This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update On Some Cosmetics....also Need Lotion Advice.

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

hi everyone...for all of you makeup junkies like me...i did a little calling around and found out some gluten-free products...

I couldnt get rid of all my MAC makeup so i had to call and find out what was safe.

The studio finish powder

The bronzers

Their eyeshadows (except the luxe pearl ones)

Masqueras (except the prolong lash)

Eye pencils/kohls

Lipglass

are all gluten-free!!

OPI & Revlons (nail enamal and color stay types only) nails polish is safe for those of you that need manicures =)

I still have a lot more calling around to do, so I will keep u updated!

Also is there a lotion that anyone can recommend that I could just go to a local CVS or something and pick up that I know will be safe to use. I currently have bath and body works, the ingredients list is ok, but im concerned about cross contamination with them cause they have so many products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm glad that the Revlon Color Stay nail polish is safe. I use it on my toes in the summer--stays on better than anything else I've tried. Thanks :)

kevsmom Contributor
hi everyone...for all of you makeup junkies like me...i did a little calling around and found out some gluten-free products...

I couldnt get rid of all my MAC makeup so i had to call and find out what was safe.

The studio finish powder

The bronzers

Their eyeshadows (except the luxe pearl ones)

Masqueras (except the prolong lash)

Eye pencils/kohls

Lipglass

are all gluten-free!!

OPI & Revlons (nail enamal and color stay types only) nails polish is safe for those of you that need manicures =)

I still have a lot more calling around to do, so I will keep u updated!

Also is there a lotion that anyone can recommend that I could just go to a local CVS or something and pick up that I know will be safe to use. I currently have bath and body works, the ingredients list is ok, but im concerned about cross contamination with them cause they have so many products.

I emailed Vaseline Intensive Care, and this is their response:

Hi,

Thank you for writing!

Vaseline Intensive Care lotions do not contain gluten.

We hope this helps!

Vaseline Consumer Services

Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 12:18 PM

To: CA-LP-Tor, Spcl-ConsumerCentre

Subject: Home and Personal Care related enquiry

Cindy :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for contacting the companies :)

• 4 weeks later...
mzwclw Newbie

Hi everyone -

I am attempting to help a friend locate cosmetics that are gluten free. Does any one have a list of companies. I appreciate the comments I read earlier about REVLON as my firend does use nail polish.

Thanks in advance.

MZWCLW

jkmunchkin Rising Star

What about the MAC lipsticks? Or is it just the lipglass?

To be honest the majority of any brand you buy is manufactured by 1 of 2 larger companies so I would have to assume that if a product from one is good they all are...

Moongirl Community Regular

To be honest the majority of any brand you buy is manufactured by 1 of 2 larger companies so I would have to assume that if a product from one is good they all are...

I didnt ask about the MAC lipsticks, cause i dont tend to wear them, but she did say all the lipglass was gluten-free.

If you call them, they are very nice about it, and seemed to know exactly what they were talking about!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

I would have to look back in my "binder" but some MAC lipsticks Definitely contain gluten. Can't remember which type. If someone pms me I can look for it at home...just might have to remind me :)

carriecraig Enthusiast

Ooohh, good to know about OPI - I love their colors.

Susan123 Rookie

DOes anyone Know about Avon?

jerseyangel Proficient

I remembered something from a while back--

Open Original Shared Link

carriecraig Enthusiast

For lotion I use Johnson's Softlotion - the one with baby oil in it. It's great!

Rusla Enthusiast

I emailed avon asking them and their direct quote back was this, "We have no idea what is in any of our cosmetics, scents, shampoos and bath products as they are made by various other companies.

We do not find it necessary at this time to request the ingredients."

pixiegirl Enthusiast

The reply I got from Avon was similar, sort of.... I asked about gluten and they sent me an e-mail saying... read the ingredients thats whats in our stuff. Hmmm.

