Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

It's hot out there and I was wondering if anyone out there knows of some great tasting ice creams or sorbets that are safe? I'm not a big fan of the coconut milks or soy milks stuff either. I just bought some of the Chloe's bars to give them a taste but I miss my Ice Cream! Any suggestions that won't make me regret eating it later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of ice creams and sorbets are safe.  Read the ingredients.  Obviously don't get things like cookie dough flavor.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kareng said:

Lots of ice creams and sorbets are safe.  Read the ingredients.  Obviously don't get things like cookie dough flavor.  

Mc Donald's soft serve ice cream is also safe, correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Scarlettsdad said:

Mc Donald's soft serve ice cream is also safe, correct? 

-_- Depends on the facility, they make those mixes in huge buckets then pour over into the machine, there is a chance for CC there big time. But yes the base ingredients are safe....not sure of the machine, the idiot mixing it, or the device used to mix it.

 

On icecream there are plenty of gluten free and even gluten free certified ones, NOTE a lot of celiacs have issues with dairy starting off due to damaged villi not producing enough enzymes to break down the lactose. You might have to drop dairy for a few months for healing if it gives you issues. 

On this last note there are plenty of dairy free options like so delicious makes gluten-free certified diary free bars, and pints. if you need a sugar free option in addition I might suggest Wink who make gluten free and sugar free ice creams and you can even order these online and have them shipped to you, and they do have cookie dough and cake batter flavors gluten-free lol https://winkfrozendesserts.com/collections/wink-frozen-desserts-pints

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on Wendy's website that their frosty's are gluten-free.  

I also looked  online and found many gluten-free ice creams.  Here are some links I found - 

 

http://www.breyers.com/product/category/749112/gluten-free-ice-cream

 

http://www.glutenawayblog.com/2016/07/edy-gluten-free-ice-cream-list.html

and-   https://www.edys.com/faqs

 

warning....this page made me crave ice cream, lol:

https://www.haagendazs.us/dietary/gluten-free/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qbLBRB7EiwAftBCI9HNbjNmeJVMKWfntUX22HZj94_Fge_n9t9mBZ7Ngu0AvW39xmkDTRoC6loQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

Oh, and here is the list from Wendy's that mentions the frosty's-

https://www.wendys.com/en-us/gluten-info

 

and you can check the Friendly's brand ice cream here:

https://www.friendlys.com/nutrition-allergens/

 

There's even more online....if you see a sale on a certain brand in your local sales flyer, you can always do a search on that specific brand.  

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LilyR said:

I saw on Wendy's website that their frosty's are gluten-free.  

I also looked  online and found many gluten-free ice creams.  Here are some links I found - 

 

http://www.breyers.com/product/category/749112/gluten-free-ice-cream

 

http://www.glutenawayblog.com/2016/07/edy-gluten-free-ice-cream-list.html

and-   https://www.edys.com/faqs

 

warning....this page made me crave ice cream, lol:

https://www.haagendazs.us/dietary/gluten-free/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qbLBRB7EiwAftBCI9HNbjNmeJVMKWfntUX22HZj94_Fge_n9t9mBZ7Ngu0AvW39xmkDTRoC6loQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

Oh, and here is the list from Wendy's that mentions the frosty's-

https://www.wendys.com/en-us/gluten-info

 

and you can check the Friendly's brand ice cream here:

https://www.friendlys.com/nutrition-allergens/

 

There's even more online....if you see a sale on a certain brand in your local sales flyer, you can always do a search on that specific brand.  

 

 

Wow, had no idea Haagen Dazs had gluten free options anywhere. I hope the same is the case here in Canada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LilyR said:

I saw on Wendy's website that their frosty's are gluten-free.  

