Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
mycroft

oats and citric acid

Rate this topic

Does anyone have information about oats being used as the substrate in citric acid production?  I am intolerant to oats rather than gluten, and seem to get an "oat reaction" whenever I am exposed to citric acid.  Thanks

51 minutes ago, mycroft said:

Does anyone have information about oats being used as the substrate in citric acid production?  I am intolerant to oats rather than gluten, and seem to get an "oat reaction" whenever I am exposed to citric acid.  Thanks

This is a interesting topic, in what foods is the citric acid in? I have never heard of oats being used in citric acid productions. But I have found some foods, fermented or stored in a certain way bother me. I have chocked this up to a moderate histamine reactions. Again oddly some bother me some do not. Like my body is a picky child. Overly ripe tomatoes or some tomatoes canned in salt and citric acid bother me and make me sick and throw up. Unsalted ones organic, and only from 2 brands have NEVER caused this issues.  Distilled, balsamic, rice, and a few other vinegar make me throw up...oddly apple cider vinegar does not.  I found Real lemon lemon or lime juice powder does not bother me but the stuff in the bottle does. This is a amusing one. I am a bit piqued here by the citric acid phanomon myself. Is it the source of the citric acid, the way it is processed, the histamine level of it. I react to oats much like gluten but on a VERY reduced level even gluten-free Oats.

OK after writing all this I looked it up, seems a lot of times it is made from corn.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid   

THIS explains my issues with it, unsure how much of the protein gets through but I am highly allergic to corn. I thank you for bringing this up. Hmm now is it a histamine issue, corn issue, mold related issue, Or somethinge else? ...... OK I wish there were required to tell you what they derived a compound from -_-

I wouldn't think citric acid would be a problem as it is highly purified. Protein is what causes a reaction, and it is unlikely that even trace amounts are present.