Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up
1 1
Ennis_TX

Simple Flatbread/pizza/pancake base Grain Free

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

120g egg whites (about 4 large/jumbo whites)
14g coconut flour (about 2 tbsp)

1. Preheat pan on low heat and oil it
2. Whisk ingredients well add seasonings like sweetener for a sweet version, or herbs for what ever flavor you want (comment on what works and give ideas)
3. Pour in pan coating the bottom of the pan, cook covered for 4mins then flip it and cook another 2-3 mins.

Very versatile recipe, I find pizza seasons and herbs make a pizza crust, a garlic/parsley/chive version makes a good flat bread, add a tbsp or 2 of sweetener like maple and a 1 tsp of baking powder for a bit of a pancake mix. Adding a 1/2-1tsp of psyllium husk can make it hold up better if you want something firmer also adjusting the flour up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

120g egg whites (about 4 large/jumbo whites)
14g coconut flour (about 2 tbsp)

1. Preheat pan on low heat and oil it
2. Whisk ingredients well add seasonings like sweetener for a sweet version, or herbs for what ever flavor you want (comment on what works and give ideas)
3. Pour in pan coating the bottom of the pan, cook covered for 4mins then flip it and cook another 2-3 mins.

Very versatile recipe, I find pizza seasons and herbs make a pizza crust, a garlic/parsley/chive version makes a good flat bread, add a tbsp or 2 of sweetener like maple and a 1 tsp of baking powder for a bit of a pancake mix. Adding a 1/2-1tsp of psyllium husk can make it hold up better if you want something firmer also adjusting the flour up.

Sounds great.

going to try with rice flour, and garlic and onion powder for pizza base.

thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updates with testing, it works also with hemp flour/protein powder and makes firmer more grainy bread. I have been experimenting with different sized eggs, with the whites weight going from 120-160g the more whites in it the softer, fluffier the end product and more eggy. I have also experimenting with different seasonings. Flavor god seasonings or seasonings with salt will cause a bit of rise, but 1-2tsp gives great flavor I loved the pizza seasoning, Honey BBQ seasonings in it and using Spicely organics I have used Churichuri for a spicy herb, italian herb is alright, 1 tsp each of freeze dried chive, parsley and 1/4tsp garlic powder made a great one that pairs well with butter flavored coconut oil,

Other ideas I have on my line up to try in them and have not yet, fenugreek and a bit of turmeric might be interesting or a bit of thai curry paste for a curry flat bread, Just plain crushed red pepper, bit of adobe seasoning I think could be good, and I imagine using taco seasoning would be awesome. I have some gluten free extracts I am dying to try in them for some sweet versions, like cookies & Cream extract, Pistachio Extract, Apple Pie Extract, Cream Cheese Extract (dairy free), Maple Extract, Honey Extract,  Butter Rum Extract, irish cream, Along with various berry and fruit extracts like strawberry, blueberry, banana, pineapple, heck Peanut Free Peanut butter extract and Jelly extract could be fun. OH and one i MUST DO Melon extract.....HAVE you have had melon pan (melon bread popular Japanese sweet bread)......pain is I have 14 loafs from testing already in the freezer.

TIP to seasoning this put your egg whites and seasoning together whisk and leave in the fridge for 15-20 min to let it infuse, then add your flour whisk well to combine then cook. Also cooking the first side 4-5 mins til firm enough to flip, then 2-3mins just to finish it up, I then dump these on a plate. I cut them into 4ths or freeze whole, they reheat great on a pizza stone  like a frozen pizza or in a toaster, I love putting toppings on, or dipping them in things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 3:16 PM, Ennis_TX said:

120g egg whites (about 4 large/jumbo whites)
14g coconut flour (about 2 tbsp)

1. Preheat pan on low heat and oil it
2. Whisk ingredients well add seasonings like sweetener for a sweet version, or herbs for what ever flavor you want (comment on what works and give ideas)
3. Pour in pan coating the bottom of the pan, cook covered for 4mins then flip it and cook another 2-3 mins.

Very versatile recipe, I find pizza seasons and herbs make a pizza crust, a garlic/parsley/chive version makes a good flat bread, add a tbsp or 2 of sweetener like maple and a 1 tsp of baking powder for a bit of a pancake mix. Adding a 1/2-1tsp of psyllium husk can make it hold up better if you want something firmer also adjusting the flour up.

Tried your recipe today and it's great! Thank you!

Now I'd like to experiment a bit with the next one. I see you've suggested adding a sweetener such as maple. Is that maple syrup or some other form of maple sweetener? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scarlettsdad said:

Tried your recipe today and it's great! Thank you!

Now I'd like to experiment a bit with the next one. I see you've suggested adding a sweetener such as maple. Is that maple syrup or some other form of maple sweetener? 

I was thinking of trying it like 1tbsp maple syrup and upping the egg whites by 10-20g Should make a giant 9"pancake basically with maple flavoring. Not tried it yet but it should work. I was thinking making that version for giant pancake (to thin to pour into smaller ones) that you cook low and slow and can perhaps even use for a breakfast pizza crust with a fruit topping and a creamcheese like spread or just as a pancake, or cut it into sticks for dipping. Should freeze well for toaster reheating later.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ennis_TX said:

I was thinking of trying it like 1tbsp maple syrup and upping the egg whites by 10-20g Should make a giant 9"pancake basically with maple flavoring. Not tried it yet but it should work. I was thinking making that version for giant pancake (to thin to pour into smaller ones) that you cook low and slow and can perhaps even use for a breakfast pizza crust with a fruit topping and a creamcheese like spread or just as a pancake, or cut it into sticks for dipping. Should freeze well for toaster reheating later.

Sounds great. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1

×