Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fisharefriendsnotfood

Just Wanted To Tell You About A Cool Thing That Happened To Me Today

Today at lunchtime, I was sitting with my friends and one asks me if the macaroni I was eating was made of rice. I say yes, another friend asks why, I say I'm Celiac, and this girl turns around and goes, "Hey! My mom's allergic to wheat but she thinks she's Celiac."

I thought that was pretty cool all on its own, but:

In tech today, we were doing this survey assignment thing and our group decides we're doing it on food. So we're making up questions about how many times a week do you eat fast food, etc. and I say how I don't usually eat at fast food restaurants because I have a ton of allergies. (Hahaha.) This guy in my group asks what I'm allergic to, I say wheat and stuff like that, and then a girl in my group says, "Oh, my sister's Celiac. Are you?"

How cool is that? Twice in one day.

Just thought I should share.

-Jackie

14 years old

Diagnosed with celiac disease in 1993

Totally gluten-free since 1993

"All there is in life is wheat...Oh, wheat! Lots of wheat! Fields of wheat! A tremendous amount of wheat! Yellow wheat. Red wheat. Wheat with feathers. Cream of wheat!" - Woody Allen, Love and Death

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That really is very COOL. It's so hard to find anyone who's even heard of it.

I've yet to meet anyone out in the world that has it. Any day now, I guess :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

That's really cool! Actually, I think it's quite common. I design kitchens, and you get to know people well. It's surprising how many of my clients have celiac, and require two ovens or seperate drawers. I also noticed, that when I'm shopping for my gluten-free foods, there always out of what I need. Someone's buying it! I think alot of people stay quiet about it, because of the symptoms! No one likes to say,"Hey, if I eat that, I'll be sitting on the toilet all day with diarrhea." lol Anyways, it's always nice to meet someone else that's dealing with the same problems we have!! :)

Dear Jackie: That is great - all in one day!

D.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003