Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):



Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


0
BlackShoesBlackSocks

''The'' stomach ache....how could artificial sweeteners and gluten cause the same feeling?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey all

 

So l am undiagnosed but along with other symptoms have had increasingly bad stomach aches for over the past year.

 

They are specific, l tend to remember what l was doing and where l was when l have them. It's ''that'' thing again. l don't believe l had this kind of stomachache in childhood or even as a teenager, ever. Likely not until mid 20s, then a year might pass without one.

 

Now it happens at least once a month, before being gluten-free, once a week for the last few months. They  last several hours, at first l had to ride it out at work and the most severe one was probably around Christmas last year, l'm a retail manager and was on register. While they happen l lean INTO the counter to try and apply pressure to the upper middle slight left  area of my stomach.

 

Now sometimes l've found drinking soda helps, but l have no idea why it would. Not sucralose or aspartame containing, l do NOT drink diet soda or eat lght foods, but l do consume a lot of gum and mints with sucralose or aspartame, and afterward, ot seems like the same stomach ache, almost like something is being pushed...out?

 

l am newly gluten-free but have been strict so l am just not sure why aspartame would cause the same feeling as what l thought was a gluten stomach ache. FWIW, the worst episode actually was after catered Olive Garden last Christmas and this often happens after pasta and heavily preserved pasta like Chef Boyardee products.

 

as a kid l was a big pasta lover and had none of these problems!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


Bubbles from soda can help move the gas along!

I find that aspartame gives me  & one of my sons (not Celiac) a stomach ache but we are fine with sucralose.  I know some people (Celiac or not) that have the exact opposite.  


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Just now, kareng said:

Chewing gum causes you to swallow a lot of air.

Aspartame does the same to me when I used to drink soda or use those packets in a restaurant to sweeten my tea. (I am of course in the south!) Now, I just don't ingest any sugar subs at all and call it a day. But that pain and the abdominal pain I had before going off gluten was very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

23 minutes ago, kareng said:

Bubbles from soda can help move the gas along!

I find that aspartame gives me  & one of my sons (not Celiac) a stomach ache but we are fine with sucralose.  I know some people (Celiac or not) that have the exact opposite.  

Does it feel similar to what you would experience after eating gluten if you have gluten related stomach aches as well?

 

Maybe l'm just more sensitive at this point. lve also noticed eating a plain green apple helps too so maybe whatever is going on in that specific area is just intense gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Just now, BlackShoesBlackSocks said:

Does it feel similar to what you would experience after eating gluten if you have gluten related stomach aches as well?

 

Maybe l'm just more sensitive at this point. lve also noticed eating a plain green apple helps too so maybe whatever is going on in that specific area is just intense gas.

Yes.  Aspartame and the sweetener in gum make me feel like a gluten ache.  But it is short lived and doesn't cause the exhaustion and diarrhea I get from gluten


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

I have a very similar if not worse bipoloar mind trips to aspartame as gluten complete Mr. Hyde yelling, punching walls, snapping 180 difference in personality.


Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

I agree with all above. I find artificial sweeteners can make my stomach hurt but then so does soda, I'm  just not good with bubbleds. On the other hand, preservatives are a total and complete no-no for me.  If I pair high preservatives with gluten I'm sick for days and days and days. I guess then my very worst meal is  my favorite, pizza with lots of pepperoni etc and diet soda, lol. I do miss it, it's one of the only cravings I still get. I also find that if I've been glutened in the past month, I react much more strongly to some foods. Normally now I'm ok with cheese but if I've been glutened it reverts back to lactose intolerance for 3-6 months. I do just what you do with that stomach pain, lean into something or lie down and massage my stomach, pressure seems to relieve it momentarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

15 hours ago, Jaemac said:

I agree with all above. I find artificial sweeteners can make my stomach hurt but then so does soda, I'm  just not good with bubbleds. On the other hand, preservatives are a total and complete no-no for me.  If I pair high preservatives with gluten I'm sick for days and days and days. I guess then my very worst meal is  my favorite, pizza with lots of pepperoni etc and diet soda, lol. I do miss it, it's one of the only cravings I still get. I also find that if I've been glutened in the past month, I react much more strongly to some foods. Normally now I'm ok with cheese but if I've been glutened it reverts back to lactose intolerance for 3-6 months. I do just what you do with that stomach pain, lean into something or lie down and massage my stomach, pressure seems to relieve it momentarily.

l'm really glad you know whatl mean by ''the'' pain, in the same spot. l had never had that kind of pain before. l know it doesn't mean that it's gluten related specifically, but it is a realllly awful stomach ache. if l had never tried to figure out what it was l may be getting them at work daily now, it would suck to have to leave because of a stomach ache but all you can do is bend over, lean in or lay down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join eNewsletter

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0


Join eNewsletter