Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Beth Rubin

New to all of this

Rate this topic

I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease and actually was told I had a genetic marker for the disease, at 55 years old this totally blew me away. I thought I had a gall bladder attack because I was totally symptom free, who knew!  I am learning my way around how to find Gluten and stay gluten free, but one of my biggest challenges is when I have a long distance drive. I used to be able to hit a drive through and was all set, that is a challenge now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pack a lunch or snack? Protein bars, sandwich, crackers and cheese slices, etc

I hope they diagnosed you on more than a gene?

Edited by kareng

Welcome to the board. Many of us keep safe gluten free snacks on hand for times when we are away from home.  In addition to what Karen mentioned fruits, nuts, hard boiled eggs etc. If it is a long trip a cooler can keep stuff fresh for you and they make ones that you can plug into your car.

How were you diagnosed? Many folks carry the genes but don't develop celiac. You should have had a celiac panel blood test and an endoscopy. If you are new to the lifestyle then do check out the Newbie 101 threead at the top of the Coping section. it has a lot of info to keep you safe.

Take the opportunity to get healthy! 

Nuts, seeds, fruits, take these as snacks on your drive. I personally love almonds and pumpkin seeds. Or bananas and blueberries. Or if you need protein there's lots of gluten free protein bars at gas stations. I like to pack hard boiled eggs too. 

One thing I do for long trips is I make sort of a granola/protein bar at home and take it with me. 

1 cup oats

3 eggs

two spoonfuls of peanut butter

some cinnamon

and a banana.

mash it all together and bake it like a cake for about 20 minutes. Chop em up into little bars and bag em for your trip.

just get creative and try new things! 

1 hour ago, Celiac4762 said:

Take the opportunity to get healthy! 

Nuts, seeds, fruits, take these as snacks on your drive. I personally love almonds and pumpkin seeds. Or bananas and blueberries. Or if you need protein there's lots of gluten free protein bars at gas stations. I like to pack hard boiled eggs too. 

One thing I do for long trips is I make sort of a granola/protein bar at home and take it with me. 

1 cup oats

3 eggs

two spoonfuls of peanut butter

some cinnamon

and a banana.

mash it all together and bake it like a cake for about 20 minutes. Chop em up into little bars and bag em for your trip.

just get creative and try new things! 

FYI newly diagnosed should not have oats right away. 

Thanks everyone. When I saw gastro she thought all tests( ultrasound and endoscopy) would prove gall bladder issue. Nope, duodenum flagged for marker for Celiac so I had multiple blood tests. Also found an ulcer. Antibodies showed positive and had genetic marker test done which also was positive. I have been gluten free for two 1/2 months, at end of October I have blood tests to see if antibodies went down and to check vitamin absorption.

Edited by Beth Rubin