Rate this topic

I would like some help in understanding my results from the 23andme test. I am being told that I have 2 copies of a genetic variant that was tested. The variants were detected in the HLA-DQA1 gene. "We detected two copies of a variant linked to the HLA-DQ2.5 haplotype." Do do these results mean? In the HLA-DQ2.5 - HLA-DQa1 - rs2187668 - there are two TT. 

Is this bad?

Is this what is mean by having homozygous hla dqa2.5?

I am new to all of this and am just looking for some answers. I am concerned about being at risk for celiac disease. Thanks!

Celiac Profile.jpg

22 minutes ago, eswni said:

I would like some help in understanding my results from the 23andme test. I am being told that I have 2 copies of a genetic variant that was tested. The variants were detected in the HLA-DQA1 gene. "We detected two copies of a variant linked to the HLA-DQ2.5 haplotype." Do do these results mean? In the HLA-DQ2.5 - HLA-DQa1 - rs2187668 - there are two TT. 

Is this bad?

Is this what is mean by having homozygous hla dqa2.5?

I am new to all of this and am just looking for some answers. I am concerned about being at risk for celiac disease. Thanks!

Celiac Profile.jpg

Welcome! 

I am not a doctor nor did I ever have genetic testing, but in all my research, genetic testing for celiac disease is to help RULE IT OUT and not to diagnose.  Why?  Some 30% (or more) of the population have the genes that could develop into celiac disease.  COULD.  It is not common.  So, you have a slight chance of developing celiac disease in your lifetime.  Will it happen?  Who knows? 

The good news is that if you suspect celiac disease, you can ask your doctor to order some blood tests to see if you are producing antibodies for celiac disease.  Learn more here about testing and to back up my statements:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/understanding-celiac-disease-2/diagnosing-celiac-disease/screening/

Edited by cyclinglady