Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
AdeleMundy

Medication methylprednisolone and sulfasalazine

Rate this topic

Hey everyone,
My doctor recently prescribed me methylprednisolone and sulfasalazine but the pharmacy flagged the medications as potentially containing gluten (I now love Wegman’s Pharmacy). Has anyone one here taken either of these with success? I'm looking for brand names that don't have gluten.

Thanks

Edited by AdeleMundy
Clarification

These are generic drugs that may be made by more than one manufacturer, you'd need to know the manufacturer to look up the inactive ingredients.

I need to tell my pharmacy that I have celiac, I hadn't thought of that (I don't take anything on a regular basis).

@RMJ Thanks. I should have mentioned, I'm looking for brands that don't have gluten, but haven't had much luck online.

I used to use CVS but they kept forgetting to check for gluten. Wegman's is great because they call up the manufacturer for me every time I have a new prescription since I'm registered as celiac in their system.

Wow, it is nice that they call the manufacturer.  I'll see if I can find a list of manufacturers on the FDA website.

Here is the FDA list of manufacturers, if my link works.  It is on the 4th page of "S" drugs. Just click on the drug name.  methylprednisolone is on the 4th page of Ms.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf/index.cfm?event=browseByLetter.page&productLetter=S&ai=0

They may not all be making it any more, but this may be a place to start.  The generic companies often have websites.

Thanks! I'll definitely check this out! Do you know if this site will tell me whether or not they are safe for us celiacs?

No, it won't tell you that, you'd have to call each manufacturer, if their website still lists it as a product.  Based on the ingredients I found for sulfasalazine from one manufacturer (Greenstone) I'm not sure why it isn't safe, but that seems to be the consensus on the internet.  Greenstone had starch but didn't list the source, that might be the problem.  Or maybe it is how the active ingredient itself is produced, or maybe it is made on shared equipment, or...

Thanks again for all the help!

Yes, my pharmacy said the issue was "pregelatinized starch" from an unknown source, so I think your first guess was right. I'll call them up now that I have a list to work with. I'll let you know what I find!