Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

I'm 8 weeks gluten free, got diagnosed with celiac through the blood test and scope.  I went through the gluten withdrawal which was awful...I felt so tired like when I was pregnant!  I have my energy back, but I'm back to having horrible gas pains every night and being bloated and diarrhea every morning.  Everything just goes straight through me.  I've cut out dairy, stopped eating oats, and I'm taking all the supplements recommended.  But I feel worse then I did before diagnosis!  Is this normal?  Shouldn't I start feeling better by now?  And turning to google only stresses me out thinking I need to change my diet completely, again!  I have three small children, and this is already so overwhelming.  Any suggestions?  

Sounds like gluten might have snuck back into your diet, either a condiment, spice, a contaminated pot, utensil, bowl, or cup. Is your whole house gluten-free? Are you still fixing gluten meals for the kids? Once you go completely gluten free after the first few months many become hyper sensitive to gluten, where as a tiny amount of CC throws it all off the cliff like all hell broke loose in your guts. Double check back over everything. Read the 101, clean out and double check everything, I found freezer paper/butcher paper to make a nice clean work area and clean up a breeze, foil line pans etc. Cheap starts with cookware are to use microwave cook ware from nordicware, crock pot liners, and disposable or new utensils/cookware.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Try keeping a food diary with a list of everything your eating, include every condiment/spice etc. Try to find a common denominator, Rotate your meals using different foods, cuisines, and source that are gluten-free. You might find some other foods that offend your gut, as many of us also find or develop other intolerance in the first few months.

I am sorry that you are sick!  Ennis has offered some great advice.  With small children, they can be glutening you.  I recall member Jebby getting glutened by her kids.  She worked full time as a neonatologist (premie doctor) and her kids would give her slobbery, adorable kisses, etc.  Jebby had the household go gluten free.  That might be something to consider.