Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
3 3
Casey1952

What to do after eating gluten

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Casey1952 said:

Is there anything I can take after I have accidentally consumed gluten 

There are some enzymes you can take to lessen the gut symptoms, they help break it down quicker to get over it faster. Your antibodies will still flare up for the next few weeks and weak havoc with your immune system so it is mostly damage control. Go easy on your gut everyone is different in terms of easy to digest foods. I myself use coconut and konjac porridge the next couple days of with egg whites and nothing solid. Others swear by broths, soups, sweet potatoes, rice porridge, and slow cooked meats.
Imodium helps if you have D, if you get C like me up your magnesium, I use magnesium calm but rotate in more doctors best which is easier on the gut when glutened. Peptobismal many swear by. GasX can help also. Anise (not star anise) can help with bloat and gas also. Teas are wonderful, drink plenty of liquids regardless.

Peppermint tea can help with a gassy stomach.  Some people take activated charcoal tablets.  There's also aspirin and wine to consider.  Pepto can help (it has aspirin in it), and may soothe the the gut irritation.  But it is not a long lasting affect, take it every couple hours.

I can not add anything else, but I hope you feel better fast!  

I would just generally eat healthy. Avoid milk and fructose for a while as they can be difficult to digest before your intestine heals.  Glutamine powder is a protein that is available in grocery stores. Glutamine is the main fuel for the cells that line the intestine, and it may help them grow back faster. 

I don't know for sure about alchohol but I would avoid it. Gluten I think is soluble in high concentration alcohol. This may cause a more intense immune response.