This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Halloween

Jherm21

Jherm21 Community Regular

Obviously candy isn't good for anyone but Halloween is the exception of the year. That being said what is everyone's favorite candy for the night?! I'd like one night to indulge and not feel left out of the spooky night! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced
6 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

Obviously candy isn't good for anyone but Halloween is the exception of the year. That being said what is everyone's favorite candy for the night?! I'd like one night to indulge and not feel left out of the spooky night! 

Snickers and Reese's!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Milky Way Dark and Gimbels jelly beans and their licorice scotties.

Victoria1234 Experienced
25 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Milky Way Dark and Gimbels jelly beans and their licorice scotties.

15% off the licorice scotties here: Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor
37 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

15% off the licorice scotties here: Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for the info. Great for folks that don't have a local source. 

I found a place to get a good deal on both the big bag of jelly beans and licorice at my local Tractor Supply for 3 bucks each. Right now I am eating a 16 oz bag of their Bumble Beans that I got a Big Lots for $1.50. Those and Dark Chocolate baking chips are my worst food addictions.

TexasJen Collaborator

There's so much candy that you can eat. M&Ms (except the pretzel), Butterfinger, Skittles, Starburst, Hershey's kisses, Reese's and Reese pieces....

Open Original Shared Link

You do have to be a bit careful though with seasonal varieties which may be made on shared equipment. Check the above list which is pretty thorough.

Happy Treating!

Scarlettsdad Contributor
1 hour ago, TexasJen said:

There's so much candy that you can eat. M&Ms (except the pretzel), Butterfinger, Skittles, Starburst, Hershey's kisses, Reese's and Reese pieces....

You do have to be a bit careful though with seasonal varieties which may be made on shared equipment. Check the above list which is pretty thorough.

Happy Treating!

I wish there were comprehensive lists for candies sold in Canada. Every list I come across is US based. Also, apparently, not all similar candies contain the same ingredients. i.e.Smarties in Canada contain gluten, those in the US do not. No idea why :( 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TexasJen Collaborator

Oh, I missed the part about Canadian candy. :) Maybe you can buy some American candy on line - then you would know it's safe. Can you buy American candy on Amazon?  I buy everything on Amazon! :)

Can you call the Hershey's in Canada and ask them?  Pick your favorite candy or two and research it? 

Just a thought....

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

I loved Reese peanut butter cup and plain and peanut m and m.

now with the corn and milk intolerance I buy non candy items for Halloween.

Everyone who has Reese's or m & m eat one for me !

Flower Fairy Rookie

I know. this will be my first celiac diagnosed halloween. ever where I go I see kit kats which were my favorite. I plan to get some m&m for myself. I still hear from people that 1 won't hurt you, but they don't understand . 

tessa25 Rising Star
1 hour ago, Flower Fairy said:

I know. this will be my first celiac diagnosed halloween. ever where I go I see kit kats which were my favorite. I plan to get some m&m for myself. I still hear from people that 1 won't hurt you, but they don't understand . 

You can buy some Glutino chocolate covered wafer cookies to help with that Kit Kit addiction.

Victoria1234 Experienced
13 hours ago, Flower Fairy said:

ever where I go I see kit kats which were my favorite

Make your own!

Scarlettsdad Contributor
On 10/22/2017 at 10:46 PM, TexasJen said:

Oh, I missed the part about Canadian candy. :) Maybe you can buy some American candy on line - then you would know it's safe. Can you buy American candy on Amazon?  I buy everything on Amazon! :)

Can you call the Hershey's in Canada and ask them?  Pick your favorite candy or two and research it? 

Just a thought....

I think I will do that next year (order candy from the US). My daughter hasn't had Smarties since she was diagnosed with Celiac and the ones here (Canada) contain wheat so buying candy from a US store is what we'll do next Halloween. In the meantime, I'm trying to find treats that although don't actually have "gluten free" on the package, ingredients do not list any gluten containing items. So, are Reese peanut butter cups ok for someone with celiac? What about Aero chocolate bars? Or Oh Henry bars? If anyone has tried these, I'd love to hear if they're safe. Thanks.

TexasJen Collaborator

Reese's pieces and Reese's PB cups are safe. Also, plain Hershey kisses say gluten free on the package here in the US if you would prefer something labeled.

Scarlettsdad Contributor
17 minutes ago, TexasJen said:

Reese's pieces and Reese's PB cups are safe. Also, plain Hershey kisses say gluten free on the package here in the US if you would prefer something labeled.

Thanks! And no, it doesn't have to necessarily be labelled gluten-free. I'll check the Kisses here. 

I think it's time we take a drive down to the US. Although we (in Canada) have good options when it comes to gluten-free packaged food, it seems the US has just that much more that it'll feel like we have a whole bunch of new food options....especially during events like Halloween. :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

I pass out Smarties at Halloween because I get over 500 Trick or Treaters at my house (the next block over gets 1,000).  I am in the US, so they are gluten free.  Tootsie products (Tootie Rolls and suckers, etc. located in Chicago) are gluten free and do not melt.  Critical when it is over 100 degrees!  That would include military international locations and Southern California right now....today.  

When we are not melting, we love to snack on Junior Mints!  

Victoria1234 Experienced
18 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I pass out Smarties at Halloween because I get over 500 Trick or Treaters at my house (the next block over gets 1,000).  I am in the US, so they are gluten free.  Tootsie products (Tootie Rolls and suckers, etc. located in Chicago) are gluten free and do not melt.  Critical when it is over 100 degrees!  That would include military international locations and Southern California right now....today.  

When we are not melting, we love to snack on Junior Mints!  

Why so many? Isn't it a neighborhood thing? Or are they bussed in from nearby states? That's insane!

Scott Adams Grand Master
squirmingitch Veteran
On 10/22/2017 at 10:37 PM, Scarlettsdad said:

I wish there were comprehensive lists for candies sold in Canada. Every list I come across is US based. Also, apparently, not all similar candies contain the same ingredients. i.e.Smarties in Canada contain gluten, those in the US do not. No idea why :( 

Here is a Hershey's gluten free list for Canada. You have to scroll down past the US list & then it has a list for Canada.

This was from Halloween 2015, not sure why there isn't a 2017 list but you can check the 2015 list & it will give you a place to start. Pick out the ones you want to research & call the companies.

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular
On 10/22/2017 at 7:37 PM, Scarlettsdad said:

It's because Smarties as we know them in Canada do not exist because it's a British thing... closest thing the US has is M&Ms. In America, Smarties are Rockets (the chalky pill-like candy). I got had by this one on my first Halloween because I forgot this :(. Should have known as I lived in the US for a bit, but it slipped my mind and I didn't read the ingredient list.

Archived