Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

nlkopp17

Positive blood test, negative endoscopy

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 13 years ago.  My GI doctor said my blood test was positive but when I had my endoscopy he said it looked like classic celiac and I should adhere to the diet.  When I got the report, however, everything came back "normal".  I stayed on a strict gluten-free diet for years then started "cheating" and have seen no difference between being strictly gluten-free or not.  Is it possible to have Celiac and a normal endoscopy?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nlkopp17 said:

I was diagnosed with Celiac about 13 years ago.  My GI doctor said my blood test was positive but when I had my endoscopy he said it looked like classic celiac and I should adhere to the diet.  When I got the report, however, everything came back "normal".  I stayed on a strict gluten-free diet for years then started "cheating" and have seen no difference between being strictly gluten-free or not.  Is it possible to have Celiac and a normal endoscopy?? 

I am sorry that you are struggling with this.  Yes, you can have positives on the celiac panel and a negative biopsy.  The intestinal tract is vast.  Bigger than a tennis court!  It can be easy to miss areas of damage.  This is one reason why experts recommend more than four samples from a various locations.  You could have had a false positive on the blood test.  Other autoimmune disorders can raise the TTG falsely. 

But you were you initially sick with GI symptoms?  Did they resolve in a gluten-free diet?  Have you had follow-up celiac care (blood tests for antiobodies and nutritional deficiencies?  Did you keep copies of test results?   What did your GI say about the conflicting reports?  

Celiacs with healed intestines have reported cheating and feeling fine.  But once a celiac, always a celiac, so any repeated exposures is going  to re-activate the disease.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't finish my gluten challenge past 6 days so the gold standard damage a Dr hope to see was not there, but I felt every bit of it and more.

they also spent more time focused on my esophagus and stomach because that was where they saw the most  transparent damage. They never gave me my full pathology report just the immediate images /report and a diagnosis of Barrett's & food intolerances . I was told to keep a food dairy. My body could not get past 6 days of gluten. I skipped  one day after the 6 as a much needed break. I was becoming very dehydrated. I tried to eat more to finish the challenge but couldn't. I couldn't wait for the scopes so I could get an IV I wanted and needed the hydration. Water wasn't working.

I still have no idea how they could miss intestinal damage based on my symptoms and how I felt , but the dr I had said the small intestine looked fine from what she and her med student saw during the procedure .

I was gluten-free for 31/2 years prior to my gluten challenge, I was told to take ppi s and Zyrtec during my gluten challenge so I'm not sure how that factored in. My bloat was more gradual and less extreme. I believe because of the anti histamine and the ppi acting as a h2 receptor blocker changed my typical immune reaction, but I was still reacting. It was was gi but I had even  more systemic pain symptom fall out then I had prior to being  gluten-free. I honestly don't think one biological system was not effected in some way. 

They told my husband since your wife and you both report she can't eat gluten tell her to return to her gluten-free diet. ironically I then got 8 additional food intolerances and multiple chemical & additives /preservatives sensitivities. The experts on celiac .com said go Whole Foods only . It helps.

As I heal the issues improve, but I still have more issues that occurred all at once that now linger longer than I had prior to 2016. 

So yes I believe one can miss it or for circumstances as mine the symptoms are so serve that the patient can't finish the current required gluten challenge duration protocol/time line. This can limit their test and equipment detection.

you may have healed well over 13 years . I would agree with cycling lady once a celiac always a celiac. If you have been gluten-free for a while the amount gluten consumed, your immune health now stronger  , stress level, overall well being maybe much better than 13 years ago .

my opinion your immune system maybe manifesting the reactive symptoms different than 13 years ago, but it doesn't mean the immune system is not detecting it and affecting you.

as the wise gluten-free in D.C. Answered me they can't rule you in definitivly, but they can't rule you out either. Which is why I'm back on the lifestyle after the challenge.

i would suggest sticking with the lifestyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

I couldn't finish my gluten challenge past 6 days so the gold standard damage a Dr hope to see was not there, but I felt every bit of it and more.

they also spent more time focused on my esophagus and stomach because that was where they saw the most  transparent damage. They never gave me my full pathology report just the immediate images /report and a diagnosis of Barrett's & food intolerances . I was told to keep a food dairy. My body could not get past 6 days of gluten. I skipped  one day after the 6 as a much needed break. I was becoming very dehydrated. I tried to eat more to finish the challenge but couldn't. I couldn't wait for the scopes so I could get an IV I wanted and needed the hydration. Water wasn't working.

I still have no idea how they could miss intestinal damage based on my symptoms and how I felt , but the dr I had said the small intestine looked fine from what she and her med student saw during the procedure .

