This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastritis or Glutening - Slippery Elm

cristiana

cristiana Veteran
On 9/29/2017 at 1:19 AM, Whitepaw said:

Cristiana .... are you cured?  

Nope.

Whitepaw, all I can say is  I hope you are doing better than me!

I had a really bad afternoon six days ago.  I went out to tea at this posh hotel with my family and made the mistake of just drinking boiling water and watching them eat scones, jam, cream and by five I had that awful burning under my sternum and then that awful bubble sensation under my ribs to the left of my sternum and it took me a day to get better.  I refused to take extra Zantac, but had some slippery elm and Gaviscon and muddled through.

I'm still supposed to be on Zantac until October 18th so I guess there is still time to heal.  But if I am not better by then I'm sure I'll need an endoscopy.

What is concerning me more is I am still getting an upset stomach more days than not, and the weight loss - I'm reincorporating more normal food into my diet now but the scale isn't bouncing back.  And fat absorption seems to be an issue again - just as it was as if I have been glutened. I'm concerned something really serious is going on. 

I wonder if in fact the Zantac can cause this - I can't seem to get much info on line about weight loss.  Ugggh.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, cristiana said:

Nope.

I had a really bad afternoon six days ago.  I went out to tea at this posh hotel with my family and made the mistake of just drinking boiling water and watching them eat scones, jam, cream and by five I had that awful burning under my sternum and then that awful bubble sensation under my ribs to the left of my sternum and it took me a day to get better.  I refused to take extra Zantac, but had some slippery elm and Gaviscon and muddled through.

I'm still supposed to be on Zantac until October 18th so I guess there is still time to heal.  But if I am not better by then I'm sure I'll need an endoscopy.

What is concerning me more is I am still getting an upset stomach more days than not, and the weight loss - I'm reincorporating more normal food into my diet now but the scale isn't bouncing back.  And fat absorption seems to be an issue again - just as it was as if I have been glutened. I'm concerned something really serious is going on. 

I wonder if in fact the Zantac can cause this - I can't seem to get much info on line about weight loss.  Ugggh.....

I have been on zantac for over 10 years now. Poster boy pointed out some issues with PPIs causing issues with stomach acid and causing issues breaking down foods. After considering a talk with him about and failing to get off of them, I turned to enzymes. I consume several digestive enzymes with my meals and indigestion and issues with my stomach not dumping went away. I take much more the the recommended dose especially after a meal when I load on the fat and proteins.
For weight gain I find it bumps up when I am on my pumpkin protein rotation, the higher zinc content seems to work wonders. Note It does not blend into liquids and is best added to porridge, thick shakes, or baked goods. Good amounts of nut butters, and I snack on coconut and cocoa nibs also. My recent baking endeavors into inventing a new low carb bread line and binge eating the loafs seems to help alot also for me but they are mostly egg whites.

Whitepaw Enthusiast
2 hours ago, cristiana said:

Nope.

Hi Cristiana,

I just wrote a long post, and accidentally clicked on the link I was including, and lost my post!  I will try to recap ...

From what I've read, not eating for a long period will increase acid production, so maybe that's what happened at the hotel?

I'm doing better.   I've done a ton of research and thinking and am now wondering if stopping Vit D earlier this year, then overindulging a few months later set me on this path.   I had stopped Vit D as the drugstore brand I was using initially made me sleepy, then started giving me hangovers.  I just tried Amy Myers' vit D / K drops and they seem to have the opposite effect.   i feel energetic and can't sleep if I take them at night.   I'm using 2000 IU (4 drops) as that's what I was on before.   She recommends 5000 per day with frequent testing.

After stocking up on Schar products, it occurred to me that maybe corn was an issue.  I stopped corn and now no longer need Tums and simethicone, unless I eat too much, try something that disagrees with me, or have an extra cup of coffee midday.

Another thing that has been very helpful is Karen Frazier's acid reflux cookbooks.  She is one of us, has been there and back with GI problems.  She writes well, explains the mechanics of reflux and the reasons one may have it, gives nice charts of good and bad foods, as well as a chart of the pH of many foods.   The books are very easy to read, understand, and the recipes are very helpful.  It's easy enough to substitute if you can't have something in her recipes.   The second book was written with a dietician and the recipes are labeled gluten-free, alkaline, etc.   It may be somewhat better than the first, but I really like them both.    It has opened my eyes to what foods do what, including spices.  For example, she recommends brown rice, which I never eat.   I started eating it via cereal (sprouted brown rice crisps) and brown rice pasta (Tinkyada spaghetti or fettucine as these are seem less bulky to me). 

