Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
lilo

Toothbrush made from wheat straw

Rate this topic

Just learned that some of the toothbrushes are made from wheat straw... They usually have a different color but i cant be sure :( Are the ones sold by brands like colgate only made from plastic derivatives? I know it may sound stupid but i get paranoid...  (And the toothbrush brand  i've been using since i started gluten-free diet is not sold everywhere )

None of the name brad ones do to my knowledge, sounds like a daft idea in the first place. I mean wheat straw? That is going to get moldy and rot from getting wet, just a bad idea. Now there is a type of resin made from a processed form of wheat, but they normally do so in a way you would not have to worry about the proteins. NOW there is a additive in MOST toothpaste that many of us react to, it is a non gluten ingredient but can act as a irrient and even cause neurological symptoms in some think it was called sodium lauryl sulfate.

PS Colgate is pretty much gluten-free with everything they produce.

6 hours ago, lilo said:

Just learned that some of the toothbrushes are made from wheat straw... They usually have a different color but i cant be sure :( Are the ones sold by brands like colgate only made from plastic derivatives? I know it may sound stupid but i get paranoid...  (And the toothbrush brand  i've been using since i started gluten-free diet is not sold everywhere )

That's a new one! :lol:  I haven't heard of that.  If that was a big concern, I think we would have some warnings from the Celiac Societies.

As you go a along, you will find that there are people on the internet that like to cause trouble, are gullible and believe everything they read (no matter the source) or make stuff up to sell something.  Try to look for reliable sources.

30 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Here it is..... certainly not your drug store toothbrush.

https://www.amazon.com/PURITY-BRUSH-Toothbrush-Charcoal-Sparkling/dp/B06XJ7PN96?th=1

Jesus that is scary, bloody freaks out there making every day products out of stuff I have health issues with cause it is "Biodegradable".......reminds me of the time the local health food store thought corn starch plastic bio degradable bags were a good idea......not so much after my breakout, skin turned red looked like really bad poison ivy.etc,.....long story short the pulled them and  went back to plastic.

1 hour ago, Victoria1234 said:

Here it is..... certainly not your drug store toothbrush.

https://www.amazon.com/PURITY-BRUSH-Toothbrush-Charcoal-Sparkling/dp/B06XJ7PN96?th=1

Sounds like they are made of stalks and starch - so likely gluten-free if you ate some.  But this is not the toothbrushes sold Walmart! $11 for something you are supposed to throw away every month or two!

Crazy! But just to make you feel better, the bristles are made from Bamboo Charcoal. So you more than likely couldn't get glutened using it......

thanks everyone . By the way does anyone use humble brush ? 

15 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Jesus that is scary, bloody freaks out there making every day products out of stuff I have health issues with cause it is "Biodegradable".......reminds me of the time the local health food store thought corn starch plastic bio degradable bags were a good idea......not so much after my breakout, skin turned red looked like really bad poison ivy.etc,.....long story short the pulled them and  went back to plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Superelead-Multicolor-Biodegradable-Unbreakable-Tumblers/dp/B01HYTW6E2/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1501647898&sr=1-2&keywords=wheat+straw

https://www.amazon.com/UPSTYLE-3-Piece-Chopsticks-Students-Tableware/dp/B01LZ08UBR/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1501647898&sr=1-5&keywords=wheat+straw

Then there are chopsticks and tumblers and plates..