This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Putting The "oats Are Okay" Theory To The Test

Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Every year I get really bad dry skin on my hands, my skin cracks and bleeds in between the fingers and on my knuckles. The ONLY thing on the market that used to be able to take care of it was Aveeno with Oatmeal. Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING! When I went gluten free, I had to give up my Aveeno. I haven't been able to keep the dry skin in the wintertime under control ever since then.

Well, with all this talk from professionals that oats are now okay for celiacs, I am going to put their theory to the test. I am again going to be using Aveeno with Oatmeal. I will let you guys know what the results are and if I have a reaction.......

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Karen--Hope you get some relief! I remember using the Aveeno body wash a couple of years ago. My skin was itchy and prickly after, but back then I didn't know I was sensitive to gluten on my skin. But we're all different and I wish you luck with it :)

Felidae Enthusiast

I know you said you tried everything, but I just have to ask. Have you tried George's Special Dry Skin Cream? It was made by two dermatologists in Calgary where I'm sure you know we have terribly dry weather.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

This may be something you tried, but would glopping on Vasiline at night and covering it up to avoid making a mess, work? I also have weird dry skin and the only thing on the market I've found that works is the St Ives bottle of lotion... it's the one with the red white and blue colors. None of the other St. Ives work for me. No other lotion out there works for my dry skin. I use vasiline when I've neglected my dry patches for a day or two and it gets out of control. Sometimes I am too busy or convince myself I don't NEED to put my lotion on that morning... haha.... stupid, I know. But when I do that, my dry skin is a bear within a couple of days. I will sometimes slather on globs of vasiline and lounge around in pjs for a weekend to heal any damage I've got that gets nasty. It works. Or, as I've learned, just keep the St Ives in the kitchen, livingroom and bathroom and constantly pump out a glob and smear it on whatever is feeling tight. Then I never have a problem. I never have a problem unless I neglect it.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Every year I get really bad dry skin on my hands, my skin cracks and bleeds in between the fingers and on my knuckles. The ONLY thing on the market that used to be able to take care of it was Aveeno with Oatmeal. Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING! When I went gluten free, I had to give up my Aveeno.

If that doesn't work, if you haven't tried it yet, you might try ShiKai's Dry Skin Therapy. Very effective.

jenvan Collaborator

Karen--

I'm not sure if its gluten-free...stopped using it a while ago...but for my major itchy winter skin (that drove me crazy!!) i used to use neutrogena's anti-itch lotion. helped a ton...

also--this is more expensive, but you could also try a lotion with lactic acid in it, moisturizes and "sloughs" dead skin. i used to buy some at a drug store and use it on those 'bumps' on the back of the arms and legs....gets rid of them.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Gold Bond is really good. Have you tried that brand?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Karen

With all honesty I don't think this is a good test. They could be using oats that were cross contaminated with wheat. After all, they are the grade of oats that people do not eat (I would assume they are not a fine grade of oat). If you do use it, then let us know the outcome.

Debbie

Guest Beth Armour
Karen

With all honesty I don't think this is a good test. They could be using oats that were cross contaminated with wheat. After all, they are the grade of oats that people do not eat (I would assume they are not a fine grade of oat). If you do use it, then let us know the outcome.

Debbie

Hi Everyone

I'm with Debbie on this one. Just because pure, uncontaminated oats is available, the Aveeno company hasn't switched source of oats. Might be an interesting proposal however.

Beth

Archived