Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Boreal

Soy sauce

Rate this topic

I was looking at package of California rolls (rice rolls).  The label listed allergens and did not include wheat.  I checked the ingredients anyway and saw soy sauce (water, soy bean salt, modified soy starch).  I'm confused.  I didn't buy it because it listed soy sauce and I wasn't sure.  Any thoughts or experience?

Most, but not all, soy sauces contain wheat. As a top allergen, the wheat must be labelled by that exact word--wheat. The list in parentheses after the "soy sauce" is the ingredients in that particular ingredient. No gluten there. Enjoy it! It is safe.

8 minutes ago, psawyer said:

Most, but not all, soy sauces contain wheat. As a top allergen, the wheat must be labelled by that exact word--wheat. The list in parentheses after the "soy sauce" is the ingredients in that particular ingredient. No gluten there. Enjoy it! It is safe.

Would the same apply to Hydrolyzed Soy Protein?

18 minutes ago, Scarlettsdad said:

Would the same apply to Hydrolyzed Soy Protein?

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein is Soy Protein not wheat protein

42 minutes ago, Boreal said:

I was looking at package of California rolls (rice rolls).  The label listed allergens and did not include wheat.  I checked the ingredients anyway and saw soy sauce (water, soy bean salt, modified soy starch).  I'm confused.  I didn't buy it because it listed soy sauce and I wasn't sure.  Any thoughts or experience?

There is a form of soy sauce called Tamari Soy sauce which is derived from just soy and not wheat commonly being gluten free.

Other options for soy sauce exist, I personally can not have soy but have found the perfect replacement in Coconut Aminos has a almost identical taste and can be subbed in all recipes exactly as soy sauce is. Coconut secret makes this product and it is completely gluten free, they also make great garlic sauce and a tarayaki sauce, along with some great Ungranola (granola made without oats and gluten free) and some good chocolate bars. Feel free to check out there site and get a mixed order in. I personally have a whole sale account with them and get in co-opted bulk orders with some others a few times a year.

• Upvote 2

Yes, if there was wheat it would be disclosed. Hydrolyzed protein is not a concern, unless it is wheat protein. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info.  I use tamari or Bragg Aminos at home, I was just concerned about seeing soy sauce in the ingredient list.  But now I won't be in this particular case.  Thank you all.