• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

This is one of my favorite recipes and I'm wondering if I could just switch out a gluten-free blend for the flour?

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs shortening
Mix these all together
add to mix:
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
mix and pour in 9x13 well greased pan

take 3 cups of diced rhubarb (I used four because that is how I freeze it)
1 cup sugar
2 cups boiling water
mix and pour on top of cake mix - don't stir

put in a 400 degree oven for 25-35 minutes (mine took about 45 minutes
because it seemed really runny - but when I took it out and let it sit
for a bit, it set up - it comes out sort of like a custard)

Not sure if this would need the xanthan gum or not, that part is confusing as it's not really like a bread or cookie, right?

I guess I would try it both ways as suggested in kareng's post. 

http://chapmanslanding.blogspot.com/2013/06/rhubarb-custard-ramekins-gluten-free.html

this recipe suggests bobs red mill flour and says if you don't need gluten-free use wheat flour.

let us know what works!

It sounds lovely. I miss rhubarb crumble, used to be a favourite of mine. I also like rhubarb and custard. Have found a nice dairy free one which I have quite often. I'm now thinking of Roobarb & custard the 70s kids tv show which everyone of a certain age in the UK will know the theme tune too :D

Well, so far no cake. My rhubarb is having problems this year, so I bought some at the grocery store. Big mistake, it tasted terrible. Glad I tasted it before I made the cake! I think rhubarb is about done in our area now. Thinking of trying the recipe with frozen tart cherries and see if that works. Stay tuned. :)

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Doodlepunk said:

Well, so far no cake. My rhubarb is having problems this year, so I bought some at the grocery store. Big mistake, it tasted terrible. Glad I tasted it before I made the cake! I think rhubarb is about done in our area now. Thinking of trying the recipe with frozen tart cherries and see if that works. Stay tuned. :)

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Doodlepunk said:

Have you tried frozen rhubarb?  It can be hard to find, but it is sold.  My mom used to freeze rhubarb and make pie with it later

My dad is a keen gardener and rhubarb always seems like one of the tricker ones to get right.

Plus the leaves are poisonous which shocked me when I first discovered it. :o

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• June 19, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.

• July 08, 2019 Until July 09, 2019
      14th Euro-Global Gastroenterology Conference happening in Zürich, Switzerland during July 08-09, 2019. We are expecting more than 300 attendees representing from more than 40 countries who would be sharing their experiences and expertise around the world Theme: “Future Perspectives and shaping trends in Gastroenterology”
      You may learn more about our congress by visiting our website: https://europegastroenterology.gastroconferences.com/
      Tracks
      Microbiota and diseases|Acid Related Diseases|Helicobacter Pylori Treatment|Therapeutics targeting Microbioma|Advanced Nutrition and Dietetics in Gastroenterology|Inflammatory Bowel Diseases|Clinical Advances in Liver Diseases|Gastrointestinal Disorders and Drug Delivery|Obesity and Treatments|Gastrointestinal Pathology|Neuro Gastroenterology and Motility disorders|Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition|Gallbladder and biliary tract Diseases|Latest advances in Gastroenterology treatments|Endoscopic Innovations in Gastroenterology and surgery|Clinical and Radiographic Gastrointestinal Abnormalities|Functional GI Disorders|Changing Trends in Etiology of Liver diseases|Epigenetics of gastrointestinal diseases|Bariatric Surgery|Gastrointestinal Radiology and Imaging|Developing treatment for Viral Hepatitis and Fibrosis of Liver|Emerging Trends in Clinical Research of Liver diseases|Hepatitis B treatment Patterns|Therapies in Pancreatic cancer|Diabetes and hepatocellular carcinoma|Intestinal Metaproteomics and Type 1 Diabetes
      Conference Benefits
      ·         CME Credits  
      ·         CPD Credits
      ·         Research publication in proceeding book
      ·         Abstract publication in associated online journal
      ·         DOI by Cross-Ref
      ·         Online speaker webpage
      ·         Workshops and Symposium
      ·         Certificate for participation and attendance
      ·         Young Researchers Forum and Posters Award for Students
      ·         B2b and Networking meetings

Program Director
      Sophia Williams
      Gastroenterology 2019 | Zürich | Switzerland
      conferenceseries.com https://europegastroenterology.gastroconferences.com/
      E-mail: williams.sophiaa@yandex.com
      Whatsapp us : +442382146717