Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Scott Adams

News: Celiac.com: 3 mistakes most people make when they go gluten-free

Rate this topic

Living a gluten-free life is becoming more popular even for people who don't have celiac disease. After all, some doctors are raising the alarm about ...

View the full article

21 hours ago, admin said:

Living a gluten-free life is becoming more popular even for people who don't have celiac disease. After all, some doctors are raising the alarm about ...

View the full article

This article says:

You may be splurging on (or spending extra effort to track down) alt-pastas and grain-free bread, but all that legwork could be for nothing: Gluten might still be hiding in your food. “Maltodextrin, MSG, and hydrolyzed vegetable proteins are all derivatives of it,” Lockwood explains.

is this true? 

12 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

This article says:

You may be splurging on (or spending extra effort to track down) alt-pastas and grain-free bread, but all that legwork could be for nothing: Gluten might still be hiding in your food. “Maltodextrin, MSG, and hydrolyzed vegetable proteins are all derivatives of it,” Lockwood explains.

is this true? 

Yes if it does not state the source of the said ingredient, or is not labeled gluten-free. In most cases companies will list if it is based from gluten, some rare times they will not OR they might source said ingredient from a new supplier or make a mistake on a order form sourcing a wheat based form unknowingly this leads to those recalls you see with undeclared wheat ingredients. VERY rare but can happen.

For these reasons I personally stick to certain brands, and avoid those ingredients that COULD be questionable as much as possible, in my case I also have to be careful as to if they are derived from corn.