I am still on Prilosec 2x per day.   I was to go down to one as of today, however the Dr.'s office said to stay on 2x per day for now.   Karen Frazier's acid reflux diet is for 2 weeks, and I am barely through one, so I will see if I can wean down to one after another week or so of eating right. 

I did get some Bilex enzymes based on Ennis' recommendation to try enzymes, but haven't tried them. The GI Dr.'s nurse had recommended Beano with every meal, but that gave me terrible heartburn, so I am a bit reluctant to try these.

I will end this post and put the book links in another, as I will scream if I lose this again. 

Whitepaw Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

The first link is the earlier book, the second may be slightly better.   I really like them both.  I got both in the Kindle version as I wanted to start right away.   I liked them so much that I ordered them in print and am happy I did. 

Posterboy Mentor

whitepaw,

I think cristiana commented on this thread.

It is about IDA that talks about some of the same issues.

If you get a chance you might read through it.

some of the same issues are mentioned.

I would point out this link in the topic as a good article about stomach acid and how many people get locked into taking it for much longer than ever intended.

it is actually a three part series this is only the overview.

Originally PPI's etc were only ever to be used for those who have an ulcer to give time for the stomach to heal . . .  but now people take them soo  long they develop acid rebound reflux when they  try and stop them.

Going low carb or ketogenic is the easiest way to transition off of them . . . but even that doesn't work for some people as Ennis_tx mentioned.

For those still having trouble digestive enyzmes/aides are a good alternative like the slippery elm or marshmallow people use instead.

Many people find sipping on Marshmallow tea works well.

I don't know where it is currently but there is an exhaustive thread between me and Ennis_tx that discusses the pros and con's he mentioned of continuing or discontinuing and the challenges with each course.

Maybe when I have more time I will look it up or maybe Ennis_tx can post it.

I hope this helpful.

posterboy,

Whitepaw Enthusiast
1 hour ago, Posterboy said:

whitepaw,

I think cristiana commented on this thread.

It is about IDA that talks about some of the same issues.

If you get a chance you might read through it.

some of the same issues are mentioned.

I would point out this link in the topic as a good article about stomach acid and how many people get locked into taking it for much longer than ever intended.

it is actually a three part series this is only the overview.

Originally PPI's etc were only ever to be used for those who have an ulcer to give time for the stomach to heal . . .  but now people take them soo  long they develop acid rebound reflux when they  try and stop them.

Going low carb or ketogenic is the easiest way to transition off of them . . . but even that doesn't work for some people as Ennis_tx mentioned.

For those still having trouble digestive enyzmes/aides are a good alternative like the slippery elm or marshmallow people use instead.

Many people find sipping on Marshmallow tea works well.

I don't know where it is currently but there is an exhaustive thread between me and Ennis_tx that discusses the pros and con's he mentioned of continuing or discontinuing and the challenges with each course.

Maybe when I have more time I will look it up or maybe Ennis_tx can post it.

I hope this helpful.

posterboy,

Thanks, will take a look.

My Dr. did say I  may have an ulcer from the length of time I was over producing acid without controlling it, hence the current plan.  I am good with short term use. I was on it before for a long time, prior to my celiac diagnosis, and got off cold turkey after being gluten-free for several months. 

However, I'm always interested in learning more, and staying ahead of any problems. 

I can honestly say this is the closest I've come to recovery from all this acid, so I am encouraged by my success ... so far.  :)

cristiana Veteran

Whitepaw, I'm so glad you have had this breakthrough.  It is really good to know that something as simple as corn could be exacerbating things.  The cookbooks look really promising and I will see if I can buy at least one of them.  I think you are doing really well on your journey and I'm so grateful that you have been here holding my hand all these weeks!

Ennis, thank you for the tips on digestive enzymes and calories.  After my diagnosis when I first found this site I wondered if I needed these enzymes, but things seem to get a bit better.  It seems they are recommended quite a lot on this website.  I wonder if the need to take them waxes and wanes?

And Posterboy, thank you for chiming in on this discussion. I need to try this marshmallow, another thing to add to my arsenal. I quite like slippery elm but maybe marshmallow will suit me better, slippery elm is incredibly comforting but gives me slight D issues.

