Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
AmIreallyceliac

Hashimoto's Gluten Free weird lab values

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for over 2 years on the advice of my endo. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and leaky gut. As soon as I went gluten free my alkaline phosphotase levels were low (not while eating gluten) and now my liver enzyme lab ALT is high. Should I start eating gluten? Am I harming myself by not eating gluten?

2 hours ago, AmIreallyceliac said:

I have been gluten free for over 2 years on the advice of my endo. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and leaky gut. As soon as I went gluten free my alkaline phosphotase levels were low (not while eating gluten) and now my liver enzyme lab ALT is high. Should I start eating gluten? Am I harming myself by not eating gluten?

Welcome to the forum!

Eating gluten free will not harm anyone provided their diet is varied (meats, fish, fruit, veggies, etc).   Eating only gluten free junk foods like cookies and chips is NOT healthy when you exclude things like veggies.  

I have Hashi's and celiac disease.  I have read sites that recommend a gluten free diet for Hashimoto's or other autoimmune disorders, but there is not much science to back it up -- yet.    It might work for some because celiac disease is often linked to Hashimoto's.  It is a shame that your endo did not test you for celiac disease first.  Now you do not know if you have celiac disease or not.  You would need to go back on to a gluten diet for 8 to  12 weeks and then get tested for celiac disease.  It can be difficult if you actually had celiac disease.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

You should discuss with your doctor about your elevated liver enzymes.  It may be related to celiac disease or another autoimmune disorder.  

Here is more about testing:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Leaky gut?  Lots of theories....some facts...but the GI tract is still a mystery.