Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
ameliarta

Why is my Anti-gliadin IgA still positive?

Rate this topic

I had the GI MAP stool test done and my Anti-Gliadin IgA came out high positive (206 UL), in spite of being strictly

gluten-free for years. How can this be? I only use gluten-free cosmetics and personal products too. I am confused! Please help!

Amelia

19 minutes ago, ameliarta said:

I had the GI MAP stool test done and my Anti-Gliadin IgA came out high positive (206 UL), in spite of being strictly

gluten-free for years. How can this be? I only use gluten-free cosmetics and personal products too. I am confused! Please help!

Amelia

Well.....there is a reason why leading celiac centers do NOT use stool tests.  They are considered unreliable.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/

What made you take this test?  Are you displaying symptoms?  If so, perhaps you should request a standard celiac blood test panel to help you rule out celiac disease as the culprit.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

I took the stool test to see if I had parasites, SIBO, etc. All that was negative. I do have lupus and Hashimoto's and multiple food allergies. Maybe I should take the blood tests you suggested. I didn't know that stool tests were unreliable.

45 minutes ago, ameliarta said:

I took the stool test to see if I had parasites, SIBO, etc. All that was negative. I do have lupus and Hashimoto's and multiple food allergies. Maybe I should take the blood tests you suggested. I didn't know that stool tests were unreliable.

If you take the blood test and you aren't eating gluten, especially for a long time,  it will be negative whether you have celiac or not. You need to be eating gluten in order to have something to react to. (Make sure to read the whole article cyclinglady gave you.) 

Are you diagnosed with celiac disease, in addition to Hashi's and Lupus?  Or did you go gluten free to help with those Other autoimmune issues?