Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Victoria1234

Hookworm treatment for celiac... who's in?

Rate this topic

I tell you, if they proved this really did work and it was studied for years and was widely available, I might be up for this. They say that the worms work for all sorts of allergies and things like ulcerative colitis. 

I heard on NPR years ago about a guy who sells the worm eggs. He had bad asthma, and traveled to a country in Africa and walked around the out house areas with bare feet to pick up worms. His asthma went away and now he strains his poop and harvests the eggs! And sells them! Now I was not compelled to order his eggs, but just re,emebered this story and thought I'd share it with you all the article I found about worms and celiac.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3174943/

Cheap version of the enzyme pills lol, would lessen symptoms  but I see SOO many other issues with these. First being many of us with this disease have nutrient absorption issues...now imagine having to share with these guys....I feel more anemic just thinking about it. Other thoughts  you would still have antibodies come up., and those of us that are effected by more then just gut damage still not worth it, neurological effects of gluten etc.

NOW I do see the antiinflammatory options here for UC treatment and they talk about it lessening allergic reactions....what about histamine responses and mast cell patients? Wonder if it would have more proper and fulfilling applications there instead of celiac.

I will say DID consider it early on when desperate.  Now that I have the diet and and life is more stable......naw.

6 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Cheap version of the enzyme pills lol, would lessen symptoms  but I see SOO many other issues with these. First being many of us with this disease have nutrient absorption issues...now imagine having to share with these guys....I feel more anemic just thinking about it. Other thoughts  you would still have antibodies come up., and those of us that are effected by more then just gut damage still not worth it, neurological effects of gluten etc.

NOW I do see the antiinflammatory options here for UC treatment and they talk about it lessening allergic reactions....what about histamine responses and mast cell patients? Wonder if it would have more proper and fulfilling applications there instead of celiac.

I will say DID consider it early on when desperate.  Now that I have the diet and and life is more stable......naw.

Share with these guys 

sooooooooo funny! And good point.