Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Been about 5 1/2 months since diagnosis.    For the last few weeks I've been waking up around 2 or 3am from a dream and can't get back to sleep.

Anyone had luck beating insomnia?   And what did you do to beat it.    Doing yoga didn't help.   I have a tweeked back and can't run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sddave said:

Been about 5 1/2 months since diagnosis.    For the last few weeks I've been waking up around 2 or 3am from a dream and can't get back to sleep.

Anyone had luck beating insomnia?   And what did you do to beat it.    Doing yoga didn't help.   I have a tweeked back and can't run.

I started going to bed earlier when this started happening to me about 3 years ago. Helped a little. My dad had just died and threw off my circadian rhythm. Then after about 6 months I had enough and asked my doc. She gave me trazadone which helps me fall asleep and stay asleep for the most part. If it's the weekend and I wake up in the middle of the night I take a benadryl. But I need a good 6 hours after taking it or else I'm super sleepy. Thus can't take it on weekdays as I get up at 5am.

good luck. I know it a HORRIBLE thing to go thru. So lonely feeling too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, sddave said:

Been about 5 1/2 months since diagnosis.    For the last few weeks I've been waking up around 2 or 3am from a dream and can't get back to sleep.

Anyone had luck beating insomnia?   And what did you do to beat it.    Doing yoga didn't help.   I have a tweeked back and can't run.

2tbsp pumpkin seed protein powder in a bit of almond/cashew milk into a paste/pudding before bed, Also taking magnesium....though when you get enough magnesium you start having very  vivid dreams.
Magnesium is present in pumpkin seeds also but additional supplementation will act a s a relaxant,

"Pumpkin seeds and the powder from pumpkin seeds have relatively high amounts of the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is the amino acid the body uses to make the feel-good and relaxation neurotransmitter serotonin and niacin."

Check Lucky Vitamin, this month there is a sell on Jarrow 15% off and Jarrow Pumpkin Seed Protein is one of the cheapest I have found and they just started selling it a month ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Check Lucky Vitamin, this month there is a sell on Jarrow 15% off and Jarrow Pumpkin Seed Protein is one of the cheapest I have found and they just started selling it a month ago.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

I started going to bed earlier when this started happening to me about 3 years ago. Helped a little. My dad had just died and threw off my circadian rhythm. Then after about 6 months I had enough and asked my doc. She gave me trazadone which helps me fall asleep and stay asleep for the most part. If it's the weekend and I wake up in the middle of the night I take a benadryl. But I need a good 6 hours after taking it or else I'm super sleepy. Thus can't take it on weekdays as I get up at 5am.

good luck. I know it a HORRIBLE thing to go thru. So lonely feeling too.

My doc gave me some Xanax which puts me sleep but because it's addictive didn't give me many.   After a month I stop taking it I started waking up sometimes sweating and because of previous pins and needles I was getting has me start taking generic Zoloft due to anxiety...he says.   Had a bunch of blood tests and every is ok.   Thought something else might be going on.

The generic Zoloft don't seem to help me sleep ALL night and don't know if I want to take them because of side effects.  I've only taken them for about 5 days now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sddave said:

My doc gave me some Xanax which puts me sleep but because it's addictive didn't give me many.   After a month I stop taking it I started waking up sometimes sweating and because of previous pins and needles I was getting has me start taking generic Zoloft due to anxiety...he says.   Had a bunch of blood tests and every is ok.   Thought something else might be going on.

The generic Zoloft don't seem to help me sleep ALL night and don't know if I want to take them because of side effects.  I've only taken them for about 5 days now.

..Pins/Needles one of the signs of magnesium deficiency along with insomnia and various other issues might look up Doctors Best Magnesium Glycinate powder while your at on Lucky, Not the best tasting but some in a glass or a shot before bed should help.
Emotional stress greatly increases your need for magnesium, and gut damage makes it harder to absorb so it sorta spirals out of control with the pain, cramps, needles, insomnia, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

..Pins/Needles one of the signs of magnesium deficiency along with insomnia and various other issues might look up Doctors Best Magnesium Glycinate powder while your at on Lucky,

Are you talking about this power?

 

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1009582-doctor-s-best-high-absorption-magnesium-powder-with-traacs-100-chelated-200-mg-7-1-oz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sddave said:

Yes that one is easier on the stomach then magnesium calm. Not as good for daytime use, but great for making you relax and sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tazodone gives me terrible stomach issues and it feels like I've been glutened.  I've been trying to find out if it does contain gluten.  The company (Apotex) claims to be gluten free but Trazodone is not on the list of it's gluten free products.  It did help me sleep, so I thought I'd ask my Dr to prescribe a mfg that advertises their Trazodone as gluten free.  If I still have a reaction, I guess I'll have to try something else.  Anyone else have this experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 11:05 AM, sddave said:

Been about 5 1/2 months since diagnosis.    For the last few weeks I've been waking up around 2 or 3am from a dream and can't get back to sleep.

Anyone had luck beating insomnia?   And what did you do to beat it.    Doing yoga didn't help.   I have a tweeked back and can't run.

sddave,

Ennis_tx is right find you some Magnesium as Magnesium Citrate or Magnesium Glycinate.

Here is the research on it entitled "The effect of magnesium supplementation on primary insomnia in elderly: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3703169/#ref56

Taking Magnesium  with each meal or 2/day and 1 hour before bedtime (if not convenient to take to work/supplement during the day) will help sleep.

I used Magnesium Citrate for years to help fatigue, sleep issues and charlie horses.  It can help depression too.

I know use Magnesium Glycinate I got all the above benefits plus a month after starting Magnesium Glycinate my heart rate dropped to a normal level.

I love the stuff!  When you can find a "stomach friendly" form and a highly bioavaible form like Magnesium Citrate (with meals . .. never on an empty stomach) and/or Magnesium Glycinate (no Magnesium flush)

Ennis_Tx has given you good advice on how to take it.

Here is the link on Magnesium and its association to depression entitled

"Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786/

they explain it well.

quoting

"Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression resulting from intraneuronal magnesium deficits. These magnesium ion neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium."

And why when low in Magnesium --- calcium overload stimulates your nerve ending keeping your mind from reaching a restful stage.

Magnesium is the "King Mineral" is the way I think of it.  The other electrolytes are controlled  by how much Magnesium the body has to keep the other electrolytes in there place/balance and (homeostasis/balance) is restored by taking Magnesium Glycinate or Magnesium Citrate (two highly biovaible forms).

This British Medical Journal (BMJ) if you want to study it more for yourself has exhaustive information on this topic entitled "Subclinical magnesium deficiency: a principal driver of cardiovascular disease and a public health crisis".

http://openheart.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000668

*** This is not medical advice and should not be considered such. Results may vary. Always consult your doctor before making any changes to your medical regimen.

Again I hope this is helpful.

2 Tim 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

Posteroboy by the grace of God,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Discussions

    It is ugly truth that taking vitamins/minerals with RDA and AI can leads to major side effect. Biotin: it comes in food and supplement. It is highly suggested not to take it doses more than 30 µg. Its biggest sources is almond,cauliflower ...
    This is great advice, my mother and grand mother (both Hispanic) always would get the freshest ones and dip in the sauce before rolling. When reheating it varied with tortillas on freshness (and how much of a hurry) but they either heated...
    Hello.  Sorry you're so worried about your daughter.  You're a good mom to search for answers. Hope you're ready to read some articles..... B12 deficiency can cause abdominal pain... https://www.livestrong.com/article/478308-can-a...
×
×
  • Create New...