Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Melody24

Erasers gluten free?

Rate this topic

Hi, 

i am a teacher and would like to give my students a non food treat at the end of the week. I have a student who has celiac in my class. I considered special pencil erasers. Are erasers gluten free? I know markers and glue could sometimes have gluten and I just want to be 100% about erasers being gluten free. 

Edited by Melody24

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think erasers are just fine.  As a celiac, I never worry about erasers and I am touching and scooping up eraser crud daily created by  me, hubby and a high schooler!  

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/08/10-things-you-probably-did-not-know-about-eraser-technology/279028/

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Eraser.html

Found this for non-food treats created by University students for elementary school-age kids:

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/kbrec/sites/default/files/NonFood_Rewards_Benton.pdf

Have fun!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

8 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

Erasers, markers and glue don't have gluten. 

Now just don't make papier-mâché with them. That has gluten.

Some non-toxic glues do have gluten but Elmers is safe. Their finger paints are not safe though. I looked up Elmers because they are one of the most commonly used glues in school.

From their web site-

"Is Elmer's glue gluten free?

All of our products are gluten free except for the Elmer's Finger Paints. The finger paints contain wheat and oat products."

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

17 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Some non-toxic glues do have gluten but Elmers is safe. Their finger paints are not safe though. I looked up Elmers because they are one of the most commonly used glues in school.

From their web site-

"Is Elmer's glue gluten free?

All of our products are gluten free except for the Elmer's Finger Paints. The finger paints contain wheat and oat products."

Which glues have gluten? Cannot find info on that, besides of course wallpaper paste which is why I said no papier-mâché .

Join eNewsletter