Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Four  years ago my arsenic levels were 10. My doctor was shocked and I was chelated with modified citrus pectin to.49. The proper level is 0. The FDA just raised acceptable levels to 3o. My husband has been an emergency room physician for 31 years. He and his colleagues are horrified. We have the best  FDA money can buy. Get your level checked, please. Donna

5 hours ago, Donna N said:

Four  years ago my arsenic levels were 10. My doctor was shocked and I was chelated with modified citrus pectin to.49. The proper level is 0. The FDA just raised acceptable levels to 3o. My husband has been an emergency room physician for 31 years. He and his colleagues are horrified. We have the best  FDA money can buy. Get your level checked, please. Donna

Arsenic poisoning is not common.  I understand that water and some foods are suspected of being potential problems for many people.  For celiacs, it is typically rice as it becomes a "go to" grain that is free from gluten.   Arsenic is found in soils and water sources.  Some areas of the country have higher levels.  

What caused your levels to increase?  Do you know the source?  

I do not understand your comment, "We have the best FDA money can buy."?  

Edited by cyclinglady

17 hours ago, Donna N said:

I'm super confused....? Is this really an issue?

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~arsenicandyou/health/gluten-free.html

"We estimate that with the higher concentrations of inorganic arsenic in white and brown rice and rice-based ingredients, people who eat a lot of rice - such as in many gluten-free diets - have an increased risk of inorganic arsenic exposure. Studies haven't yet confirmed this, and the amount of increased arsenic exposure is not known. However, people on a gluten-free diet who are concerned about arsenic exposure should eat a varied, nutritious diet and stay informed about arsenic in food." Dr. Tracy Punshon, Dartmouth College

Yes, there is an issue with arsenic as reported by Consumer Reports and other agencies.  For example,  rice cereal is often one of the first cereals an infant consumes.   It can affect the celiac and NCGI  community as it is a common substitute for wheat in a gluten free diet.  Moderation is probably key and obtaining rice containing less arsenic would be best.  

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm

The Gluten Free Watchdog has tested several rice-based gluten-free products too.  

It looks like the FDA is addressing the issue:

https://www.fda.gov/food/foodscienceresearch/risksafetyassessment/ucm485278.htm

Do a search within the forum for tips (I buy California-grown rice).  

16 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Yes, there is an issue with arsenic as reported by Consumer Reports and other agencies.  For example,  rice cereal is often one of the first cereals an infant consumes.   It can affect the celiac and NCGI  community as it is a common substitute for wheat in a gluten free diet.  Moderation is probably key and obtaining rice containing less arsenic would be best.  

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm

The Gluten Free Watchdog has tested several rice-based gluten-free products too.  

It looks like the FDA is addressing the issue:

https://www.fda.gov/food/foodscienceresearch/risksafetyassessment/ucm485278.htm

Do a search within the forum for tips (I buy California-grown rice).  

Thanks. We eat very little rice and now I know to cook it even less.

I am rice light. Reserving  it for my gluten-free bread or occasional stir fry. My body is very specific about rice. My joints and muscles say nope not that brand. I can only have the one my body 's Inflammatory process deems ok. My husband and I are not certain of  My reaction arsenic, fortification,or geographic location. We quickly determined no fortified rice for me and my body quickly picked one particular brand of rice and one particular brand rice noodle. 

I've had the same small bag of rice for 7 months for I only consume 2 tbsp with my stir fry.