. It turned out to be the results of chronic super low vitamin D. It resolved on daily high vitamin d supplementation. 

You should definitely have it checked out. 

Jmg Mentor
25 minutes ago, Feeneyja said:

Sorry this is happening!  My sister has type1 diabetes and had a similar problem.  It was optic neuritis. I think she had a lot of pain involved also. The doctor was concerned that it was an additional autoimmune disease. It turned out to be the results of chronic super low vitamin D. It resolved on daily high vitamin d supplementation. 

You should definitely have it checked out. 

That's very interesting thank you :) 

we don't get much sunshine here in the uk so vitamin d could be an explanation. I do have some calcium & vitamin d supplements which I haven't been taking, so that could be an option. I'll see whether the gp has any ideas first. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Feeneyja Collaborator

This is an interesting read. It appears as if inflammation may CAUSE vitamin d deficiency (the opposite used to be the standard thought).  

Open Original Shared Link

It certainly makes sense of the low vitamin d seen in association with gluten intolerance.  Celiac or NCGS, there is still a systemic inflammatory response.  I image it becomes a domino effect  - inflammation inhibits vitamin d synthesis, low vitamin d causes other systemic effects, this causes other inflammation and problems...etc. 

Jmg Mentor

The GP has sent me to the opticians for an eye test. My blood pressure is ok and my last diabetes test a year ago was absolutely fine. She doesn't think it sounds like MS although she admitted she wasn't sure about what else it could be. 

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in my local doctors surgery. I've seen 7 different doctors the last 7 times I've visited. So you never get a chance to build up any kind of rapport or knowledge. This latest doctor was a locum and I don't think they want to commit to anything hence sending me to the optician. It's not the end of the world, I was due an eye test anyway, but no further along with an answer. 

2 hours ago, Feeneyja said:

This is an interesting read. It appears as if inflammation may CAUSE vitamin d deficiency (the opposite used to be the standard thought).  

Open Original Shared Link

It certainly makes sense of the low vitamin d seen in association with gluten intolerance.  Celiac or NCGS, there is still a systemic inflammatory response.  I image it becomes a domino effect  - inflammation inhibits vitamin d synthesis, low vitamin d causes other systemic effects, this causes other inflammation and problems...etc. 

Indeed that is interesting. I'll add parasitic microbes to my list of woes :D

knitty kitty Grand Master

I get ophthalmic migraines, too.  My vision will "grey out" until I can't see anything but a dot of vision in the center of my field of vision.  Sort of like looking through a long narrow tube.  Very odd.  It happens after staring at computer screens or tablets and even the digital tv and my smart phone.  

My ophthalmologist said the optic nerve registers those flashes as the screens update, over exciting the nerve until it shuts down.  I have to limit my time looking at electronics.  

Vitamin A and D are both fat soluble vitamins which Celiacs may be deficient in.  

Hope this helps.

cristiana Veteran

Hi Jmg 

I think the migraine theory affecting one eye could well be what is happening.   Have you suffered from any other sort of migraine over the years?  I have had the pain and nausea variety, followed by a few years of classic aura without headache in both eyes, and more recently when I am looking at black and white text in bright light, or at white on black text on my phone, or straining my eye to look at something close up, I get strange shimmering in the central vision of my right eye.  Almost like looking at water on glass.  It never lasts more than a few minutes.  I have had a detailed OCT scan which you can have done at a lot of opticians now which showed no damage to my eye structure.  

From what I've read - once one has one type of migraine, it can make one more susceptible to other types.

Anyway - my optician feels it is yet another type of migraine.  I'm not sure - but what I do find is I am more vulnerable to these attacks when my blood sugar is low or I am thirsty (which was a classic trigger for me with my previous migraines.)  

Certain light conditions will bring one on quickly.  Knitty Kitty's opthamologist's explanation of optic nerve being over excited is an interesting one.

Do let  us know if you find any answers.

celiac sharon Apprentice

Check your diet for aspartame as well, I used to have them much worse than I do now, once I realized aspartame was a trigger.  Before celiac diagnosis, I didn't know what it was to have a day without headaches. I only "complained" of a headache when they became migraines. Those eased off tremendously with gluten free diet but the ocular migraines persisted until I started avoiding aspartame. It may not be a trigger food for everyone, but it was for me

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, knitty kitty said:

I get ophthalmic migraines, too.  My vision will "grey out" until I can't see anything but a dot of vision in the center of my field of vision.  Sort of like looking through a long narrow tube.  Very odd.  It happens after staring at computer screens or tablets and even the digital tv and my smart phone.  

It does thank you :) That sounds much like what I experience. I like that idea a lot more than MS... 

41 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Have you suffered from any other sort of migraine over the years?  

No I've been spared migraines thankfully.

35 minutes ago, cristiana said:

but what I do find is I am more vulnerable to these attacks when my blood sugar is low

The blood sugar link is interesting. On gluten my blood sugar often spiked and crashed. The other day I just seemed to crave sugar and alas I gave in. I'm wondering whether that, or some cross contamination could be to blame.

