Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
1 1
Deb Dey

Passing Large Volume of Stool

Rate this topic

Hi All, 

For the past two months, I am passing large volume of stool occassionally. For example, I may have one bowl movement today but tomorrow i might have 4 bowl movements. I have done stool test and Upper Abdomen USG and they are showing everything normal. I was feeling gassy but the problem has subsided a lot of late. 

But the main problem is that when I had 4 BMs, the amount of stool is very large as if I am pooping more than what I am eating. I have seen two gastroentrocologists and they are saying it is because of stress. 

I am feeling no pain but I have lost 10KG weight in the past two months. 

Is this normal? 

thanks a lot for your support.

Might see about keeping a food Diary, and see if it coincides with any foods, It could be stress, it could be just normal and you at a bunch of fiber that day, or it could be a dumping to clear something irritating your gut, perhaps a spice, or ingredient that makes your intestines just want to purge it, Also keep track of beverages and how much your drinking.  

Honestly I consider it normal to 1-2 BM a day, and someday have 3. I consume 50-70g a day of fiber, exercise daily, and drink a bunch of liquids. Making my bowl movements quite regular with a nice solid consistency.

How are your stools? If they are firm, long, and sink then your pretty normal, IF they are all mushy-liquid, then I would be concerned.

Other thoughts might try having a non dairy protein shake and sipping on it all day if you want to avoid loosing muscles, Try something like a vegan protein powder, MRM Veggie elite, MRM Meal Replacement, or Nutra Key V-Pro, add a nut butter, coconut yogurt, and perhaps a tiny bit of  a fiber or thickener in your case like a pinch of konjac flour, or a tbsp of chia or ground flax.  Blend and put in a shaker bottle, and sip on it durning the day between meals.

Bit more info would be nice, what do you eat normally? Diary, oats, certain other foods, are common irritants for people with celiac disease. Once you get the diary going try rotating foods out on a elimination diet you might find it to be a food trigger.

• Upvote 1

Hi, 

thanks for the response. The stool is firm and normal almost 98% of the time. It is the volume that makes me worried a bit. However, the symptom is getting subsided a little. The Normaxin tablet seems to be working on it. 

I am eating rice and vegetables most of the time. No meat, no eggs, no diary products nothing. Could it be the reason why I am passing large volume of stool.

I never have liquid stool though. 

32 minutes ago, Deb Dey said:

I am eating rice and vegetables most of the time.

Good amounts of fiber, yep. This is great to keep you regular, I see your problem with weight loss, do try to supplement a protein powder to maintain a balanced intake of amino acids and protein for your muscles, A vegan one with a pea protein would have iron, and magnesium in it also, I gave few good easy to digest examples earlier that I use daily, there are others from Jarrow formulas, Growing Naturals, and Nutrabiotic I might suggest (the full spectrum one is great for a supplement). Pumpkin seed protein from Oregon Seed Oil Company is safe (there are a few iffy companies now) and is great for maintaining weight, and for your mood. It is high in may nutrients, including vitamin K, zinc, etc and works wonders. Jarrow hemp seed or Gerbs Hemp seed powders are great also (Avoid other brands as they do not test for gluten, and hemp is often grown in rotation with wheat) Note the hemp proteins normally pack a bit of fiber, if your body is used to it then you should be fine. 

Have you been tested for celiac disease?  Might this new problem be related to celiac disease?