This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help with Greek restaurant Ingredients list

Scarlettsdad

Scarlettsdad Contributor

Hi everyone.

I'm planning to go to a Greek restaurant in the area (Toronto) and I actually went in to one today to check out all their ingredients today. The manager was kind enough to show me everything they use to make their chicken slouvaki, roast potatoes and rice.

Besides Canola oil (with dimethylpolysiloxane), Heinz tomato juice (to flavour their potatoes)-both of which I assume are safe, they also use chicken broth on both their roast potatoes and rice.

Heinz mustard is used for the chicken and that also I assume is safe.

Here is a pic of the ingredients of the chicken broth. I've done the best I can to check on each ingredient but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything of concern.

Any info/help regarding this is very much appreciated.

Does anything here look iffy/questionable?

Thank you!

Capture3.PNG

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
18 minutes ago, Scarlettsdad said:

Hi everyone.

I'm planning to go to a Greek restaurant in the area (Toronto) and I actually went in to one today to check out all their ingredients today. The manager was kind enough to show me everything they use to make their chicken slouvaki, roast potatoes and rice.

Besides Canola oil (with dimethylpolysiloxane), Heinz tomato juice (to flavour their potatoes)-both of which I assume are safe, they also use chicken broth on both their roast potatoes and rice.

Heinz mustard is used for the chicken and that also I assume is safe.

Here is a pic of the ingredients of the chicken broth. I've done the best I can to check on each ingredient but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything of concern.

Any info/help regarding this is very much appreciated.

Does anything here look iffy/questionable?

Thank you!

Capture3.PNG

Did you go to the one you are actually going to?  It sounds like you didn't.  Just because one place uses one ingredient, doesn't mean another doesn't make food a bit differently.  And then there is the issue of cross contamination and how careful they will be to keep your food gluten-free.  Or if they even have a clue what gluten-free means.  

I think you need to check with the plac you want to eat.  You may not be able to eat safely there.

Scarlettsdad Contributor

I used to go there (pre daughter's diagnosis) and we'd like to try it out again now that we know what to look out for..we're thinking about ordering food for takeout for about 10 people or so,as long as it meets our special diet criteria. He'd treat it like a special order in that they'd use fresh new utensils, have the grill cleaned beforehand and avoid cross contamination as best as possible. He also knows we will not be including any pita/bread with the order. I sat down with him for about 20 minutes and he showed me each ingredient container they use. 

and i just realized i misspelled souvlaki in original post :P

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Karen.  It sounds like you checked a Greek restaurant to find out how they prepare food, but you are going to different one to eat.  Recipes and food handling can vary even among chains.  

Have you found the restaurant in Toronto in "Find Me Gluten Free"?  We try only those that are recommended by celiacs.  Even then, you should always weigh the risks.  Will a glutening impact her for long?   Is it worth being sick for that $20 plate of food?  Consider bringing/making her favorite food -- something special so that she does not feel left out.  

My family is big on Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches.  My folks ship it in for holidays.  But the celiacs in the family get something else.  A bummer?  Maybe, but that steak tastes pretty good!  ?We always make sure we have a terriffic gluten free dessert that we can all share.  

I think the biggest thing to worry about is cross contamination.  

Scarlettsdad Contributor
11 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I agree with Karen.  It sounds like you checked a Greek restaurant to find out how they prepare food, but you are going to different one to eat.  Recipes and food handling can vary even among chains.  

Have you found the restaurant in Toronto in "Find Me Gluten Free"?  We try only those that are recommended by celiacs.  Even then, you should always weigh the risks.  Will a glutening impact her for long?   Is it worth being sick for that $20 plate of food?  Consider bringing/making her favorite food -- something special so that she does not feel left out.  

My family is big on Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches.  My folks ship it in for holidays.  But the celiacs in the family get something else.  A bummer?  Maybe, but that steak tastes pretty good!  ?We always make sure we have a terriffic gluten free dessert that we can all share.  

I think the biggest thing to worry about is cross contamination.  

It's the ingredient list to the same one we'd like to order from. The only issue right now is 'Hydrolyzed Soy Protein'..but i understand that if it was created using wheat, it would have to state that. Not 100% sure though. I will definitely take a look at Find me Gluten Free. Thanks for that.

kareng Grand Master
2 minutes ago, Scarlettsdad said:

It's the ingredient list to the same one we'd like to order from. The only issue right now is 'Hydrolyzed Soy Protein'..but i understand that if it was created using wheat, it would have to state that. Not 100% sure though. I will definitely take a look at Find me Gluten Free. Thanks for that.

2 minutes ago, Scarlettsdad said:

Sorry.  Your original post made it sound, to me,  like you picked a random Greek restauruant and assumed all Greek restauruant Susie the same ingredients!  Lol

hydrolized soy protein couldn't have wheat - it's soy.  Soy is a plant completely different than wheat.

Archived