Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Victoria1234

I'm an idiot. Contaminated food!

Rate this topic

So almost a YEAR ago I started purchasing a trail mix that had a good price and I liked. I checked ingredients back then and it had nothing gluten and no warning. I noticed the label changed a while back but didn't think twice about double checking ingredients. Today I get the idea to look at it, and yup, says it might have trace amounts of things including wheat/ gluten. Well I'm such an idiot. Should always check labels. I ate the dang stuff nearly every day . Kids are finishing up my last package as we speak. I can't believe I did that. You'd think with 9 years experience I'd know better. I feel like a fool and I'm so mad at myself.

Don't beat yourself up about it.  The company may have changed suppliers or it may be put together in a different plant than previously. I hope they didn't CC you but if you have had some mystery glutenings at least you may have discovered the cause.

1 hour ago, Victoria1234 said:

So almost a YEAR ago I started purchasing a trail mix that had a good price and I liked. I checked ingredients back then and it had nothing gluten and no warning. I noticed the label changed a while back but didn't think twice about double checking ingredients. Today I get the idea to look at it, and yup, says it might have trace amounts of things including wheat/ gluten. Well I'm such an idiot. Should always check labels. I ate the dang stuff nearly every day . Kids are finishing up my last package as we speak. I can't believe I did that. You'd think with 9 years experience I'd know better. I feel like a fool and I'm so mad at myself.

I would be willing to bet that nothing changed in that product except the label.  A bunch of companies seemed to have decided that they need to put "May contains allergens " on the everything to be safe.  But I wouldn't buy it any longer.