Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up
4 4
CeliacMamma

Nonfat Milk Powder

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know of any non fat dry milk powder that is certified gluten free?  Organic Valley used to make one but they stopped.  America's Test Kitchen cook books have this as an ingredient in their main flour mixture, and recommend the use of Organic Valley for the product to buy.  When I asked them for a replacement they said they can only recommend a nationally available brand, which doesn't help since the only brand they recommend isn't sold anymore. 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I just used Carnation.  Its just milk with vitamins.  It may even say gluten-free on it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walmart brand great value is what we use.

Ingredients:

Ingredients: Nonfat Dry Milk, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always just sub regular milk for the powdered and liquid.  Powdered milk is nice if you are using a bread maker and setting up the night before or storing a dry mix to save time.

 It is nice to have powdered milk on hand for earthquakes.  I had to drink it as a kid.  It was cheap and when money was tight or we were snowed in, my Mom had it in her pantry.  I recall her  crawling, yes crawling, to the corner store for fresh milk after an ice storm in Chicago while my brother and I were made to stand in the parlor window so that she could see us.  After that, she always kept powdered milk in the house.  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kareng said:

I think I just used Carnation.  Its just milk with vitamins.  It may even say gluten-free on it?

 

Carnation is "Instant" and they specifically say not to use Instant.  (It is marked Gluten free and would be great if "Instant" was ok)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

Walmart brand great value is what we use.

Ingredients:

Ingredients: Nonfat Dry Milk, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3

The Walmart brand Great Value says that it may contain trace amounts of wheat on it's labeling, thus ruling it out for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CeliacMamma said:

Carnation is "Instant" and they specifically say not to use Instant.  (It is marked Gluten free and would be great if "Instant" was ok)

We use the ATK cookbook and use the Carnation brand of instant  milk for the flour mixes...always have great results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gemini said:

We use the ATK cookbook and use the Carnation brand of instant  milk for the flour mixes...always have great results.

Me too.  It is just powdered milk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get it.  Isn't all powdered milk "instant"  vs. fresh or canned?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gemini said:

We use the ATK cookbook and use the Carnation brand of instant  milk for the flour mixes...always have great results.

That is good to know.  I will try it.  When I asked ATK they said not to do it, but then again they haven't given me any alternatives either.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gemini said:

We use the ATK cookbook and use the Carnation brand of instant  milk for the flour mixes...always have great results.

Ditto for me!!!! In fact, I'm looking at my ATK Cookbook Vol. 1, pg. 13 right now. In the top right column there it is titled "Using milk powder" and it doesn't say a word about not using anything called "instant" milk powder. I think you must have gotten some newbie at ATK who didn't know what they were talking about. I've never in my life seen a milk powder that wasn't instant. All of them, you just add water & stir to make milk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CeliacMamma said:

The Walmart brand Great Value says that it may contain trace amounts of wheat on it's labeling, thus ruling it out for us.

Interesting. We don't have any at the moment and don't use it very much except for the bread my husband occasionally makes (gluten bread that I don't eat anyways.) I'll check out the package itself next time we buy it. Why would they put gluten in milk I wonder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Interesting. We don't have any at the moment and don't use it very much except for the bread my husband occasionally makes (gluten bread that I don't eat anyways.) I'll check out the package itself next time we buy it. Why would they put gluten in milk I wonder?

In some brands they use barley malt in it, malted milk is very common in powdered form and used in some recipes. -_- I found powdered coconut milk recently and found it works good in some interesting ways in cooking. Very handy if you only need a few tbsp of the full fat stuff and not a whole can, you just adjust up the liquids proportionately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

In some brands they use barley malt in it, malted milk is very common in powdered form and used in some recipes. -_- I found powdered coconut milk recently and found it works good in some interesting ways in cooking. Very handy if you only need a few tbsp of the full fat stuff and not a whole can, you just adjust up the liquids proportionately.

Butthat is not the product they are talking about.  Malted milk is called " malted Milk".  It isn't trying to disguise itself as regular powdered milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kareng said:

Butthat is not the product they are talking about.  Malted milk is called " malted Milk".  It isn't trying to disguise itself as regular powdered milk.

First off your typo was misread as "ButtHat"....second I should have elaborated on what I was saying and where I was going with that thought. If the company makes both malted milk, as in milk with barley malt, and instant plain powdered milk in the same facility could it be called gluten free? What if they use the same production or packaging lines on rotation?  I think this is where the scare might be. NOW there are companies that do just plain powdered milk I am sure. And I am sure the ones they do use a shared facility like I mentioned would say so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

First off your typo was misread as "ButtHat"....second I should have elaborated on what I was saying and where I was going with that thought. If the company makes both malted milk, as in milk with barley malt, and instant plain powdered milk in the same facility could it be called gluten free? What if they use the same production or packaging lines on rotation?  I think this is where the scare might be. NOW there are companies that do just plain powdered milk I am sure. And I am sure the ones they do use a shared facility like I mentioned would say so.

It is " but that" and I missed the space.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4

×