Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hey fellow celiacs! Just wondering what cereals everyone eats. I know cereal is not the most nutritious choice but sometimes making eggs gets tiring so just a nice list of gluten free options would be great? 

I eat oatmeal and granola made with certified gluten free oats. I have to be careful of those that are labeled just gluten free or organic oats on the label as I have had adverse reactions. I also eat Rice and Corn Chex.  If I am traveling, I can usually find them in grocery stores even in small towns. Took Chex cereal with me when I had to evacuate for hurricane.

I keep my eggy flat bread in the freezer for quick fixes of eggs normally. But I do sometimes make a porridge out of almond and coconut meal, Konjac flour can be used to thicken stuff into a nice porridge wand works great with almond butter. and I sometimes make a oatmeal knock off using Miracle rice, almond milk, and a bit of coconut flour. -_- I can not eat carbs/grains so my cereals are nut based lol. When out of the house I find MRM meal replacement powder turns into a goopy chocolatey slop of indulgence with a very acquired texture by pouring in hot coffee and topping with a sugar substitute (Flax Meal in it thickens up alot)  >.>

I like Bakery on Mains granolas, the ones that are oat free. They have a fair amount of protein as they have nuts in them.  I also have Cream of Buckwheat if I want a hot cereal or if my tummy is off. It's has a good amount of protein and is really easy to digest.  I definately don't eat the cereals like Cheerios etc that have regular oats that are mechanically sorted. They may be fine but my reactions to even small amounts of CC is too severe to risk it.

I like crunchy cereals, so the "Kind" granola-type ones are my favorite.  I got sick from the supposedly gluten-free Cheerios so have not returned to those.  Chex has been good.  I also make a baked oatmeal/coconut milk/egg/banana/apple muffin kind of thing (no flour).  I make a batch, freeze them, and take them out as I want one.  They're kind of like a bowl of oatmeal & fruit in a solid form.  

To me cereal is like dessert so Envirokidz Gorilla Munch cereal (corn pops equivalent)  would be my goto if I had a hankering for some cereal. Quiche Lorraine makes eggs taste better so find a good recipe online and learn how to make a quiche.

44 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

To me cereal is like dessert so Envirokidz Gorilla Munch cereal (corn pops equivalent)  would be my goto if I had a hankering for some cereal. Quiche Lorraine makes eggs taste better so find a good recipe online and learn how to make a quiche.

Omg I love quiche. 

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-quiche-lorraine/1d20d2e5-e2cd-4b2a-bc83-38bee7736463

i have trail mix for breakfast. Its nutty goodness is high in protein and helps me stay full.

Great advice everyone! So the envirokids gorillla munch by natures path is safe?. As for cinnamon Chex is that ok too? 

I buy the Chex cereals( except wheat). I had recently been buying Puffins from Barbara's bakery but got a very unsatisfactory answer to my question about where they source their oats so I have decided to stop buying them. See below....

"Thank you for your recent email about the oat flour in our Puffins cereal.  We appreciate the time you took to contact our company.

Approximately 90% of our ingredients are sourced from North America. However obviously there are some crops that do not grow here, and items that are not manufactured here. In those cases, we source from other areas, mainly UK, EU and South America. Regardless of where the supplier is located, we have a very robust Supplier Assurance Program that ensures that we purchase only from approved, high quality suppliers. 

We thank you again for your comments and hope you continue to enjoy our products.  If, at any time, we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again."

52 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Great advice everyone! So the envirokids gorillla munch by natures path is safe?. As for cinnamon Chex is that ok too? 

Re. gorilla munch - Made with corn, says gluten free on the box, I don't know why it wouldn't be. It's quite yummy. Corn pops and Post golden crisp used to be my favorites, before celiac.

Started thinking the only cereal I allow in my house is Vans, they have a cinnamon one that is like a captain crunch with cinnamon, and a strawberry O type that I keep in stock for a friend that comes over sometimes and for my cousins littler girls who I end up babysitting sometimes. There was a coconut flake (corn flake knock) off I used to eat, but the company discontued it. There is a stuff called progranola from julians bakery made without grains that looks great but is a bit expensive at $9 a bag.