Today I was in a shop and feeling very glum about all of this and a shop assistant, who saw my shopping, told me she too was a celiac and she often feels slightly nauseus, has a bit of epigastric pain, and has identified dropping dairy and fruit can help her.   

It made me realise that going gluten free was not the silver bullet many of us had all hoped would cure our digestive woes at DX and there are others out there struggling like me.  Thank you for sharing, too,  you have encouraged me no end.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Whitepaw Enthusiast
59 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Whitepaw, I'm so glad you have had this breakthrough.  It is really good to know that something as simple as corn could be exacerbating things.  The cookbooks look really promising and I will see if I can buy at least one of them.  I think you are doing really well on your journey and I'm so grateful that you have been here holding my hand all these weeks!

Ennis, thank you for the tips on digestive enzymes and calories.  After my diagnosis when I first found this site I wondered if I needed these enzymes, but things seem to get a bit better.  It seems they are recommended quite a lot on this website.  I wonder if the need to take them waxes and wanes?

And Posterboy, thank you for chiming in on this discussion. I need to try this marshmallow, another thing to add to my arsenal. I quite like slippery elm but maybe marshmallow will suit me better, slippery elm is incredibly comforting but gives me slight D issues.

Today I was in a shop and feeling very glum about all of this and a shop assistant, who saw my shopping, told me she too was a celiac and she often feels slightly nauseus, has a bit of epigastric pain, and has identified dropping dairy and fruit can help her.   

It made me realise that going gluten free was not the silver bullet many of us had all hoped would cure our digestive woes at DX and there are others out there struggling like me.  Thank you for sharing, too,  you have encouraged me no end.

Based on my research and talking to both my allergist and GI doc, it is possible to develop these sensitivites (dairy, then corn) when in the midst of a GI upset.   Maybe I was a bit sensitive to these all along, and the reflux issue made them temporarily intolerable.   Both docs felt I could reintroduce foods after I stabilize. 

Right now, I'm having brown rice crisps with soy milk for breakfast, sweet potatoes with peas / corn and tuna for lunch, brown rice pasta with a bit of olive oil, salt, veggies as a snack during the day, and salmon / white rice/ veggies for dinner.    I think the salmon and brown rice products have made a big difference, too.  I feel exceptionally well the next day if I have salmon for dinner.  Not the same with cod.  I do eat some other foods ... like coffee with soy milk, Enjoy Life chocolate chip cookies (sometimes some of their sugar cookies, but these are more iffy) ... but the brown rice, tuna, salmon, sweet potatoes are my staples throughout the day. 

Karen Frazier distinguishes between ground turkey and ground turkey breast, and also specifies that beef must be low fat.    I was eating regular ground turkey and whatever ground beef we had on hand, so picked up ground turkey breast and 8% fat beef to try this week.

I'm going to look up the marshmallow tea that Posterboy recommended.   I am reluctant to try much in the way of herbals, etc. as they can interact with meds and can be problematic in general if they are taken in excess or by people with certain conditions or allergies.   However marshmallow sounds safe enough.  I still haven't seen slippery elm anywhere locally so I haven't researched that much.  Not sure I've ever seen marshmallow around here, either.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
24 minutes ago, Whitepaw said:

Based on my research and talking to both my allergist and GI doc, it is possible to develop these sensitivites (dairy, then corn) when in the midst of a GI upset.   Maybe I was a bit sensitive to these all along, and the reflux issue made them temporarily intolerable.   Both docs felt I could reintroduce foods after I stabilize. 

Right now, I'm having brown rice crisps with soy milk for breakfast, sweet potatoes with peas / corn and tuna for lunch, brown rice pasta with a bit of olive oil, salt, veggies as a snack during the day, and salmon / white rice/ veggies for dinner.    I think the salmon and brown rice products have made a big difference, too.  I feel exceptionally well the next day if I have salmon for dinner.  Not the same with cod.  I do eat some other foods ... like coffee with soy milk, Enjoy Life chocolate chip cookies (sometimes some of their sugar cookies, but these are more iffy) ... but the brown rice, tuna, salmon, sweet potatoes are my staples throughout the day. 

Karen Frazier distinguishes between ground turkey and ground turkey breast, and also specifies that beef must be low fat.    I was eating regular ground turkey and whatever ground beef we had on hand, so picked up ground turkey breast and 8% fat beef to try this week.