I also looked  online and found many gluten-free ice creams.  Here are some links I found - 

 

http://www.breyers.com/product/category/749112/gluten-free-ice-cream

 

http://www.glutenawayblog.com/2016/07/edy-gluten-free-ice-cream-list.html

and-   https://www.edys.com/faqs

 

warning....this page made me crave ice cream, lol:

https://www.haagendazs.us/dietary/gluten-free/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qbLBRB7EiwAftBCI9HNbjNmeJVMKWfntUX22HZj94_Fge_n9t9mBZ7Ngu0AvW39xmkDTRoC6loQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

Oh, and here is the list from Wendy's that mentions the frosty's-

https://www.wendys.com/en-us/gluten-info

 

and you can check the Friendly's brand ice cream here:

https://www.friendlys.com/nutrition-allergens/

 

There's even more online....if you see a sale on a certain brand in your local sales flyer, you can always do a search on that specific brand.  

 

 

Friendlys?  Just be careful.  Cross contamination is the risk here or any ice cream shop.  To be safe, ask for a them to use a clean scooper and to use a fresh tub of ice cream.  Always confirm that the items are gluten free.  Managers can run to the grocery store if they run out of their own products.    So that fudge sauce (or whatever) might not be gluten free for the day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 8:10 PM, kareng said:

Lots of ice creams and sorbets are safe.  Read the ingredients.  Obviously don't get things like cookie dough flavor.  

The only thing that worries me is the cross contamination risk in the plants. Around Cincinnati they have graeters. This is the best damn ice cream there is. If you look at their website though, every flavor is listed as gluten-free, even the cookie dough. I try to get in touch with them but never can get a response. Their Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip is the best there is. When I got out of basic training I ate 2 pints in about 15 minutes. Loved it. Turkeyhill makes a gluten-free list.  They're not that bad but just worried about the CC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 11:29 AM, cyclinglady said:

Friendlys?  Just be careful.  Cross contamination is the risk here or any ice cream shop.  To be safe, ask for a them to use a clean scooper and to use a fresh tub of ice cream.  Always confirm that the items are gluten free.  Managers can run to the grocery store if they run out of their own products.    So that fudge sauce (or whatever) might not be gluten free for the day.  

I would be worried too, going there to eat because in the past I've had such careless service in general at our local one, I'd hate to trust them to not cross-contaminate. But you can buy their ice cream at grocery stores, so I think the flavors they list on their website as gluten-free should be okay to get at the grocery store.  That at least is a plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 10:44 AM, Scarlettsdad said:

Wow, had no idea Haagen Dazs had gluten free options anywhere. I hope the same is the case here in Canada. 

I hope it's the same in your country.  Can you try emailing them and asking?  I just wish they were not so pricey.  I got some on sale, and it was so good.  But I am on a limited budget, so that is going to have to be a rare treat.  But a treat indeed! :)  I got rum raisin and ate it in two days.  I have a pineapple-coconut one also that I'm saving for some other day I get a sweet craving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 9:34 AM, pdm1981 said:

The only thing that worries me is the cross contamination risk in the plants. Around Cincinnati they have graeters. This is the best damn ice cream there is. If you look at their website though, every flavor is listed as gluten-free, even the cookie dough. I try to get in touch with them but never can get a response. Their Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip is the best there is. When I got out of basic training I ate 2 pints in about 15 minutes. Loved it. Turkeyhill makes a gluten-free list.  They're not that bad but just worried about the CC. 

Yum, black raspberry chocolate chip sounds so good!  I always liked black raspberry in general, and putting chocolate jimmies on it.  I bet the chocolate chips are even better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 0:41 PM, LilyR said:

I hope it's the same in your country.  Can you try emailing them and asking?  I just wish they were not so pricey.  I got some on sale, and it was so good.  But I am on a limited budget, so that is going to have to be a rare treat.  But a treat indeed! :)  I got rum raisin and ate it in two days.  I have a pineapple-coconut one also that I'm saving for some other day I get a sweet craving. 

