Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
txcyn

Positive Biopsy Negative HLA DQ2 HLA DQ8

Rate this topic

Is it possible to have celiac with these results (Quest Quanum Insights)

HLA DQ2 Negative

HLA DQ8 Negative

HLA variants detected: HLA DQA1 01

HLA DQA1 03

HLA DQB1 0301

HLA DQB1 0604

Small bowel duodenum biopsies, moderate duodenitis inflamation

few areas blunting villi

igg iga Negative 

Edited by txcyn
Add more info

Yep. 

There are lots of biopsy confirmed celiacs without DQ2 & DQ8, despite what the websites say.

As far as I know 03:01 is DQ7.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4580462/

It is linked to celiac in the med research for a long time, mostly investigated with DQ2&8 but has more recently come under scrutiny as an independent risk for celiac disease. The study linked above showed more than 4% of confirmed celiacs do not have DQ2 or 8. 

Study also showed that 38% of those without in their study of more than 5,000 carried DQ7.

If you have those genes and a positive biopsy  (intestinal? skin?) you could absolutely be a celiac. (What kind of biopsy?)

Yes it is quite possible. I am one of those oddballs myself with a double DQ9. Have you had the celiac panel blood tests done yet? If not stay on gluten until that is done.

Small bowel duodenum biopsie, moderate duodenitis inflamation

few areas blunting villi

igg iga Negative 

Edited by txcyn
Misspell

1 hour ago, txcyn said:

Small bowel duodenum biopsie, moderate duodenitis inflamation

few areas blunting villi

igg iga Negative 

What is IgA and IgG?  Is this in reference to the TTG, EMA and DGP celiac antibodies tests?  Those all were negative?   Some 10% of celiacs are seronegative.  

Are you doubting your celiac disease diagnosis?  Because gene testing is often used to help eliminate celiac disease.   You had a positive biopsy.  While other things can cause villi damage, celiac disease is the most common culprit.  

I'm a double DQ7 and was diagnosed with Celiac due to villi damage.  Blood panel was negative. All my health problems went away after going gluten free.  That was 3 years ago.  I'm also curious what other diseases can cause villi damage.  

1 hour ago, patrickm67 said:

I'm a double DQ7 and was diagnosed with Celiac due to villi damage.  Blood panel was negative. All my health problems went away after going gluten free.  That was 3 years ago.  I'm also curious what other diseases can cause villi damage.  

Here are other things that can cause villi atrophy damage (University of Chicago):  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/