lilo

Glutened myself :(((

Rate this topic

I added some onion powder to my dinner today.After eating it i became curious and send an email to manufacturer.They told me its not gluten free they add starch to it.And on package it was saying we dont add anything else:( i dont have symptoms yet but they were selling a range of gluten free products so i remembered like it was gluten free and ugh im so tired of getting glutened by random and useless stuff like this i was doing great for more than a month then this happened

im just exteremely sad

1 hour ago, lilo said:

I added some onion powder to my dinner today.After eating it i became curious and send an email to manufacturer.They told me its not gluten free they add starch to it.And on package it was saying we dont add anything else:( i dont have symptoms yet but they were selling a range of gluten free products so i remembered like it was gluten free and ugh im so tired of getting glutened by random and useless stuff like this i was doing great for more than a month then this happened

im just exteremely sad right now

Motivate me for tomorrow guys :((())

If it was wheat starch it would have to be listed on the ingredient list.  Chances are you will be okay. What brand was it?

3 hours ago, lilo said:

im just exteremely sad right now

Motivate me for tomorrow guys :((())

Well if you want to play it safe, Spicely Organic has gluten free spices, Big Axe Spice has some nice "everything" blends. I have tried two others that are supposed to be safe but found everything they made so salty I could not eat it.

I have problems with corn so I have to be aware of that when shopping for spices and gluten-free baking products as Raven pointed out.

I use Badia which states certified gluten-free

As for encouragement drink lots of water and rest. A nice soak in tub sometimes is soothing. I hope it passes soon. If you find out it is gluten-free after all ask about corn in product, on the line, or facility .

May your symptoms be minimal and pass fast 

best wishes

edit: it was Karen not Raven who mentioned corn  starch

my bad entirely 

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
Brain fog - who knows

I asked for their two products yesterday,onion and garlic.Onion powder's package doesnt have starch or wheat on ingredient list but garlic powder has corn starch . I dont have any intolerance to corn by the way.

They told me they add starch to two of their products so they are not gluten free. I dont understand why they would put on corn starch on list if it contains wheat starch.I sent another mail to them.

I had nausea last night and this morning but im not sure if it is because of powder or something else.

6 hours ago, lilo said:

I asked for their two products yesterday,onion and garlic.Onion powder's package doesnt have starch or wheat on ingredient list but garlic powder has corn starch . I dont have any intolerance to corn by the way.

They told me they add starch to two of their products so they are not gluten free. I dont understand why they would put on corn starch on list if it contains wheat starch.I sent another mail to them.

I had nausea last night and this morning but im not sure if it is because of powder or something else.

Either the person answering the phone or email is an  idiot or the company is failing to follow even the basic labeling laws.  Even without the Gluten labeling laws in the US, Canada, etc- there are laws that they can't label something as x but use y instead.  

I am betting 

Where are you buying this product?  Your previous posting indicated that you are not in the USA.  Labeling laws can be different depending on where you live.  

In any case, as a newly diagnosed celiac or NCGI, you should avoid foods processed foods until you feel better.  Use fresh onions for now.  

Recovery from celiac disease takes time.  You can have good days and bad days.  I hope that your good days soon outpace the bad!  

19 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Where are you buying this product?  Your previous posting indicated that you are not in the USA.  Labeling laws can be different depending on where you live.  

In any case, as a newly diagnosed celiac or NCGI, you should avoid foods processed foods until you feel better.  Use fresh onions for now.  

Recovery from celiac disease takes time.  You can have good days and bad days.  I hope that your good days soon outpace the bad!  

Thank you :) By the way im a very sensitive NCGI patient and it was the only processed food i used :( 

Could possibly be a cross-reaction to the corn starch, but if you're not sensitive to corn it shouldn't be an issue.  Your nausea may be from something else entirely, and it could be somatic...you're expecting a reaction and your body is kindly obliging.  We tend to blame every little blip on celiac, which is natural, until we learn over time what is and isn't a gluten reaction.

In the meantime, drink plenty of water and get some rest.  If you experience brain fog like I do, try a little extra vitamin B-12.

11 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Did you end up reacting?

No luckily i didn't :) I had nausea probably caused by eating more than I used to eat the day before. And the company sent me another email saying that it contains CORN GLUTEN ,not wheat gluten.