Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Bobby11997744

New to gluten-free and having bad affects HELP

Rate this topic

Thanks for any info in advance. So I've been gluten-free for 10 days now. First week went well. No issues at all. Had a roll to see what happened and it was awful. I came up all itchy with brain fog. I as tongue tied and felt confused. That passed.had some walkers chips and had a milder but similar affect then Had some kettle chips(gluten-free)  today and I feel the same again. Seems eating anything is making me itchy today. 

I started the diet just out of interest. I had no real symptoms before. I'm really shocked how I've been feeling in the last few days. I'm pretty down about it all. 

Many advice will be amazing. 

1 hour ago, Bobby11997744 said:

Thanks for any info in advance. So I've been gluten-free for 10 days now. First week went well. No issues at all. Had a roll to see what happened and it was awful. I came up all itchy with brain fog. I as tongue tied and felt confused. That passed.had some walkers chips and had a milder but similar affect then Had some kettle chips(gluten-free)  today and I feel the same again. Seems eating anything is making me itchy today. 

I started the diet just out of interest. I had no real symptoms before. I'm really shocked how I've been feeling in the last few days. I'm pretty down about it all. 

First off you should probably get back on gluten and try to get tested for celiac disease, once off it is a nightmare having to go back on it later. Any doctor can order the blood test, and there is a follow up endoscope and biopsy to confirm it. You do not have to each much just a half slice of a bread a day.

Few things about this diet, 1. If medical, it is not just about cutting the foods, if you have celiac or NCGS you have to remove even residue, crumbs, anything that even touches gluten containing items can lead to cross contamination making us sick. There is a entire clean out phase where you have to clean out you whole kitchen throwing away sources of contamination. IF you did not do this your probably still eating it in trace amounts.

2. After 1-3 weeks of gluten removal, many hit a withdrawal state, like a drug addiction withdrawal you body will go bonkers.

3. Many find after removing gluten that other food intolerance, allergies, etc. become much more obvious and start to come out more as the body is no longer always focusing fighting gluten a food elimination diet after a while is normally used to find these and remove them from the diet. Some of these will go away after some healing others stick around for years if not life time.

4. On the gluten free diet, we suggest avoiding processed foods, dairy, and oats for the first few months to boost healing and avoid some things that complicate matters (can cover later) Also on the gluten free diet many foods you used to eat were fortified, did you know that most grains, cereals, and processed foods are essentially sprayed with multivitamins? Remove these and changing to real foods without a good variety and you will find deficiency issues cropping up top this with the fact many celiacs have damaged intestines and issues absorbing nutrients can lead to other issues and require supplementation.

Check the newbie 101 section

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

2 hours ago, Bobby11997744 said:

If you are doing the gluten-free diet for fun.... it doesn't sound like you are having fun....so stop.  

If you aren't serious about it, go back to eating gluten and get tested for Celiac first.  Going on and off of gluten for just 10 days is not a gluten-free diet.  You won't see any valid results like that.