Rate this topic

Does anyone know any way the celiac community can help those of us that are having to sleep in and eat in shelters? Any organizations sending safe ready to eat foods that might need a contribution? Any organizations like the Red Cross helping that we can get in contact with etc...

My heart aches thinking of folks like us having to deal with all the trauma and risking or having gluten reactions at the same time. There has to be something those of us distant can do to help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I know the local Celiac Group here on FB have a few members gathering gluten-free progresso soups, to take down there. I told them to contact gluten-free companies and local gluten-free bakeries for donations. I figured companies like Enjoy Life, GERBS, and a few others might donate to the cause for people with food allergies in general.

Funny I actually had a dream last night I had a food truck serving hot stew/soup to people during the storm. The actual setting was quit funny and ridiculous but the thought of doing something like that really touches home with how I like to help people and be useful. I would love to head up a effort to contact and gather gluten-free foods and go down there if I had a save means for my self to survive with my allergies/food issues (food truck/RV/Camper). -_- I have contacts in so many companies I am sure I could get a few cases of donations from various companies to give out.

Go Picnic has donated to tornado disasters in the past.  At one time, they were trying to get the Red Cross to stock some - but not sure how it went.  IN the past, The Red Cross basically said that 'beggars can't be choosers".  I think the Red Cross does great work, but I hope in the years since the Joplin tornado that thinking has changed.

• Like 2

Saw this on Facebook & saw the gluten-free watchdog was organizing something, too

If you’d like to help food allergy families, here’s how…

The San Antonio Food Bank is coordinating food efforts to help ALL of Texas hurricane victims right now. San Antonio is clear and sunny and having no issues with roads closures or mail delays (unlike Houston).

San Antonio Food Bank

FOOD ALLERGY FRIENDLY 

5200 Enrique M. Barrera Pkwy

San Antonio, TX 78227-2209

(210) 337-3663

Info@safoodbank.org

Mon-Fri 8am-5pm

https://safoodbank.org/

The information on the “Hurricane Harvey Emergency Response” pops up on their main page…scroll down to see all options.

•Folks can donate “MONETARY DONATIONS” and put in the NOTES section (at the bottom) that they want their donation to go to “FOOD ALLERGY FRIENDLY FOODS” – this may make the most immediate impact.

•Food allergy companies or donors can send “MATERIAL DONATIONS” food allergy products directly to the San Antonio Food Bank (address above) and clearly mark them as FOOD ALLERGY FRIENDLY – If possible, include a clear message that it’s food allergy friendly on the outside of the box, in the second address line, and on the inside of the box. 

•Shipments direct from AMAZON: If you are sending allergy-friendly items directly from Amazon.com, you can enter "FOOD ALLERGY FRIENDLY " in the "Address line 2" field for the address and include it in a "gift message" which would be inside the box, to help with package sorting.

*San Antonio Residents – You can donate food allergy friendly items to the SA Food Bank or the City Council Offices listed.  Please clearly mark them as “FOOD ALLERGY FRIENDLY” inside and outside and if possible pack them in a sturdy box. You can sign up to volunteer at the SA Food Bank (you must sign up ahead of time).

FYI FARE and KFA/AAFA have blog posts with additional details. Enjoy Life and Sunbutter companies are already planning to send donations. AAFA is working with someone from the EoE community. If you happen to have a personal corporate connection looking to donate, please have them contact Chad Chittenden, Director of Food Industry Partnerships at cchittenden@safoodbank.org (210) 431-8313, but I’m sure he’s swamped and other organizations are already reaching out to companies.

--Susan & Selena -- San Antonio Food Allergy Support Team (volunteer leaders & FA moms)

P.S. There are many other organizations that need general help (including the Red Cross and Blood Bank). Thanks to any of you who are helping in whatever way works for you. <3

• Like 1

Dear Gluten Free Watchdog community,

First and foremost, for anyone impacted by Hurricane Harvey, our thoughts are with you and we hope you and your loved ones are safe. If you need gluten-free food and have an address where the food can be shipped for pick up, please let me know.

Some members of the community have reached out asking what we can do to help. On Monday, at the suggestion of a GFWD community member in Texas, I reached out to the North Texas Food Bank (NTFB). They did some legwork and got back to me letting me know that we would be able to contribute food through the Mass Care Task Force. I spoke to the NTFB again today and they do not yet have any information available regarding where we can send food. I was told that it wasn’t until today that the Houston Food Bank was even able to open. They understand that folks with celiac disease require gluten-free foods and they are very appreciative of our support. I will continue to be in touch with NTFB and will update the community with any information. Also know that other groups are working very hard to establish some means of getting food where it is needed.

Again, if anyone in Texas is in need of gluten-free foods or can help with efforts to get gluten-free food to where it is needed, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Tricia Thompson, MS, RD

Founder, Gluten Free Watchdog, LLC

open?upn=Arr-2BBRqfLQqQOZ7Gq97k8-2BnyHV5

• Like 1

Ads by Google:

Karen thank you so much for posting this information. It is very helpful for those of us who can and want to help fellow celiacs survive during this horrible weather crisis.