Susan

Silver-naki Rookie

:unsure: I like alot of the Johnson & Johnson, and also the Playtex & Huggies brands BABY LOTIONS..... does anyone know if these are safe to use? I have quite a few bottles of various kinds, as I love the feel & the smell of them... It's hard for me to tell yet, if I have any reactions to any of these, because my skin is so dry & "itchy" all the time in the Winter. Nothing major is happening with still using these brands of Lotions for me yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Guest BERNESES

Most Neutrogena products are gluten-free- the lotions are wonderful. I am currently using the Visibly Firm body lotion with copper in it. I called today and they said it was gluten-free, asked for my email address to send me a complete list of products that are gluten-free and my mailing address to send me some coupons. I LOVE them!

floridanative Community Regular

Revlon told me that same that Avon said above - they can't confirm ANY of their make up is gluten-free. I threw all their stuff out today (except nail polishes). It was sad but it had to be done. Luckily a lot of it was almost empty anyway :P

Guest LauraLatham

The only line of MAC lipsticks that are not gluten-free are the 'Amplified Cremes'.

If you have any other questions :

MAC Cosmetics: 1-800-611-1613

• 2 weeks later...
mamaathome Explorer
:unsure: I like alot of the Johnson & Johnson, and also the Playtex & Huggies brands BABY LOTIONS..... does anyone know if these are safe to use? I have quite a few bottles of various kinds, as I love the feel & the smell of them... It's hard for me to tell yet, if I have any reactions to any of these, because my skin is so dry & "itchy" all the time in the Winter. Nothing major is happening with still using these brands of Lotions for me yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I contacted Playtex a few months back regarding their Baby Magic Lotions, and was told all of their products are gluten free.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I have a similar thread going . . . the Neutrogena folks sent a list of all their gluten-free products. When questioned further, because it says "Wheat free", they responded that the items listed only are guaranteed wheat free -- but not barley, rye or oats. The entire list is on my thread if you want it. Also, Cetaphil products are gluten-free -- both the cleanser and the lotion. Hope this helps . . . Lynne

Guest BERNESES
I have a similar thread going . . . the Neutrogena folks... When questioned further, because it says "Wheat free", they responded that the items listed only are guaranteed wheat free -- but not barley, rye or oats. The entire list is on my thread if you want it. Also, Cetaphil products are gluten-free -- both the cleanser and the lotion. Hope this helps . . . Lynne

That's really strange.....they never mentioned that to me whjen I called them. But, as far as i know, I have never had a reaction to Neutrogena. :blink::huh:

This was what Neutrogena sent me when I questioned them about their list saying "Wheat-free":

We do not currently maintain a list of products free of corn, barley, rye or other grains. We will certainly share your interest in a more detailed gluten-free list with the proper authorities.

I don't have any reaction from them, either. The one thing that I know contains wheat and a lot of wheat by-products is the newest microdermabrasion kit. It's a shame, too, because they're the only company that uses the same ingredient that the MD's use to sandblast your face. :P

Guest BERNESES
It's a shame, too, because they're the only company that uses the same ingredient that the MD's use to sandblast your face. :P

Darn it all- we're getting a N'oreaster tomorrow and I was going to sandblast my face! Is sandpaper gluten-free? :blink:

TCA Contributor
I emailed Vaseline Intensive Care, and this is their response:

Hi,

Thank you for writing!

Vaseline Intensive Care lotions do not contain gluten.

We hope this helps!

Vaseline Consumer Services

Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 12:18 PM

To: CA-LP-Tor, Spcl-ConsumerCentre

Subject: Home and Personal Care related enquiry

Cindy :)

I'm also on a quest to deglutenize my medicine cabinet since my kids were just diagnosed. I was a t Sam's yesterday reading lables and the Vaseline Intensive Care lotions they had there had Oat protien so be careful!!!! I ended up getting lubriderm and called the company to confirm and they said it was gluten free!!!! It works really good too.

Silver - naki: According to the Dellphi list, J&J lotions are fine......

What about shampoos. I have dandruff and use garnier fructis (sp?). Anyone know about it or other dandruff shampoos?

Have replies on the way . . . . Lynne

Archived