Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
JoyVale

Gluten free but I can eat pizza - until yesterday

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! I'm so happy to have found this board. I've read so much and gained so much insight, thank you all so much for this forum. 

About 3 years ago I was sick every day for a year. Out of the blue. No one could figure out what was causing my relentless, debilitating nausea, dizziness and pain inside. I was at the end of my rope in every way. Doctors said reflux, take nexium, didn't help. That's as far as I got medically. 

I went on a low carb diet to lose weight and soon noticed my symptoms went away. Stunned, I flew into obsessive research and learned about fodmaps and gluten. As I weaned off the low carb diet and went back to my regular foods, the nausea came back. Lightbulb! Stop eating gluten. 

After going through the 5 stages of grief I slowly and painfully went through the elimination process with pretty good success. Now two years later, I have a good strong list of safe foods and where to eat out, etc. Feeling great and all that stuff. 

But, I can eat pizza. Yes. Any pizza from any pizza place. In fact I eat pizza almost every day for lunch with no problems. My first question is, how is that possible? Everyone I know is baffled by it.

I read somewhere that fresh bakery bread might be tolerated by gluten-free, and I thought maybe the low rise of pizza crust might have something to do with it. Maybe yeast? 

Except for freschetta gluten free pizza. I ate one 3 days ago and I'm still hurting and nauseous. I don't get physically ill, I just suffer with intense bloating, dizziness, and a nauseated feeling. From a gluten-free pizza??? How is that possible? I eat at pizza hut or my local pizza place ALL THE TIME, why did this gluten-free pizza make me sick? 

Thank you for reading this and I sincerely look forward to your replies. 

Edited by JoyVale

6 minutes ago, JoyVale said:

As I weaned off the low carb diet and went back to my regular foods, the nausea came back. Lightbulb! Stop eating gluten. 

There's more than gluten that you added to your diet when you went off of low carb. Your issue could be something other than gluten.

Why not get tested for celiac disease and at least help rule it out since you are consuming gluten almost daily?  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

When I was diagnosed, anemia was my only health issue at the time.  I had no GI issues.    You can not go by symptoms alone when diagnosing celiac disease.  

2 hours ago, JoyVale said:

Hello everyone! I'm so happy to have found this board. I've read so much and gained so much insight, thank you all so much for this forum. 

About 3 years ago I was sick every day for a year. Out of the blue. No one could figure out what was causing my relentless, debilitating nausea, dizziness and pain inside. I was at the end of my rope in every way. Doctors said reflux, take nexium, didn't help. That's as far as I got medically. 

I went on a low carb diet to lose weight and soon noticed my symptoms went away. Stunned, I flew into obsessive research and learned about fodmaps and gluten. As I weaned off the low carb diet and went back to my regular foods, the nausea came back. Lightbulb! Stop eating gluten. 

After going through the 5 stages of grief I slowly and painfully went through the elimination process with pretty good success. Now two years later, I have a good strong list of safe foods and where to eat out, etc. Feeling great and all that stuff. 

But, I can eat pizza. Yes. Any pizza from any pizza place. In fact I eat pizza almost every day for lunch with no problems. My first question is, how is that possible? Everyone I know is baffled by it.

I read somewhere that fresh bakery bread might be tolerated by gluten-free, and I thought maybe the low rise of pizza crust might have something to do with it. Maybe yeast? 

Except for freschetta gluten free pizza. I ate one 3 days ago and I'm still hurting and nauseous. I don't get physically ill, I just suffer with intense bloating, dizziness, and a nauseated feeling. From a gluten-free pizza??? How is that possible? I eat at pizza hut or my local pizza place ALL THE TIME, why did this gluten-free pizza make me sick? 

Thank you for reading this and I sincerely look forward to your replies. 

First off you should get tested and screened for celiac, other thoughts and issues your reacting to starches and carbs in other foods with pain. THIS makes me think issues might be Ulcerative Colitis, SIBO, or a Candida overgrowth. A normal pizza is much less starchy and more of a heavier gummy protein base, funny enough many use a HIGH GLUTEN flour so slower digestion tougher carbs. 

From here I am going to tell you some gluten free Pizza that is LOW CARB that you can probably stomach.

https://www.califlourfoods.com/collections/cauliflower-products

https://realgoodfoods.com/productpage/

Also do some research into the Ketogenic, and Paleo diets BUT FIRST go get tested for celiac before removing gluten completely from your diet.

The reason you reacted to the other gluten-free pizza I think is that MOST gluten-free pizza and breads are almost pure starch and carbs if you have any of the other gut issues I mentioned this would cause a flare of up pain and misery.