I'm going to look up the marshmallow tea that Posterboy recommended.   I am reluctant to try much in the way of herbals, etc. as they can interact with meds and can be problematic in general if they are taken in excess or by people with certain conditions or allergies.   However marshmallow sounds safe enough.  I still haven't seen slippery elm anywhere locally so I haven't researched that much.  Not sure I've ever seen marshmallow around here, either.  

I recently started taking marshmallow capsules, I open them up and take the powder in them in a drink, shake or food. (I have a aversion to medication capsules due to some odd reactions in the past). I started it when I had to drop my UC prescriptions due to loosing medicaid and having no insurance (a month supply is $689, medicaid used to make it free). It works decently, I still have some blood in my stool if I try some foods (been eating to much carbs via nutritional yeast and tomatoes). 
As to the enzymes I like Jarrow Enzymes Plus, Jarrow Bromoline, and Super papaya enzymes. I take all 3 actually, I am trying to get off the papaya ones as I dislike the added calcium and some other stuff in them.

Other thoughts, it is probably just a me thing, but opposite of what you would think about rice making indigestion better and helping with digestion it always made it much worse for me especially if mixed with a fat or protein.  I have since dropping grains, carbs, roots, and going high fat and protein found myself gaining muscle weight, feeling "lighter" more energetic, and being in a much happier and satisfied life. It is probably a combination of supplements healthy fats, and low carb diet. But I just roll with life and and honestly do not panic like I used it. This is quite amusing actually considering my current money issues.....I honestly just feel it will work out even though the books show this month being so bad I will likely run out of food money mid month (bills, orders, rent, medications, all stacking at bad times vs my RSDI income checks and poor market sales).

Tried a keto or low carb diet? Imagine a easy diet of just eggs, fish, lean meats, leafy veggies, stir frys, omelettes, scrambles, tuna salad, avocados etc. There are even keto breads like the one my bakery makes or Julian bakery sells that are great for avocado or nut butter on toast.

Whitepaw Enthusiast
10 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

I recently started taking marshmallow capsules, I open them up and take the powder in them in a drink, shake or food. (I have a aversion to medication capsules due to some odd reactions in the past). I started it when I had to drop my UC prescriptions due to loosing medicaid and having no insurance (a month supply is $689, medicaid used to make it free). It works decently, I still have some blood in my stool if I try some foods (been eating to much carbs via nutritional yeast and tomatoes). 
As to the enzymes I like Jarrow Enzymes Plus, Jarrow Bromoline, and Super papaya enzymes. I take all 3 actually, I am trying to get off the papaya ones as I dislike the added calcium and some other stuff in them.

Other thoughts, it is probably just a me thing, but opposite of what you would think about rice making indigestion better and helping with digestion it always made it much worse for me especially if mixed with a fat or protein.  I have since dropping grains, carbs, roots, and going high fat and protein found myself gaining muscle weight, feeling "lighter" more energetic, and being in a much happier and satisfied life. It is probably a combination of supplements healthy fats, and low carb diet. But I just roll with life and and honestly do not panic like I used it. This is quite amusing actually considering my current money issues.....I honestly just feel it will work out even though the books show this month being so bad I will likely run out of food money mid month (bills, orders, rent, medications, all stacking at bad times vs my RSDI income checks and poor market sales).

Tried a keto or low carb diet? Imagine a easy diet of just eggs, fish, lean meats, leafy veggies, stir frys, omelettes, scrambles, tuna salad, avocados etc. There are even keto breads like the one my bakery makes or Julian bakery sells that are great for avocado or nut butter on toast.

Thank you, Ennis.  I will look into the marshmallow capsules.

The ketogenic diet is not likely to work for me, since I seem to better without eggs and avocado, and with less fat, poultry, and red meat.  Also, I notice that I digest better if food is well cooked, softer, and well mashed  (e.g. sweet potatoes). 

I appreciate your point about mixing carbs and fats. I had used the Suzanne Somers diet for years,  and always noticed how efficient my digestion was on that plan. It separates fats from carbs in meal; you have a meal with either fats or carbs.  When I'm mixing now, it's sometimes minimal, like salmon with a scant half cup of cooked white rice. Or some sweet potato with a little tuna mixed in.   But I'll watch this as well.

Thank you again.

