Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

lilo

Toothbrush made from wheat straw

Rate this topic

Just learned that some of the toothbrushes are made from wheat straw... They usually have a different color but i cant be sure :( Are the ones sold by brands like colgate only made from plastic derivatives? I know it may sound stupid but i get paranoid...  (And the toothbrush brand  i've been using since i started gluten-free diet is not sold everywhere )

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

None of the name brad ones do to my knowledge, sounds like a daft idea in the first place. I mean wheat straw? That is going to get moldy and rot from getting wet, just a bad idea. Now there is a type of resin made from a processed form of wheat, but they normally do so in a way you would not have to worry about the proteins. NOW there is a additive in MOST toothpaste that many of us react to, it is a non gluten ingredient but can act as a irrient and even cause neurological symptoms in some think it was called sodium lauryl sulfate.

PS Colgate is pretty much gluten-free with everything they produce.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

6 hours ago, lilo said:

Just learned that some of the toothbrushes are made from wheat straw... They usually have a different color but i cant be sure :( Are the ones sold by brands like colgate only made from plastic derivatives? I know it may sound stupid but i get paranoid...  (And the toothbrush brand  i've been using since i started gluten-free diet is not sold everywhere )

That's a new one! :lol:  I haven't heard of that.  If that was a big concern, I think we would have some warnings from the Celiac Societies.

As you go a along, you will find that there are people on the internet that like to cause trouble, are gullible and believe everything they read (no matter the source) or make stuff up to sell something.  Try to look for reliable sources.

Join eNewsletter

30 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Here it is..... certainly not your drug store toothbrush.

https://www.amazon.com/PURITY-BRUSH-Toothbrush-Charcoal-Sparkling/dp/B06XJ7PN96?th=1

Jesus that is scary, bloody freaks out there making every day products out of stuff I have health issues with cause it is "Biodegradable".......reminds me of the time the local health food store thought corn starch plastic bio degradable bags were a good idea......not so much after my breakout, skin turned red looked like really bad poison ivy.etc,.....long story short the pulled them and  went back to plastic.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, Victoria1234 said:

Here it is..... certainly not your drug store toothbrush.

https://www.amazon.com/PURITY-BRUSH-Toothbrush-Charcoal-Sparkling/dp/B06XJ7PN96?th=1

Sounds like they are made of stalks and starch - so likely gluten-free if you ate some.  But this is not the toothbrushes sold Walmart! $11 for something you are supposed to throw away every month or two!

Join eNewsletter

15 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Jesus that is scary, bloody freaks out there making every day products out of stuff I have health issues with cause it is "Biodegradable".......reminds me of the time the local health food store thought corn starch plastic bio degradable bags were a good idea......not so much after my breakout, skin turned red looked like really bad poison ivy.etc,.....long story short the pulled them and  went back to plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Superelead-Multicolor-Biodegradable-Unbreakable-Tumblers/dp/B01HYTW6E2/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1501647898&sr=1-2&keywords=wheat+straw

https://www.amazon.com/UPSTYLE-3-Piece-Chopsticks-Students-Tableware/dp/B01LZ08UBR/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1501647898&sr=1-5&keywords=wheat+straw

Then there are chopsticks and tumblers and plates.. 

Join eNewsletter