10 minutes ago, celiac sharon said:

Check your diet for aspartame as well, 

I don't think I have much if any. I have the very occasional diet coke, like 2 or 3 times a year, but not recently. I go for the original now as the better of two evils. I also don't tend to buy artificially sweetened stuff and I don't even have sugar in my coffee:

fee5b7626b462324ed52d7140c27cdec.webp

Thanks to everyone that's replied. I'm feeling better about it now :)

Jmg Mentor

Just lett the optician, looks like I'm a ok, he says he can't see anything amiss. The symptoms are neurological so nothing for him to see really. He leans towards the ophthalmic migraines rather than neuritis as I have  no associated pain. 

My vision is pretty good, no need for glasses just yet. :)

i was a bit embarrassed, halfway through the exam I felt dizzy and hot and had to step outside for a minute, I think maybe a combination of straining my eye or maybe some blood sugar issues. But I recovered and managed to see out the various tests.

thanks everyone for your advice and help, sincerely appreciated!

matt

cristiana Veteran
8 hours ago, Jmg said:

Just lett the optician, looks like I'm a ok, he says he can't see anything amiss. The symptoms are neurological so nothing for him to see really. He leans towards the ophthalmic migraines rather than neuritis as I have  no associated pain. 

My vision is pretty good, no need for glasses just yet. :)

i was a bit embarrassed, halfway through the exam I felt dizzy and hot and had to step outside for a minute, I think maybe a combination of straining my eye or maybe some blood sugar issues. But I recovered and managed to see out the various tests.

thanks everyone for your advice and help, sincerely appreciated!

matt

Thanks Matt - it helps me to know that as my eye symptoms are painless and I've wondered about neuritis - it is good to know that that would be a symptom.

What tests did they give, if you don't mind my asking? - I'm just interested as I need to know my chap here has been as thorough!

I had an OCT scan, the usual letter reading and a very rudimentary visual field test with various lights.  

Jmg Mentor

He had a machine I'd not seen before, it was rather good. It showed me a light and blew air in my eyes, which I think was about pressure, worked out my eye capacity by showing me a blurry balloon and then making it sharp and if I'd continued long enough I expect it would've told me what I had for breakfast!

i had the old school focus stick thing which I beat my age by 1 year :)

then the usual terry Gilliam Brazil glasses with the different lenses in.

also the uncomfortable close examination looking left right up and down etc.

but as I said above I came over a bit ill midway through so not sure if I missed anything. I don't think so, my optician is pretty thorough and a very nice chap to boot.

cristiana Veteran

Sounds like an excuse for a celebration - so glad it went well.  I'm just finding now, after many months of screen work to reach a deadline, that my eyesight is improving  as I am no longer spending so much time staring at the computer.  They have a lot to answer for!

Victoria1234 Experienced
33 minutes ago, Jmg said:

He had a machine I'd not seen before, it was rather good. It showed me a light and blew air in my eyes, which I think was about pressure, worked out my eye capacity by showing me a blurry balloon and then making it sharp and if I'd continued long enough I expect it would've told me what I had for breakfast!

i had the old school focus stick thing which I beat my age by 1 year :)

then the usual terry Gilliam Brazil glasses with the different lenses in.

also the uncomfortable close examination looking left right up and down etc.

but as I said above I came over a bit ill midway through so not sure if I missed anything. I don't think so, my optician is pretty thorough and a very nice chap to boot.

The test that blows a puff of air into your eyes is for glaucoma I think.

brazil glasses, lol. That's one strange movie!

so glad things went well. Hope you find out why you had to leave in the middle. Was it warm in the room? 

Jmg Mentor
31 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

The test that blows a puff of air into your eyes is for glaucoma I think.

so glad things went well. Hope you find out why you had to leave in the middle. Was it warm in the room? 

Yes it was warm, close, and I started to feel hot and nauseous. If I'd not gone outside I may have been sick. I had some gluten-free muesli, fruit and yogurt for breakfast which I dont have often. So maybe that was enough. I'm not going to worry about it anyway and just enjoy the good news on the eye front :)

Jmg Mentor
37 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Fun fact my optician shared with me today. The glasses used in the Phantom Menace podrace scene:

anakin_podracer.webp

Were opticians glasses with the outer frame removed. Amazing but true!

Victoria1234 Experienced
11 minutes ago, Jmg said:

Fun fact my optician shared with me today. The glasses used in the Phantom Menace podrace scene:

anakin_podracer.webp

Were opticians glasses with the outer frame removed. Amazing but true!

That's really cool!

again, so happy about your eyes! Yay!

GAJulie Newbie

I used to have painful migraines, but no longer do. I too have the optic or opthamology migraines, no pain, just flashing lights. I have a prescription to take, but with or without the prescription, it goes away in a half hour.  I get them about 6 times a year, sometimes more than one a day. I have no idea of any triggers except maybe exhaustion. I also have Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune hypothyroidism)  and fatigue is a symptom. My vision has been getting worse, but I think it's age related (66).  

Archived