Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
Scarlettsdad

Different types of Soy ingredients

Rate this topic

Are all soy ingredients similar when it comes to allergies? In other words, if you are allergic to soy, would you react to all types of soy?..ex)soy lecithin, defatted soy flour, etc? I'm asking because my daughter doesn't react to those 2 types of soy(defatted soy flour is found in kinnikinnik's gluten-free pancake mix and soy lecithin in other types of gluten-free food), so would it be safe to have her try foods that have other forms of soy? ex) soy protein. Excuse me if these questions seem silly or have obvious answers but I'm still somewhat new to what to look out for and learning every day! :)

True allergies are usually to proteins.  Lecithin would have a lot less protein than soy flour.  Does your daughter have a diagnosed soy allergy?

I am okay with lecithin and can have limited amounts of soy oil, like in mayo. Soy protein or flour definately not okay. If you want to test soy protein or flour have her try them one at a time a couple times a day for a week or until she reacts if she reacts sooner.  Try them in items that have limited ingredients that you already know she tolerates.

I have a true soy allergy (mouth and throat begin to itch immediately upon ingestion, positive skin prick test). I personally avoid soy lecithin, although I know that it should not contain any protein, which is the part that people with allergies react to. I don't worry about soybean oil (which can be labelled as vegetable oil in Canada) as much, though I avoid where possible. To be honest though, the ingredient that gives me the most chagrin is the dreaded "natural flavours." I stay away from it even in gluten-free labelled products unless I specific disclaimer is made, which is a biiig bummer.