Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
jdfran

I got diagnosed celiac disease... 13 years late

Rate this topic

I got diagnosed celiac disease recently, I was having diarrhea every time I ate gluten products. I also had abdominal pain which gets better after going to toilet.

It looks like celiac disease is the reason I stopped growing at age 15. I'm just 5'5, very short stature for a male. When I was 12 I was among the tallest of my classroom and when I was 17 I was the shortest. 

I didn't have any symptom at that time.

My grandmother said that some kids are "early growers" and others are "late growers", and I was an early grower.

So we just decided to believe her and do nothing about it. 

Height is something that affected me a lot in my life, I'm actually considering do leg-lengthening, but I would like to know first if it is possible to grow at age 28 if I take a gluten free diet and let my body heal...

I know the answer, but I guess the hope is last thing one loses... 

Edited by jdfran

Yeah 28 is a bit late, I think my last growing spurt was in my early 20s and I grew a bit over a inch. Though 5'5" is not bad, I have a few male friends even shorter then that, depending on your ethnic BG and genes that is even on the tall side for some. I feel you on the bit late, I wish I had a time machine and  could inform myself much earlier, I had minor signs all of my life just tale tale signs, as I got older the signs progressed with a chronic constipation and vomiting after every few meals, no energy, always sleeping, fat, got worse and worse then in my early 20s I did something stupid and gave my immune system a shock and my symptoms changed....I started getting VERY bad neurological side effects, that kept progressing causing mental degradation, nerve damage, etc. got a gluten ataxia issues on top of the gut issues. And I started dropping weight like crazy, thought I was diying running a bucket list etc......yeah long story. 

But yeah feels it was too late, all the other complications that developed with other immune diseases, intolerance to other foods, allergies, brain and nerve damage. Just wish I had found out earlier and put a stop to it before it cascaded out of control and perhaps I would be a bit more normal. But I am on my way to improvement now regardless on a bit longer road to recovery but getting there,

Welcome to the forums, we have many people here you can relate to, talk to, ask about products, recipes, ways of coping etc. Like a little family here to help and support you. I will share with you the newbie 101 section, and some links to find foods. We normally suggest a whole foods only diet first few months, removing dairy and oats which you can reintroduce later (enzymes to break down dairy are produced by the tips of the villi in your intestines which are normally damaged or destroyed, oats have issues with CC constantly and some celiacs have issues with them even gluten-free so we suggest avoiding them for a few months til healing and on track).

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

• Like 3

I am posting out of the blue and haven't been active on these forums in years, but I saw this post and I wanted to comment. I was diagnosed 4 years ago at 25. I have grown almost an inch and a half since my diagnosis so it is possible even if unlikely. I wouldn't expect miracles, but men do grow later than girls so you may see some change. I am sorry that your height has caused you so much distress. I hope that when you feel better and more confident in yourself that you can be more comfortable in your skin regardless of the height!