Whitepaw Enthusiast
21 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

My bakery doesn't offer keto breads, but I'll look into these as well to see what ingredients they use. Is Julian available online?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 minutes ago, Whitepaw said:

My bakery doesn't offer keto breads, but I'll look into these as well to see what ingredients they use. Is Julian available online?

Might suggest the sampler pack. they do best for toast honestly, they MUST be kept in the fridge, or stored in the freezer.

Whitepaw Enthusiast
3 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Might suggest the sampler pack. they do best for toast honestly, they MUST be kept in the fridge, or stored in the freezer.

Darn!  Psyllium doesn't usually sit well with me.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
23 minutes ago, Whitepaw said:

Darn!  Psyllium doesn't usually sit well with me.  

They also make a grain free granola (Currently on sale when you buy a 2 pack) that many claim is a good cereal replacement. Oddly I have a issue with gums, I have to watch when I eat xantham gum in a meal and can not eat it with solid foods.

PS I hear you on the mush. I make super soft omelettes by adding almond milk to them and adding coconut, almond flour, and ground seeds to them. Makes them set up a bit while melting in your mouth. I add nutritional yeast to them also to make up for not using egg yolks (I do not digest them them). I also never consume solids for dinner. always vegan sugar free protein icecream. and a 6 egg white omelette mad extra soft.   OH side note to keep the omelettes from drying out I cook them in omelette makers in the microwave. Normally 2x 6 ones in the morning and  1x 6 one in the evening.

Whitepaw Enthusiast
10 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

They also make a grain free granola (Currently on sale when you buy a 2 pack) that many claim is a good cereal replacement. Oddly I have a issue with gums, I have to watch when I eat xantham gum in a meal and can not eat it with solid foods.

PS I hear you on the mush. I make super soft omelettes by adding almond milk to them and adding coconut, almond flour, and ground seeds to them. Makes them set up a bit while melting in your mouth. I add nutritional yeast to them also to make up for not using egg yolks (I do not digest them them). I also never consume solids for dinner. always vegan sugar free protein icecream. and a 6 egg white omelette mad extra soft.   OH side note to keep the omelettes from drying out I cook them in omelette makers in the microwave. Normally 2x 6 ones in the morning and  1x 6 one in the evening.

Hmmm .... Wonder if I might tolerate egg whites. I will try. Eggs, avocado, macadamia milk, almond milk, purity protocol oatmeal, and bananas fall into a category where I can have them just once or twice, then they disagree. I believe I can tolerate all as ingredients in a recipe.

Posterboy Mentor

cristiana and whitepaw,

here is a good livestrong article link on marshmallow tea.

if you scroll down the link they also have similar tea's like comfrey that they talk about.

Look up Mucilage's and you will see several digestive aides.  You are probably most familiar with Licorice.

Mucilages occur in a class of herbs called demulcent's.

this link has a good overview of demulcent herbs.

It is/should come as no surprise slippery elm is in that class of herbs.

I hope this is helpful.

**** this is not medical advice.

posterboy,

Whitepaw Enthusiast
5 hours ago, Posterboy said:

cristiana and whitepaw,

here is a good livestrong article link on marshmallow tea.

if you scroll down the link they also have similar tea's like comfrey that they talk about.

Look up Mucilage's and you will see several digestive aides.  You are probably most familiar with Licorice.

Mucilages occur in a class of herbs called demulcent's.

this link has a good overview of demulcent herbs.

It is/should come as no surprise slippery elm is in that class of herbs.

I hope this is helpful.

**** this is not medical advice.

posterboy,

Thank you, Posterboy. I ordered some marshmallow powder, which should arrive tomorrow.  

Package says nothing about how much to use, though.

Whitepaw Enthusiast
On 10/2/2017 at 7:56 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Other thoughts, it is probably just a me thing, but opposite of what you would think about rice making indigestion better and helping with digestion it always made it much worse for me especially if mixed with a fat or protein.  I have since dropping grains, carbs, roots, and going high fat and protein found myself gaining muscle weight, feeling "lighter" more energetic, and being in a much happier and satisfied life. It is probably a combination of supplements healthy fats, and low carb diet.