• Like 1

Thanks, Karen for posting this! 

Thanks for posting!

Here is the current info from gluten-free Watchdog -

Dear Gluten Free Watchdog community,

Here is the link to a post just published on Gluten Free Watchdog about sending gluten-free food to folks impacted by Hurrincane Harvey https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/sending-gluten-free-food-to-folks-impacted-by-hurricane-harvey/

Here is the text of the post for your convenience:

This morning Chad from the San Antonio Food Bank called me. https://safoodbank.org/

The food bank is able to accept food donations by mail. They are aware of the necessity of gluten-free food for folks with celiac disease and NCGS.

If you would like to donate food:

·      Please send non-perishable gluten-free food: Some possibilities include breakfast cereal, shelf-stable bread, such as Schar (please do not send food that must be kept in the freezer/fridge), Sun butter, snack bars, packages of dried fruit, shelf-stable meals, such as Tasty Bite, etc.  The food bank does not have any special requests, as they are in need of most everything. (Note: they have an ample supply of shelf-stable “milk” of all kinds, including soy etc.).

·      Please mark the outside of the box “Gluten-Free Food” in large bright letters. These boxes will be kept separate from other food donations and will be sent out to where they are needed as requests are received.

·      Please send your box to:

San Antonio Food Bank

5200 Enrique M. Barrera Parkway

San Antonio, Texas 78227

Thank you!

Tricia Thompson, MS, RD

Founder, Gluten Free Watchdog, LLC

Edited by kareng
Apologies for the second email. Food should be marked disaster relief/gluten-free food. Apologies also for the typos (I am typing way too fast and doing too many things at once!!).

My bakery officially launched a campaign yesterday to raise money to send food and supplies to the San Antonio food bank. Our goal is to send sets of both Gluten Free foods and a set of Allergen Free food to help. We are committing all profits made this week on sales and orders to the cause, and accepting donations. I am looking at logistics and viability of making shelf stable snacks and packaging them also from my bakery to send over (candied nuts, seasoned seeds, dried fruits). Yesterday we did dairy free thai fried ice cream and collected $36 not much but a start.

• Like 2

Ads by Google:

16 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

My bakery officially launched a campaign yesterday to raise money to send food and supplies to the San Antonio food bank. Our goal is to send sets of both Gluten Free foods and a set of Allergen Free food to help. We are committing all profits made this week on sales and orders to the cause, and accepting donations. I am looking at logistics and viability of making shelf stable snacks and packaging them also from my bakery to send over (candied nuts, seasoned seeds, dried fruits). Yesterday we did dairy free thai fried ice cream and collected $36 not much but a start.

That's awesome Ennis! 

Do you have a website?

20 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

That's awesome Ennis! 

Do you have a website?

Yes a facebook page, but fourm rules forbid me for posting it or saying it to go there. I have been gotten onto several times in the past for it. They consider it promoting a business/personal gain type of thing. I really want to comment on that but can't.

1 minute ago, Ennis_TX said:

Yes a facebook page, but fourm rules forbid me for posting it or saying it to go there. I have been gotten onto several times in the past for it. They consider it promoting a business/personal gain type of thing. I really want to comment on that but can't.

That's a shame. I tried googling gluten free bakery ennis tx but nothing really came up. If I lived closer I'd make you a website.

http://celiaccommunity.org/2017/hurricane-relief/

"A task force* of hospital celiac centers, nonprofit organizations, support groups and community leaders is facilitating gluten-free product donations and gluten-free/allergy-friendly designated monetary donations to food banks in impacted areas of Texas. This page will be updated as information comes in."

• Like 1

I had some really odd results.

I contacted 8 companies about donating gluten free food, allergen friendly foods, and supplies.I was collecting for both San Antonio Food Bank and for UMCOR.

Out of these 8 companies 3 denied me but instead posted on their social media how to help by donating to the San Antonio Food Bank within days of me messaging them. One ignored me and within 48 hours started their own donation campaign. One got back to me and forwarded the plans to management. Never head anything from the others. In the mean time my bakery raised just $68 donating all sales from the past 2 weeks to the cause.
As I have very limited goods to donate, (only some seeds, and nuts mixes I made to donate) should I just calculate their cost out and just send a monetary donation to the food banks? I mean shipping sorta counter acts what I can send.

Wonder if I should feel proud I moved some companies to help......

Thank for posting this info.

7 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

In the mean time my bakery raised just $68 donating all sales from the past 2 weeks to the cause.
As I have very limited goods to donate, (only some seeds, and nuts mixes I made to donate) should I just calculate their cost out and just send a monetary donation to the food banks? I mean shipping sorta counter acts what I can send.

Wonder if I should feel proud I moved some companies to help......

You could jsut drop the stuff off at a local food bank. They would appretiate it I am sure. Then just send the $68 to whatever organization you think will be the best at using it.  You also could see if your cities Celiac Support group is getting stuff together and if they will include what you have in their shipment.