Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Alanamari

Gluten Free Cream Cheese

Rate this topic

Phillidelphia cream cheese ingredients include whey.  How can it be considered gluten free if it has whey in it?  I have been told Whey, Barley, malt all contain wheat?

4 minutes ago, Alanamari said:

Phillidelphia cream cheese ingredients include whey.  How can it be considered gluten free if it has whey in it?  I have been told Whey, Barley, malt all contain wheat?

Wheat, Barley, Barley malt and rye contain gluten.  Whey is milk.  It is gluten free.  

You need to get some reliable info about Celiac.  See the Newbie thread for a starting point.

Edited by kareng
adding link

26 minutes ago, Alanamari said:

If dairy is giving you issues Kite Hill makes a dairy and gluten free version...there is also Dairy and Gluten free cream cheese extract from Lor Ann Oils that is great for making things taste like creamcheese (a secret ingredient in many of my baked goods)

Might want to check this list of UNSAFE ingredients. https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

This is the second time recently that the question of whey has come up. Where is this misinformation coming from? Casein intolerance is common among those with celiac disease, especially those in recovery, but whey is gluten free.

7 minutes ago, psawyer said:

This is the second time recently that the question of whey has come up. Where is this misinformation coming from? Casein intolerance is common among those with celiac disease, especially those in recovery, but whey is gluten free.

I am wondering if they are getting it confused with a whey protein powder  that might contain gluten?  They might not realize that the protein powder sold for making smoothies is a multi ingredient thing and it isn't the whey that is the gluten issue?   Or one of these fringe sites that tell you strange things? You know the ones that think eggs are dairy?  ?

Edited by kareng

Looks like my link might not have worked.  The Newbie thread is listed at the top of the Coping section.