This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reluctant newbie

Peaceful35

Peaceful35 Newbie

Hello everyone. I am new to this crazy world of gluten allergies. And for the longest time I was in denial... Not anymore! I'm really struggling w depression and anxiety due to my new diet. I'm having such a hard time finding foods I enjoy and that my son will eat w me! (I'm a newly single mom also..) any ideas or pointers you all could send my way would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
51 minutes ago, Peaceful35 said:

Hello everyone. I am new to this crazy world of gluten allergies. And for the longest time I was in denial... Not anymore! I'm really struggling w depression and anxiety due to my new diet. I'm having such a hard time finding foods I enjoy and that my son will eat w me! (I'm a newly single mom also..) any ideas or pointers you all could send my way would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome.  I recommend reading the Newbie 101 thread located under the "Coping section".  Focus on Whole Foods that are naturally gluten free (meat, fish, veggies, fruit, nuts, rice, etc.).  My kid does not have to eat gluten free, but she enjoys the gluten-free diet.  She gets gluten-filled treats away from home (e.g. School).  I am sure you will both adjust soon.  It just takes time.  

pschwab Enthusiast

Costco has gluten free chicken nuggets that my kids adore. Costco has sabatasso frozen pizza that my kids like too. There are many snacks that are kid friendly and gluten free. If there is a Woodmans near you, they have tons of gluten free foods. My boys love Glutino White sandwich bread. Krusteaz pancake mix is kid friendly. My kids didn't like any of the mac and cheese brands. We ended up using barilla gluten free noodles with the cheese from Annie's gluten free Mac and cheese. I hate throwing out the rice noodles that come with the box, but they hated them and we don't eat them very often. Like stated earlier you might want to avoid a lot of processed food while new to the diet to give your body time to heal, but at least you can have stuff for your kiddo that might look more familiar to supplement meals of fresh, natural ingredients. 

tessa25 Rising Star

So here's what I found out regarding food:
Note: insert the words "gluten free" in every item mentioned as some of the companies also sell non gluten free stuff. It's tedious to write that phrase all the time.

Get a chest freezer to store all of your frozen gluten-free foods. Makes things easier.

Bread: Canyon bakehouse without question is the most realistic tasting bread.
  Schar comes in a close second.
    Canyon bakehouse plain bagels are practically indistinguishable from regular bagels.
    Canyon bakehouse white bread makes fantastic toast. It has a very slight
                 sweet taste to it. My friend says it tastes like normal bread. The
                 only difference to me is the sweetness.
    Canyon bakehouse deli rye is great if you like rye bread sandwiches. Toasted is best.
    Canyon bakehouse multigrain tastes exactly like multigrain bread and does not need
                 to be toasted.
    Schar baguettes are fantastic.
    Katz makes an English muffin that, after toasted, reminds me of a real one provided
                 it has stuff on it like butter. I think that's the brand.
    Etalia has a good boule (sp?) if you prefer artisan bread and are in Colorado

Pizza crust:
    Shar makes a good thick and chewy crust.
    Udis makes a good thin and crispy crust.
    Etalia makes a great New York crust.

Pasta:
    Barilla makes great pasta. Just like their normal pasta. Spaghetti and Fettucini cook the best.
    RP has a frozen pasta that I'm going to try next.

Flour:
    Pamelas all-purpose flour is great for making gravy and batter for fried foods.

Cereal:
    Envirokidz Gorilla Munch cereal is an equivalent to Corn Pops.

Cookies:
    Glutino and Kinnikinnik make a decent Oreo equivalent.
    Mi Del makes a great ginger snap.
    Goodie Girl mint slims - fantastic girl scout mint cookie equivalent

Cake:
    Betty Crocker chocolate cake tastes the same, but you have to get the time
                exactly right. It is a very small window of time. Too long and it's too dry.

Chips:

Fritos, Tostitos scoops, Doritos, Lays potato chips are all gluten free.

Frozen meals:
    Udi's Chicken Florentine is addictive and Broccoli Kale lasagna is a good white lasagna.

Restaurants (not from personal experience, just from research)
    Chinese – PF Changs. Employees are supposedly trained in gluten free.
    Burgers – In N Out. The only thing here that is not gluten free are the
                buns so it is very easy for them to do gluten free. They are
                also trained in it. They are only out west. Road Trip!
    Outback steakhouse. Employees are supposedly trained in gluten free. How
                good they are depends on where you live.

If you are willing to cook from scratch it's fairly easy to make a good gluten free equivalent to your favorite foods.

TexasJen Collaborator

Wow! It sounds like you are going through a lot right now.  Most of our dinners at home are gluten free and my kids eat the food just fine. It does take a bit more planning and you have to make more things from scratch. 

Our favorite dinners are tacos (serve on corn tortillas), red beans and rice, fajitas, grilled meat (BBQ chicken, fish, steaks, shrimp). 

My crock pot is a life saver because I can leave it cooking al day and come home to a hot meal. Also, check out an instapot. I might make cooking a lot easier.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Supplementation with Natural Vitality Stress & Energy, will help a lot it is a sublingual B-vitamin pretty much. I use it with the Neurological support from the same company and Natural Vitality Calm Magnesium. These along with a diet in foods that help with mood like snacking on cocoa nibs, hemp seeds, etc. Takes the edge off of everything and I do not worry but just roll with life. Here are some helpful links

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

A set of microwave cookware from nordicware will make the transition and cooking some foods super simple and cheap, steam trays, rice cooker, grill plates, omelette makes etc, also great for trips. Butcher paper/Freezer paper can make a nice safe cook and eating surface and makes clean up a breeze. Crockpot meals with a crockpot liner makes really easy soups, risotto, stews, pot roast, etc and the liner can make cleanup super simple just pull it out and toss it.    Eggs dishes like omelettes using the microwave cooker, scrambled egg dishes, are super simple and one of my go to meals I also so simple stir fry meals a lot. Saute in order of harder and seasoning veggies and meats first and finish off with a sauce/deglazing mix 10-20min meal. I have posted recipes for meals in the recipes sections. MY flat bread recipe seems to bit hit recently being cheap easy and very versatile in how you can make it.

Archived