Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×

Rate this topic

This is one of my favorite recipes and I'm wondering if I could just switch out a gluten-free blend for the flour?

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs shortening
Mix these all together
add to mix:
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
mix and pour in 9x13 well greased pan

take 3 cups of diced rhubarb (I used four because that is how I freeze it)
1 cup sugar
2 cups boiling water
mix and pour on top of cake mix - don't stir

put in a 400 degree oven for 25-35 minutes (mine took about 45 minutes
because it seemed really runny - but when I took it out and let it sit
for a bit, it set up - it comes out sort of like a custard)
  • Upvote 1

You could certainly try.  Just remember that, if the mix doesn't have xanthum gum, you may need a little.  

Not sure if this would need the xanthan gum or not, that part is confusing as it's not really like a bread or cookie, right?

I guess I would try it both ways as suggested in kareng's post. 

http://chapmanslanding.blogspot.com/2013/06/rhubarb-custard-ramekins-gluten-free.html

this recipe suggests bobs red mill flour and says if you don't need gluten-free use wheat flour.

let us know what works!

It sounds lovely. I miss rhubarb crumble, used to be a favourite of mine. I also like rhubarb and custard. Have found a nice dairy free one which I have quite often. I'm now thinking of Roobarb & custard the 70s kids tv show which everyone of a certain age in the UK will know the theme tune too :D

Well, so far no cake. My rhubarb is having problems this year, so I bought some at the grocery store. Big mistake, it tasted terrible. Glad I tasted it before I made the cake! I think rhubarb is about done in our area now. Thinking of trying the recipe with frozen tart cherries and see if that works. Stay tuned. :)

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Doodlepunk said:

Well, so far no cake. My rhubarb is having problems this year, so I bought some at the grocery store. Big mistake, it tasted terrible. Glad I tasted it before I made the cake! I think rhubarb is about done in our area now. Thinking of trying the recipe with frozen tart cherries and see if that works. Stay tuned. :)

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Doodlepunk said:

Have you tried frozen rhubarb?  It can be hard to find, but it is sold.  My mom used to freeze rhubarb and make pie with it later

My dad is a keen gardener and rhubarb always seems like one of the tricker ones to get right.

Plus the leaves are poisonous which shocked me when I first discovered it. :o