I was gluten-free for 31/2 years prior to my gluten challenge, I was told to take ppi s and Zyrtec during my gluten challenge so I'm not sure how that factored in. My bloat was more gradual and less extreme. I believe because of the anti histamine and the ppi acting as a h2 receptor blocker changed my typical immune reaction, but I was still reacting. It was was gi but I had even  more systemic pain symptom fall out then I had prior to being  gluten-free. I honestly don't think one biological system was not effected in some way. 

They told my husband since your wife and you both report she can't eat gluten tell her to return to her gluten-free diet. ironically I then got 8 additional food intolerances and multiple chemical & additives /preservatives sensitivities. The experts on celiac .com said go Whole Foods only . It helps.

As I heal the issues improve, but I still have more issues that occurred all at once that now linger longer than I had prior to 2016. 

So yes I believe one can miss it or for circumstances as mine the symptoms are so serve that the patient can't finish the current required gluten challenge duration protocol/time line. This can limit their test and equipment detection.

you may have healed well over 13 years . I would agree with cycling lady once a celiac always a celiac. If you have been gluten-free for a while the amount gluten consumed, your immune health now stronger  , stress level, overall well being maybe much better than 13 years ago .

my opinion your immune system maybe manifesting the reactive symptoms different than 13 years ago, but it doesn't mean the immune system is not detecting it and affecting you.

as the wise gluten-free in D.C. Answered me they can't rule you in definitivly, but they can't rule you out either. Which is why I'm back on the lifestyle after the challenge.

i would suggest sticking with the lifestyle.

AWOL....did they even take intestinal biopsies?  My visual looked good per my GI, but my biopsies revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 5:05 PM, cyclinglady said:

AWOL....did they even take intestinal biopsies?  My visual looked good per my GI, but my biopsies revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB.   

They did but their main concern was about the Barrett's they found. so they told my husband that was more important then our celiac concerns. Additionally, the follow up reports I was provided appear to be incomplete. Only the first (bulb) and second (descending) part of the dueodenum are discussed not the 3 and 4. I am confused as to where those details are.

my husband and I have concerns but in the end they told him if you and your wife believe she reacts to gluten tell her not to eat it. So the end result was you have Barrett's and don't eat gluten.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

They did but their main concern was about the Barrett's they found. so they told my husband that was more important then our celiac concerns. Additionally, the follow up reports I was provided appear to be incomplete. Only the first (bulb) and second (descending) part of the dueodenum are discussed not the 3 and 4. I am confused as to where those details are.

my husband and I have concerns but in the end they told him if you and your wife believe she reacts to gluten tell her not to eat it. So the end result was you have Barrett's and don't eat gluten.

 

But Barrett's is caused by acid reflux and acid reflux can be a direct result of...............undiagnosed Celiac Disease.  Once again, they fail to trace back to the most probable root cause.  :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2017 at 4:51 PM, Gemini said:

But Barrett's is caused by acid reflux and acid reflux can be a direct result of...............undiagnosed Celiac Disease.  Once again, they fail to trace back to the most probable root cause.  :blink:

Gemini nailed it!  Can you be my Dr? I asked them directly and they did not answer. They wanted me to go have some surgical procedure my insurance would not cover . Sigh 

thanks for getting it 

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Gemini nailed it!  Can you be my Dr? I asked them directly and they did not answer. They wanted me to go have some surgical procedure my insurance would not cover . Sigh 

thanks for getting it 

?

Ha, Ha!!!!!!  If I wouldn't get in trouble for practicing without a license, I would!  ;)  

I get it because that is what they did to me for years.  I never had acid reflux but had enough other symptoms that all screamed Celiac but no.........they told me that my severe stomach pain might be acid reflux so take this script and go away. They never even tried to figure it out past the 10 minutes allowed for the appointment. I'll never forget one doctor that I pushed back on and told her I was not there for meds but to find out what was actually wrong and she got so mad she left the room and never came back. All they kept doing was trying to shove pills down my throat.  :angry:

I am guessing that the procedure is the one where they tighten the sphincter muscle at the entrance to your stomach? I know so many people who had that done because it's become so common to push that if the meds aren't working well. Follow the money........

If acid reflux becomes that bad, then you have to start looking at food, period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Top Posters +

  • Upcoming Events

    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      0  
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM
      0  
       
       
       
      Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group
       
       
       
      Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.
       
      The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.
       
      The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.
       
      The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      0  
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 
       
Googling around a bit is making me give the side-eye to what, up until now, I've assumed was dyshidrotic eczema…
  • Blog Entries

  • ×
    ×
    • Create New...