Thank you again, Ennis.   I tried salmon with spaghetti squash, and a few peas and carrots, and it did digest better.   However, now I'm hungry!   I recall feeling this way on the Suzanne Somers diet years ago.   Everything digested quickly, I was always energetic, always had that "light" feeling, but had to keep eating.   I will continue to try it this week, as it's something I can easily do since I've done it before. Thank you, again. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
11 minutes ago, Whitepaw said:

Thank you again, Ennis.   I tried salmon with spaghetti squash, and a few peas and carrots, and it did digest better.   However, now I'm hungry!   I recall feeling this way on the Suzanne Somers diet years ago.   Everything digested quickly, I was always energetic, always had that "light" feeling, but had to keep eating.   I will continue to try it this week, as it's something I can easily do since I've done it before. Thank you, again. 

If you feel the need to eat a bit later try some nuts or seeds.  Fats and protein keep you fuller for longer. I find whole shell pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds from GERBS are great snacks and chock full of fiber, or some toasted nuts that I toasted in pan in and keep in a bowl. A scoop of a vegan no added sugar protein powders works great in a small bowl with enough almond milk or water to turn it in to a pudding with stevia and a extact, I love doing this with homemade coconut yogurt. On that note toasted coconut chips from Lets do organic without sugar are great snacks, I sometimes just snack on a coconut wrap that I have torn into snacking strips. 

OH and be sure to drink plenty of liquids, I sometimes find myself wanting MORE, but convince myself to just have a hot cup of tea or coffee and wait a bit and it passes.

Whitepaw Enthusiast
20 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

If you feel the need to eat a bit later try some nuts or seeds.  Fats and protein keep you fuller for longer. I find whole shell pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds from GERBS are great snacks and chock full of fiber, or some toasted nuts that I toasted in pan in and keep in a bowl. A scoop of a vegan no added sugar protein powders works great in a small bowl with enough almond milk or water to turn it in to a pudding with stevia and a extact, I love doing this with homemade coconut yogurt. On that note toasted coconut chips from Lets do organic without sugar are great snacks, I sometimes just snack on a coconut wrap that I have torn into snacking strips. 

OH and be sure to drink plenty of liquids, I sometimes find myself wanting MORE, but convince myself to just have a hot cup of tea or coffee and wait a bit and it passes.

Hi Ennis,

I can't do nuts and seeds right now.   Only soft stuff.   Not sure what a coconut wrap is, but if it's soft it might work.   Is this something you make or buy?     

How much marshmallow is in your capsules, and how much do you use at once?   My bag of root powder arrived today.

I am doing a ton better today, stuck with very small portions, limited fluids with meals, only the mildest foods that I tolerate, and separated fats from carbs as much as possible.   No heartburn, burping, extra bloating.   Getting ready for yet ANOTHER dinner of salmon, which continues to make me feel good and digests fairly well. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Whitepaw said:

Hi Ennis,

I can't do nuts and seeds right now.   Only soft stuff.   Not sure what a coconut wrap is, but if it's soft it might work.   Is this something you make or buy?     

How much marshmallow is in your capsules, and how much do you use at once?   My bag of root powder arrived today.

I am doing a ton better today, stuck with very small portions, limited fluids with meals, only the mildest foods that I tolerate, and separated fats from carbs as much as possible.   No heartburn, burping, extra bloating.   Getting ready for yet ANOTHER dinner of salmon, which continues to make me feel good and digests fairly well. 

Nut butters? I learned a long time ago to chew stuff that is hard til I can swish it....no chunks at all. Takes forever but makes meals satisfying. Coconut Wraps by NUCO are soft and dissolved in you mouth after chewing for awhile...it is a tortilla made of coconut flour basically. They are expensive I buy them on Thrive or Lucky vitamin depending on sales, I got buy one get one last week on Lucky, then thrive offered a 30% off discount for me yesterday on them so I double stocked.

About 1/2 tsp in each one I take 2-3 of them.

I dropped carbs completely and I feel great...I hate when I have carbs in the foods I do eat and not enough fats...it throws me out of keto and makes me feel sick, heavy, bloated, and achy like I have virus.

• 2 weeks later...
Whitepaw Enthusiast

Hi Cristiana,

Doing any better?    I am finally on my way.   My GI told me to add low FODMAP to my plan.  I was already gluten-free, DF, CF, and on an acid reflux diet.    I had a bad day a week ago, and made some low FODMAP chicken soup.   I ate only that, Udi's white sandwich bread, rice crackers, and a little almond butter (thanks Ennis for that tip!) for two days.   I felt a little limp, but could tell a difference in my stomach. 