I did email Nestle re their Haagen Dazs ice creams and I'm pretty happy with their response:

"Thank you for inquiring about our gluten-free products. We always want to hear from our consumers and appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

To help our consumers make informed choices, major allergens including ingredients containing gluten are labeled on foods even when present in small quantities.  Gluten is a type of protein found in cereal plants like wheat, barley, rye, triticale and oats. In case of gluten intolerance, before buying a food product, we recommend to always check the ingredients list.  If gluten is added to a food it will be listed in the ingredient label as “gluten”, “hydrolyzed wheat gluten”, “wheat protein”, or “wheat protein isolate”.

At this time, I do not have a complete listing of all our gluten-free products; however, if you are interested in finding out more about the gluten content of a particular product, please call our toll-free number, 1-800-387-4636, one of our Consumer Care Specialists will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Nestlé,"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scarlettsdad said:

I did email Nestle re their Haagen Dazs ice creams and I'm pretty happy with their response:

"Thank you for inquiring about our gluten-free products. We always want to hear from our consumers and appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

To help our consumers make informed choices, major allergens including ingredients containing gluten are labeled on foods even when present in small quantities.  Gluten is a type of protein found in cereal plants like wheat, barley, rye, triticale and oats. In case of gluten intolerance, before buying a food product, we recommend to always check the ingredients list.  If gluten is added to a food it will be listed in the ingredient label as “gluten”, “hydrolyzed wheat gluten”, “wheat protein”, or “wheat protein isolate”.

At this time, I do not have a complete listing of all our gluten-free products; however, if you are interested in finding out more about the gluten content of a particular product, please call our toll-free number, 1-800-387-4636, one of our Consumer Care Specialists will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Nestlé,"

I eat Haagen Dazs with no issues and it is delicious!  I know that vanilla, vanilla bean,  strawberry and chocolate are all labelled gluten free too.  They have these new Trios that look amazing...my husband assures me that they are!  They aren't labelled gluten free, although no gluten ingredients.  They have so though and I can't have that.

I also eat Breyers Natural Vanilla with no issues and it's really good too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, icelandgirl said:

I eat Haagen Dazs with no issues and it is delicious!  I know that vanilla, vanilla bean,  strawberry and chocolate are all labelled gluten free too.  They have these new Trios that look amazing...my husband assures me that they are!  They aren't labelled gluten free, although no gluten ingredients.  They have so though and I can't have that.

I also eat Breyers Natural Vanilla with no issues and it's really good too.

I don't think they're labelled gluten-free here in Canada but I trust they are. I'm sure my daughter (she has Celiac and hence we are all gluten-free in the family) will love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So from what the customer service said, it sounds like it is the same in Canada as the US?  But very handy to know that all you have to do is read the ingredients and it will be very clear and easy to figure out what flavors might contain gluten.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 9:20 PM, Ennis_TX said:

-_- Depends on the facility, they make those mixes in huge buckets then pour over into the machine, there is a chance for CC there big time. But yes the base ingredients are safe....not sure of the machine, the idiot mixing it, or the device used to mix it.

 

On icecream there are plenty of gluten free and even gluten free certified ones, NOTE a lot of celiacs have issues with dairy starting off due to damaged villi not producing enough enzymes to break down the lactose. You might have to drop dairy for a few months for healing if it gives you issues. 

On this last note there are plenty of dairy free options like so delicious makes gluten-free certified diary free bars, and pints. if you need a sugar free option in addition I might suggest Wink who make gluten free and sugar free ice creams and you can even order these online and have them shipped to you, and they do have cookie dough and cake batter flavors gluten-free lol https://winkfrozendesserts.com/collections/wink-frozen-desserts-pints

so all the wink flavors are gluten-free?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pdm1981 said:

so all the wink flavors are gluten-free?

Yes , dairy free, sugar free, gluten free, vegan, soy free, bloody heaven in a pint, I use them for when I am heading out and can not make my own and crave some.  LOL I actually tried to convince them to sell me their mix whole sale in 5 gallon buckets for use in my own machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4

×