Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Casey1952

What to do after eating gluten

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

4 hours ago, Casey1952 said:

Is there anything I can take after I have accidentally consumed gluten 

There are some enzymes you can take to lessen the gut symptoms, they help break it down quicker to get over it faster. Your antibodies will still flare up for the next few weeks and weak havoc with your immune system so it is mostly damage control. Go easy on your gut everyone is different in terms of easy to digest foods. I myself use coconut and konjac porridge the next couple days of with egg whites and nothing solid. Others swear by broths, soups, sweet potatoes, rice porridge, and slow cooked meats.
Imodium helps if you have D, if you get C like me up your magnesium, I use magnesium calm but rotate in more doctors best which is easier on the gut when glutened. Peptobismal many swear by. GasX can help also. Anise (not star anise) can help with bloat and gas also. Teas are wonderful, drink plenty of liquids regardless.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter

Peppermint tea can help with a gassy stomach.  Some people take activated charcoal tablets.  There's also aspirin and wine to consider.  Pepto can help (it has aspirin in it), and may soothe the the gut irritation.  But it is not a long lasting affect, take it every couple hours.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

I can not add anything else, but I hope you feel better fast!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I would just generally eat healthy. Avoid milk and fructose for a while as they can be difficult to digest before your intestine heals.  Glutamine powder is a protein that is available in grocery stores. Glutamine is the main fuel for the cells that line the intestine, and it may help them grow back faster. 

I don't know for sure about alchohol but I would avoid it. Gluten I think is soluble in high concentration alcohol. This may cause a more intense immune response. 

Wheat sensitive. Probably Celiac disease but it could be an allergic response. I get very strong anxiety and then autistic symptoms whenever I eat wheat. It is probably a form of encephalitis (swelling in the brain due to wheat) but I am not sure.  Things that I avoid: All grain, alcohol, eggs, dairy, processed food.

Join eNewsletter