After 2 days, I had microwaved salmon, 1/4 cup sweet potatoes, and squash and did fine.   It's been a week and I've had no breakthrough heartburn, bloating is decreasing, and I haven't even thought of taking Tums or simethicone.   I have even entertained dropping down to one Prilosec per day, but know that's premature.   I am still limiting my diet to salmon, soup, bread, crackers, almond butter, but am adding in some different low FODMAP foods daily with no problems. 

I did try marshmallow root.  It was initially lovely, then created a gas explosion in my stomach, so I guess that one is not for me. 

If you are interested in low FODMAP, I found Kate Scalata's website very helpful. She has food lists, shopping lists, and many recipes.   If you read the comments under the recipes, you will learn even more.   If you are following an acid reduction diet, too, you will need to watch for those ingredients in recipes.  Here is a link to her food lists.  You can get to recipes and the shopping list from this page.  Open Original Shared Link

I also picked up Karen Frazier's Flexible Low Fodmap diet, as these recipes are all low FODMAP, plus she lists substitutions or eliminations to make them for acid reflux.  Here is a site that has some free stuff:   Open Original Shared Link   and here is her book:  Open Original Shared Link

cristiana Veteran

Hello everyone

Thank you so much for all your contributions and tips, I'm sorry for my absence but I've had a big project deadline to complete.

Over all, I think things are on the mend for me too.  I was quite cynical at the doctors' approach at first. I'd have much rather had a scope to find out what was happening, instead of being prescribed three months of omemprazole or zantac to see if it helped.  Unfortunately the gen on the zantac contraindictaions list stipulated that zantac should only be prescribed if your doctor is sure what is wrong with you, as it might otherwise be covering up cancer!  Those aren't the things a hypochondriac wants to read! 

Anyway,  during this that time I've taken one months of omeprazole (20mg) and as that gave me D I changed to two months of zantac (most days only 75mg a day, but doubling the dose on odd occasions when the burn seemed to come back).  During much of this period I've tried to keep my diet low in fat, spicy food, drinking very little caffeine, drinking strong camomile and slipper elm, and I think a key help has not eating for a 12 hour stretch overnight because I think that really helps the stomach heal.

I hope my system is finally recovering and hope to come off the zantac towards the end of this month.  It is hard to phase these things out slowly when you are already on the minimum dose, but all the tips about marshmallow, licorice and slippery elm etc will no doubt come very helpful then!  

I have come to the conclusion that this is a new weakness in my system and I'll have to be very careful to avoid gastritis in the future, by no longer taking asprin (unless the doctor ever tells me I have to), not over doing fat, greasy food, etc.  The last time I drank some sparkling wine or fizzy drinks was awful, so I shall avoid them too.

Throughout this time probiotics have helped me with the C, upper left quadrant pain  and wind that the zantac seems to have produced!

And of course all the help from you guys.

Will keep you posted Whitepaw on life post-zantac!

JosephK116 Apprentice

Gastritis was my initial diagnoses before finding out I had celiac. The pains from the gastritis were terrible. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to eat cause I felt nauseous. The Doc prescribed me omeprozole and antacids. I took the meds for about a week but I cured it mostly by not drinking and eliminated caffeine intake. Alcohol was one of the main causes for mine 

cristiana Veteran
5 hours ago, JosephK116 said:

Gastritis was my initial diagnoses before finding out I had celiac. The pains from the gastritis were terrible. I had to wake up in the middle of the night to eat cause I felt nauseous. The Doc prescribed me omeprozole and antacids. I took the meds for about a week but I cured it mostly by not drinking and eliminated caffeine intake. Alcohol was one of the main causes for mine 

Its interesting you should say that. I don't normally drink alcohol, I've always felt it tasted like medicine - no idea why! -  but drank some sparkling wine recently out of politeness.  Oh the pain!  At my last appointment my gastroenterologist had asked me if I drank - she never told me why, but if that's what alcohol does to people with gastritis it should be the first thing to avoid I reckon.

Also interesting that you had that as an initial diagnosis.  I too had what I am sure was gastritis pain before I was diagnosed.  I was on omeprazole for a month which took the pain away but omeprazole seems to cause D for me. The strange thing was after I stopped the omeprazole the D did not.  That was why I ended up having the scope.  In a way, I wonder if I would have ever been diagnosed had it not been for the gastritis and the omeprozole. 

Archived