This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

pregnant - need vitamin advice

nmizer

nmizer Newbie

So i'm in desperate need of some advice asap. I recently just found out i'm pregnant (about 7/weeks). I also have Celiac and just started a gluten free diet(about 3/weeks). I've been taking chewy gluten-free prenatal for almost a year but i noticed it doesn't have any iron. So my questions are, is my body absorbing the vitamins where i haven't fully healed, and should i also be taking Vitron-C to get the iron i need.

Just moved from another state and havent been able to get a good doctor whose well informed on Celiac. 

Thank you so much in advance!

Nikki

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
3 minutes ago, nmizer said:

So i'm in desperate need of some advice asap. I recently just found out i'm pregnant (about 7/weeks). I also have Celiac and just started a gluten free diet(about 3/weeks). I've been taking chewy gluten-free prenatal for almost a year but i noticed it doesn't have any iron. So my questions are, is my body absorbing the vitamins where i haven't fully healed, and should i also be taking Vitron-C to get the iron i need.

Just moved from another state and havent been able to get a good doctor whose well informed on Celiac. 

Thank you so much in advance!

Nikki

Go to your OB and they will test you and see if you need iron.  Seems like most pregnant women need it.

Victoria1234 Experienced

Congratulations!

personally I took a big horse pill of a prenatal chock full of iron that the obgyn recommended each time I was pg. Do what your doc recommends. They should do a test to see if you need it or not, and if so, about how much you need.

nmizer Newbie

My Doctor isn't to informed on Celiac and honestly doesn't seem to concerned about my questions. (only doctor i can afford atm).

she seems to think everything is okay, but i had a miscarriage about 6 months ago, and was wondering anything i can do on my own to help my little one grow and survive in my hostile body.

kareng Grand Master
6 minutes ago, nmizer said:

My Doctor isn't to informed on Celiac and honestly doesn't seem to concerned about my questions. (only doctor i can afford atm).

she seems to think everything is okay, but i had a miscarriage about 6 months ago, and was wondering anything i can do on my own to help my little one grow and survive in my hostile body.

It doesn't matter if he understands Celiac disease or not - the standard of care for pregnant women is to do routine blood tests - one is to check for anemia.  Many pregnant women are anemic - so they test for that.  Then you will know if you need more iron or not

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree with Karen that your doctor should already be doing blood work to check for deficiencies. A good prenatal is usually advised for all pregnant wormen but even more important is to get a good handle on the gluten-free diet. Be sure to go to the Coping section and read the Newbie 101 thread that is at the top.  Be strict as this is not a time to take risks with eating in restaurants or even in non-celiac family and friends homes. Congratulations and try not to worry too much. I know that is easier said than done after suffering a loss. I hope everything goes well for you.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Congratulations!  Take everyones advice and ask your doctor for a nutritional deficiency work up.  My GI offers me one on every annual visit.  In the meantime, consider a good multi-vitamin that is gluten free.  For extra insurance (for less worries and until you have time to research other brands), Country Life is certified gluten-free.    Ask your doctor to run a thyroid panel.  celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease is linked.  Going hypo can lead to a miscarriage.  My OB kept a eye on my thyroid throughout my pregnancy because I already had Hashimoto's.  Finally, eat a good Whole Foods diet that is rich in veggies and fruit and protein.    Of course, indulge in moderation goodies too.  Do not eat out.  And because I like to exercise.....walk or swim.  Something not strenuous but that will keep you in shape.  I think it makes it easier for delivering your baby and to recover.  

Enjoy this time!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Linden Newbie

I didn't take a prenatal vitamin. I had hyperemisis gravidarum during my third pregnancy and couldn't keep a prenatal down. I took Juice Plus instead and had a healthier baby despite my condition than my first two "vitamin babies". 

Archived